WHATS NEW in the Studio One 5.4 UPDATE! | NATIVE Apple M1 Silicon Support!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fornicras wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:59 am
- Potential crash when selecting Browser tabs
When I read this in the bug fixes section I thought my problem was also solved. But it still happens.

When I select "Files" section in the browser which has my "Drum Kits" folder in it, Studio One freezes for 30-40 seconds, then opens the Drum Kits folder inside Files. At first, I thought it was because of my drive (SSD), and checked it manually, when I open Drum Kits folder in Windows Explorer it opens up instantly without freezing or waiting, same for FL. But in Studio One it just freezes for 30 seconds, it really kills the workflow.

I created a ticket last week they said they know the issue and it will be fixed, and today support sent me a message that they solved this in 5.4 but as it can be seen from the notes, it solves the crashing not freezing. I don't have a crash, it just freezes without crashing.

Anyone else experienced the same problem? I'm waiting for support's reply right now.
It seems my version of this is solved. Experienced this freeze/crash every single day, multiple times even. What happened was during playback I could not use the browser or everything would freeze. Only solution was to force quit Studio One. Even conditioned myself to not use the browser during playback but still made the mistake daily almost, tested it yesterday and so far so good.. Hopefully yours will be fixed soon as well!

simmo75 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:40 am I wish the Windows wankers would f**k off so Presonus can work on nothing but Mac OS fixes.
Without the windows users there would be no Studio One... from 20 customers a company cannot make any living from :hihi:

Danilo Villanova wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:50 pmDoes plugin Nap work with instruments as well or just fx?
No, it only works with effects, which makes it a complete waste of time for me. Very disappointing.
apoclypse wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:13 pmReally? That's why Apple stopped all development for Windows of ALL the products they bought then, and keeps closing their platform.
That's right and within 12 months of ending support for other platforms, Shake was dead in the water. They kept selling it for a few more years but absolutely nobody bought it. I'd also be very surprised if Logic was as even half as popular as it used to be when it was cross-platform. It was the same price as Cubase before Apple bought it, now look at how cheap they have to sell it - one-third of what it was once worth. It's got to be the only time in history that Apple has sold something more cheaply than all it's competitors. I'm sure the genius who thought of that is still getting bonuses. Not.
You think Adobe keeps supporting Apple out of the kindness of their hearts?
No, they do it because the industries they serve tend to be ultra-conservative so they don't look beyond what they were taught on in art school. But if my workplace is any indication, that is changing and I can see Apple losing a lot of business in the industry in coming years. After more than 25 years on Mac, my company switched to PC this year. They bought something like 1500 HP laptops for office employees, plus 80 or more HP workstations for us. I don't think there is a single Mac left in the building any more. If you'd told me even 5 years ago that something like that would happen where I work, I'd have laughed in your face. Mac was so entrenched, now it's gone.
Remember UWP, how did that work out for Microsoft.
Remember? UWP hasn't gone anywhere, it's what underpins all the apps that run on Windows 10 for ARM, for example. But if you're only developing for x86/x64, you don't need it so you wouldn't bother with it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:51 amNo, it only works with effects, which makes it a complete waste of time for me.
Technically that's incorrect - you actually gain time ;) :D :hug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I find the title of this thread amusing, because instead of saying that Studio One is now available on a completely new computer system running an ARM CPU, it says, in typical Apple fashion - *M1 Silicon*.
Its a totally meaningless made up Apple word to hide the fact that they are running a custom ARM chip, and is used only for marketing purposes.

Whether it will prove beneficial to introduce yet another OS called "Silicone" to accompany Windows, macOS, and Linux is a matter for debate.

All part of Apple's evil master plan. ;)

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:10 am I wish the Mac OS wankers would f**k off so Presonus can work on nothing but adding features instead of constantly fixing things that Apple broke.
Keep wishin... but the Mac OS wankers are gonna have their way. :hihi:

pdxindy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:50 pm
AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:10 am I wish the Mac OS wankers would f**k off so Presonus can work on nothing but adding features instead of constantly fixing things that Apple broke.
Keep wishin... but the Mac OS wankers are gonna have their way. :hihi:
I feel like you see me.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Ah yes KVR, the usual muppets in a decade-old Mac v PC debate. Anyhow does anyone think that the big chord window thingy is pretty pointless without some kind of bar/beat reference to know when to change chord? seems pretty useless without that basic functionality.
Last edited by woodsdenis on Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

That's right and within 12 months of ending support for other platforms, Shake was dead in the water. They kept selling it for a few more years but absolutely nobody bought it. I'd also be very surprised if Logic was as even half as popular as it used to be when it was cross-platform. It was the same price as Cubase before Apple bought it, now look at how cheap they have to sell it - one-third of what it was once worth. It's got to be the only time in history that Apple has sold something more cheaply than all it's competitors. I'm sure the genius who thought of that is still getting bonuses. Not.
Logic is more popular than ever. It's more popular now than when it was a standalone product (the market is also a bit bigger today in general) Sometime you like to just write nonsense just to write it. Before Apple bought Logic DAWs were really expensive. When they dropped their prices that forced all DAWs across the board (except Ableton which has only gotten more expensive, but that took time) to lower their prices. Logic was $999 for the full suite. You can't do that unless you have market forces behind you.

