Reason 12 is here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

They want to drive people to the subscription model.

machine_spirit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:24 pm This is obviously just another step towards making Reason+ the only option. 499€ for standard perpetual license? They don't seriously consider these prices viable, they are entirely aware where Reason finds itself on the market and the pricing of the competition.
think it's because of the/step towards the non-official version, btw. dunno why only S1 has rent-to-own construction on splice
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:20 pm Let's be honest for a second: You and I have no idea about the internal financial situation of Reason Studios. Therefor we can both only speculate what it costs them, what they earn, and how much of a price raise is justified for them to sell their software, and do a good living.
If I remember correctly, annual business figures are "public" in Sweden. So it is (in theory) possible to get a coarse picture of their business development over the past years.

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:49 am New features:
Press release:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/comb ... -reason-12

Shop ($/EUR129 upgrade from full Reason, $/EUR299 from Intro/Lite):

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/product/reason-12/

Video:

https://youtu.be/o_3u4Vxt_Ko
Mimic doesn't have time-stretching. It has Transient detection though.

Eclectrophonic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:28 pm Mimic doesn't have time-stretching. It has Transient detection though.
Yes, Minic does have (real-time) time-stretching.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Crossinger wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:56 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:20 pm Let's be honest for a second: You and I have no idea about the internal financial situation of Reason Studios. Therefor we can both only speculate what it costs them, what they earn, and how much of a price raise is justified for them to sell their software, and do a good living.
If I remember correctly, annual business figures are "public" in Sweden. So it is (in theory) possible to get a coarse picture of their business development over the past years.
Yep they are! https://www.allabolag.se/5565462206/bokslut

Last time Reason Studio/Propellerheads didnt make a profit was 2012....

And if you have the time and want to read their yearly reports you can find them at https://www.hitta.se/f%C3%B6retagsinfor ... 5565462206

One interesting thing you find there is that the original PH-founders own about 31 per cent of the company....

And, I dont think any company really would rise their prices if things didnt look good.
Last edited by noremorse on Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

machine_spirit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:24 pm This is obviously just another step towards making Reason+ the only option. 499€ for standard perpetual license? They don't seriously consider these prices viable, they are entirely aware where Reason finds itself on the market and the pricing of the competition.
would be legit thou, if i get lets say after a 2 years subscription my hands on a product - thats then 2 years old - with a permanent license usable offline.

but my guess is they want the whole shebang, all of the cake, including the crumbles...just to make sure you pay for another two or three years with nothing at the end than being a HAPPY CUSTOMER...so they can bend you over a little more and service your account ;D

Footage of Reason Studios dealing with a customer:
https://youtu.be/WpE_xMRiCLE
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

noremorse wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:52 pm And, I dont think any company really would rise their prices if things didnt look good.
You're right. It's usually a sign of things looking good.

in this chaos, i would like to know what were the normal sale prices, i.e. in percentages, 30%, sometimes 40% or more or less.
so one can calculate when there is as sale, how much it will cost. because mainly you buy updates/upgrades in sale, not always, it depends. well doesn't matter!

percentages please!! he he

chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:57 pm That's how I do it with Studio One. IF I even upgrade when version 6 comes out... really highly depends on the added features, or improvements.

Imagine you upgrade from Reason 1 to Reason 12. Quite revolutionary. :P
i have 6 here...

vurt wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:01 pm i have 6 here...
6-to-12 is pretty incredible, and absolutely worth the current $129 USD being asked, IMHO. :party: I mean, unless you really enjoy ReWire to another DAW, in which case - say on 6.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:10 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:01 pm i have 6 here...
6-to-12 is pretty incredible, and absolutely worth the current $129 USD being asked, IMHO. :party: I mean, unless you really enjoy ReWire to another DAW, in which case - say on 6.
tbh, i only bought it because thats what we were using in college alongside pro tools.
so i could work on stuff outside of college hours.

havent loaded it up in yeaaaaars!!!!
but thats kind of a tempting price, given what it is.
definitely worth considering :)

Well there's one good thing with this price increase. Anyone new to DAWs is less likely to spend a significant chunk of money on a perpetual license of Reason now since it's the most expensive standard version available, thus avoiding investing in a DAW and type of license which IMO the developer is clearly very hesitant to support.

machine_spirit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:50 pm Well there's one good thing with this price increase. Anyone new to DAWs is less likely to spend a significant chunk of money on a perpetual license of Reason now since it's the most expensive standard version available
What do you mean?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”