Arturia SQ 80 V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SQ80 V

Is there a preset remotely similar to it in SQ80 V already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIcPawP_0KM

So I imported all the sysex banks and named them yesterday, I've opened it up today and they all appear to be duplicated.
All my banks now have 80 rather than 40 patches with 2 copies of the same presets in each bank.

Anyone else??

EDIT: I have checked the folders in my user locations and they have 40 files in each one. Still showing 80 in the SQ8V patch library.
Synth Presets and Music
https://linktr.ee/BoBSwanS

Aloysius wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:57 am Good to know people are getting it activated. It gives me hope that one day I will too.
Same here! It's two days now and I haven't heard from them! Bit of a bummer :(

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:50 am The issue could be with the import. Perhaps something isn't translating correctly.
My guess is that Arturia’s taken some liberties with parameter ranges and this is the problem. They definitely did it with OB-Xa V. I didn’t have an OB-Xa to compare it to, but assuming Obsession is as close to an OB-Xa as Legend is to a Model D, OB-Xa is profoundly different than Obsession. I’m pretty sure the Synapse Audio emulation is correct, or at least as close as an emulation goes these days. Anyway, I compared Obsession to OB-Xa V before purchasing Obsession and I was surprised by this. It’s like they’re not even emulating the same synth at all, but just two Oberheim synths. I appreciate the liberties Arturia took, as it gives more creative options. Maybe they went the same route there. I’d try tweaking the presets by ear before I got all upset.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Examigan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:13 pm Is there a preset remotely similar to it in SQ80 V already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIcPawP_0KM
https://youtu.be/6QJtiB2bT0U

Yeah the system presets definitely sound different on import. Hopefully they can fix this.

Bulbizarre wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:23 pm I have an issue with the sysex imports of original ensoniq banks, all patches are panned right. There is systematically an lfo or enveloppe assigned modulating the main pan. Looks like some mistake in the import mapping. Maybe it should be modulating the Level knob instead.
I'm not getting all the patches panned right but some of them certainly. It seems like the import isn't quite 1:1 but the Pan issue can be manually fixed rather easily for now. Maybe Arturia can look at the import issue and tweak it a bit.

The greater issue I've been having is when importing multiple banks one after another. That seems to cause problems but I haven't been able to nail down what's actually happening. It's weird and a bit hit and miss.

Importing a single bank, saving your favorite patches out of it, deleting the bank and loading another seems to be the way to go at this point.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Basspartout wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:04 pm oh, no, sorry, with the 'Licensing' Issue I meant that Arturia is not able to deliver my license for my full version of the SQ.
Oh no I'm sorry. I thought I had read earlier that someone had questioned if Arturia had received legal permission to emulate the SQ80 and wrongly thought that's what you were asking. :oops:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Basspartout wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:54 pm
Aloysius wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:57 am Good to know people are getting it activated. It gives me hope that one day I will too.
Same here! It's two days now and I haven't heard from them! Bit of a bummer :(
After I bought it off the Arturia website, it was automatically in my account, then I just went to the trial I already had installed on my PC and clicked on the 'Activate' button.

Is that not working for you? There was no delay at all in all this occurring (in my case). I bought yesterday.

olepro wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:10 am This patch is imported and is my own creation
There's many others of my patches not sounding right in the Arturia synth
SQ8L is spot on compared to the hardware
I am in dialog with Arturia :-)
Could it be an issue importing directly from the hardware rather than a older sysex file?

All I have to go on now is memories of my ESQ-1 and the SQ80 and based on those the SQ80-V did seem to capture the original patches fairly well other than the panning issue that others have mentioned.

Have you been able to narrow down which parameters/modulators are affected so we could manually correct the patches until a fix is released?

I did see that Rainer Buchty is given special thanks in the manual so maybe he can help with the import issue. I don't know if Siegfried Kullmann who wrote the SQ8L code is involved or not. I don't see his named mentioned in the credits. But since as you say the SQ8L imports perfectly then obviously it's possible to do.

The import in SQ80V does need to be tweaked so it's good that you have made Arturia aware. :tu:
Last edited by Teksonik on Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

As an owner of V Collection 8, buying this now would that most likely give an reduced price when V Collection 9 drops?

It's not 100% sure, but very likely. The OB-Xa plugin was released a few months before VC8.
If I remember right, it was offered to VC owners for $50 and that exact amount was subtracted from the VC8 upgrade later, for OB-Xa V buyers.
Last edited by Niowiad on Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If the Arturia representative is still here: I am wondering if there could be any updates on the font for text?

The actual SQ80 hardware had this lovely vacuum florescent display. The 'font' appeared bold due to the softened edges. And the text almost floated in the middle of the panel. As far as displays go, it was magnificent. It was the tech gui representation of the '80s for me.

The font in the SQ80 V just looks like a harsh, digital font with no care into the original hardware. Maybe thats a vector graphics issue. But I would really like to see an update on that (outside of the larger Import issues resolved).

Great, thanks.

One last question, i really like the ESQ Mirage Bowed Strings patch.

Does someone knows if that would also somehow importable in the SQ 80 V ?

bob swans wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:30 pm So I imported all the sysex banks and named them yesterday, I've opened it up today and they all appear to be duplicated.
All my banks now have 80 rather than 40 patches with 2 copies of the same presets in each bank.
Anyone else??
EDIT: I have checked the folders in my user locations and they have 40 files in each one. Still showing 80 in the SQ8V patch library.
Yes that is kind of what I mentioned earlier. Something is definitely weird with bank import. :?
Teksonik wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:24 pm The greater issue I've been having is when importing multiple banks one after another. That seems to cause problems but I haven't been able to nail down what's actually happening. It's weird and a bit hit and miss.
Importing a single bank, saving your favorite patches out of it, deleting the bank and loading another seems to be the way to go at this point.
-------------
Anyway I just installed SQ8L and imported the same patch in both it and the SQ80V and I can hear the attack difference now. At first glance I can't seem to find what's causing it but the SQ8L import is definitely more percussive. All Attacks are set to 0 in the SQ80V so I'll keep looking to see what's going on.

Edit: The patch I'm testing is 33 Chime 1 from the esqx08.syx file. After further testing, on first note the attack in SQ80V is comparable to the SQ8L but subsequent notes don't have the same attack so it seems like a re-triggering issue. The SQ8L triggers each note the same. I'll keep looking....
Last edited by Teksonik on Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”