Logic is not the only time Apple has sold something more cheaply than their competitors in the software space. It's how they operate. Logic was already selling for $199 since version 7 for the standard non pro edition. The software is used to sell their platform. They don't need the money from their pro software. It's used primarily to push their technology, the App Store, and to show other pro app developers the way forward on their platform.

I won't talk too much about Shake since I don't know Apple's intentions with Shake. They more than likely bought the company for the technology and developers than the product itself which Apple has done before (Redmatica for example). Apple did keep it around for a while though before they killed it after bringing out Motion. By that point Nuke was already the defacto standard in composting for film and Apple didn't seem that interested in that market to begin with.
No, they do it because the industries they serve tend to be ultra-conservative so they don't look beyond what they were taught on in art school. But if my workplace is any indication, that is changing and I can see Apple losing a lot of business in the industry in coming years. After more than 25 years on Mac, my company switched to PC this year. They bought something like 1500 HP laptops for office employees, plus 80 or more HP workstations for us. I don't think there is a single Mac left in the building any more. If you'd told me even 5 years ago that something like that would happen where I work, I'd have laughed in your face. Mac was so entrenched, now it's gone.
That may be true in your place, not true in mine which has only ramped up buying Apple products, we have close to 300+ Apple machines. Haven't had anybody request going from Mac to PC in all my years (close to two decades). Never. Do with that what you will. Considering Apple Macs are still showing significant growth in the PC market while others are struggling shows that there is still demand for Apple machines. In fact they their shipments are up by 49% in Q4 2020 and their market share actually went up. You don't have to believe me on those numbers, look it up on business wire. Apple is still the 4th largest PC OEM in the market and they don't even do enterprise level deployments, your Dell, HPs, or Lenovo.
Remember? UWP hasn't gone anywhere, it's what underpins all the apps that run on Windows 10 for ARM, for example. But if you're only developing for x86/x64, you don't need it so you wouldn't bother with it.
Which is exactly what I wrote. MS would love developers to use UWP. Right now they want to transition to ARM, Win32 is going to make things very difficult for them in that regard though they can port most of winapi over. By forcing developers to use their technologies when they want them to Apple has accelerated their transition from x64 to ARM fairly quickly. Less than a year in and we already have a lot of pro software ported and M1 ready. Can MS say the same? No they couldn't. UWP is not Microsoft's first try at introducing a Winapi replacement but developers don't use it (inlcuding their own teams). That's the point. They need to get developers to buy in. Apple can do that and developers follow no matter how much they complain about it.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:56 pmLogic is more popular than ever. It's more popular now than when it was a standalone product (the market is also a bit bigger today in general)
Show me the figures and explain why, if it is so popular, Apple have to sell it for les than half as much as every other mainstream DAW? Even FL Studio is considerably more expensive for an equivalent version. It looks to me like they basically have to give it away to keep it going which, as I said, is not how Apple normally does things.
Before Apple bought Logic DAWs were really expensive.
They still are. When I bought Cubase VST 3.5 in 2001 (I think) it was around Au$850. Today Cubase is Au$872. Buy don't let the facts cloud your perception.
I won't talk too much about Shake since I don't know Apple's intentions with Shake. They more than likely bought the company for the technology and developers than the product itself
You admit you have no idea then tell us what you think anyway. The reality is that Apple acquired Shake and Logic at the same time, for the same reasons - buoyed by the runaway success of Final Cut Pro, they thought they could repeat that success with other industry-standard creative applications. But their strategy failed dismally - no-one in visual effects was going to shift to Mac just to run Shake, which was starting to feel old and clunky already, and it's highly likely that very few people using Logic on PC switched to Mac, either. So they lost half of their Logic user base and all of their Shake user base in a couple of years and, later, they shafted everyone who had invested in Final Cut Pro and lost that market, too. FCP was a big part of the reason we stuck with Mac where I work for so long but after they screwed that pooch, all our editors moved to Avid and there was no reason to continue to put up with Apple.
By that point Nuke was already the defacto standard in composting for film.
No, it was not. Nuke only started to gain traction when The Foundry (its new owners) hired the Shake GUI designers and made-over Nuke to feel instantly familiar to Shake artists. Weta Digital, for example, absolutely hated Nuke and twice paid Apple for the Shake source code so they could continue development for Linux after Apple had stopped doing it. It was another two or three years before they gave up and finally switched to Nuke. Once they went that way, a lot of smaller post houses followed but that process took time and it was Apple who opened the door for Nuke in the first place. (I know about this intimately, having worked for Discreet/Autodesk at the time, trying to flog our own overpriced product to all the pissed off Shake houses and knowing people, who I had worked with, who had gone to Nothing Real (Shake) before Apple bought them.)
That may be true in your place, not true in mine which has only ramped up buying Apple products, we have close to 300+ Apple machines.
Really? And what do you actually do? I don't know anywhere that does serious 3D on Mac. There was a post house in Adelaide who did for a while but, AFAIK, they (unsurprisingly) went out of business a while ago. When I worked for Discreet, 2003-2008, I reckon less than a third of the customers I covered, all over Asia, were Mac users and I can't see any reason that would have improved for Apple over the years. And with their new MacPro, they have totally priced themselves out of the market. To spec one up to the standard of my Z Series HP workstation would literally cost Au$10k more - Au$19k v Au$8.5 and it still wouldn't have been as good (AMD graphics aren't a patch on nVidia Quadro). No company in their right mind is going to be able to justify that.

As for the company I work for, they are Australia's biggest media company, owning the no. 1 TV and radio networks in the country, the no. 2 streaming service (behind only Netflix) and a raft of the biggest daily newspaper titles. What we do, everyone else will eventually copy, although in this particular move I think we are probably behind many others. When I started here in 2012, only one other person had a PC at home, today it's the exact opposite - only two of us are still clinging to their ancient Macs or the free iMac they were offered when we switched over (most of them ended up in landfill).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Did Apple sell Logic for $199 before the Camel Audio buyout ? Just curious ! Seems there are a bunch of Windows synths/samplers similar to Alchemy nowadays anyhow ? I had Logic Express 9 on an Intel core2 clam shell MacBook , it loved to crash . I buy Apple stuff for my family , took a good look at the Mac mini M1 didnt like the lack of USB ports and the soldered ram and soldered ssd inside deal breaker .... I really wanted to like the m1 mini .... The new iphone 13 is basically the 12 lolz . The new ipad mini has usbc finally but why not iphone13 lolz . Glad I'm on Android . To be honest new iPad mini looks nice . Anyhow FK Mac and FK Apple it's complete FKN garbage they sell now . How many FKN OSX updates and iOS updates all the FKN time it's worthless . Oh and Microsoft and Windows 11 WTF is the point you are getting as bad as Apple , let people mod the GUI like Linux distros nobody gives a FK about Windows 11 dock thingy totally looks garbage . Anyhow hats off to Presonus for 5.4 and M1 silicon . Glad this was NOT 5.5 ...

They still are. When I bought Cubase VST 3.5 in 2001 (I think) it was around Au$850. Today Cubase is Au$872. Buy don't let the facts cloud your perception.
Facts huh. I don’t know what AU pricing looks like but in the US Cubase SX in 2004 was $799. Logic at the time was $999 for what was called the big box version.

In 2004/2005 or so Apple lowers the price of Logic to $699 and just calls the big box version Logic Pro. Steinberg releases Cubase 4 at $699. In 2007 Apple releases Logic 8 at $499. Cubase releases Cubase 5 two years later in 2009 at $499 and pretty much stayed that way until Cubase releases version 7. On top that in between that Apple released Logic Express at $299 initially. Cubase released Cubase Studio at $299 and has pretty much had that tier since with different names.

My sources SOS, KVR, Wayback machine and mix online. This can all be verified. Where are your “facts”?

As for the rest I don’t have time to respond to everything right now. Either way we should keep this on topic (about music software) going forward.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Yeah, let all the bullshit you're spreading stand. Fat chance. I don't need to provide more facts than I have, I wasn't dressing up my own opinion as fact like you were.

woodsdenis wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:31 pmAnyhow does anyone think that the big chord window thingy is pretty pointless without some kind of bar/beat reference to know when to change chord? seems pretty useless without that basic functionality.
If you pay attention to the videos you'll notice that there's a progress bar on top of that window below the 3 tabs, which indicates how long the current chord is going to play for.

BTW - and this wasn't shown in Joe's video - in Note Editor Inspector there's now (I don't thinnk it was there before?) indication of what chord you've played, what chord your cursor is at or what chord you've actively selected:

https://youtu.be/LNXP5PZnB3A
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”