Cherry Audio Releases Mercury-4 Compuphonic Synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Mercury-4 Polyphonic Synthesizer

wwjd wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:36 pm You kidding? The black area is what I set my effects on!!!
jp4 .jpg
So your fx disappear behind the black bar when you touch the synths interface? :P

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:48 pm Gave it a demo and as expected it sounds like their other synths, and has a GUI that needlessly takes up a lot of screen real estate filled with small fuzzy fonts.
Nothing is fuzzy here, it couldn't be sharper. Could be your system/OS/graphic card/settings/whatever.

I don't mind space, I don't rent my pixels by the hour. I'm on an unlimited plan.

As for the sound of this synth, I got a chance to play around with it for a few minutes and the very first thing I did on it was this. It was an obvious choice for me, given that it's a jupiter-4 recreation.

I haven't nailed it 100% yet, I only spent a few minutes and I might be using some wrong inversions, but I came close enough that it brings a smile to my face and I am already happy with this synth.

My short Mercury-4 test:
https://easyupload.io/ttzk69
Last edited by Synth Master Jedi on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

I like their synths, but I want them to have more presets. Now I have absynth and massive lol.

kingozrecords wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:13 pm I like their synths, but I want them to have more presets. Now I have absynth and massive lol.
To be honest, I haven't even looked at the presets yet.

With these kind of old vintage analog synths, most of them are so easy and simple to use and program, that presets aren't even something that I think about.

I can understand having many presets in more complex modern synths though.

Vortifex wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:48 pm Gave it a demo and as expected it sounds like their other synths, and has a GUI that needlessly takes up a lot of screen real estate filled with small fuzzy fonts.
It’s by far the best ITB Jupiter-4 I’ve ever used.

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:06 pm
Nothing is fuzzy here, it couldn't be sharper. Could be your system/OS/graphic card/settings/whatever.

I don't mind space, I don't rent my pixels by the hour. I'm on an unlimited plan.
"couldn't be sharper" ...could not agree more. How could it possibly be sharper?? Are people using potatoes for monitors?

(will guess this forum will make these images less accurate)
fuzzy2.JPG
fuzzy2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeah GUI looks incredibly sharp here.

Looks good. Sounds good.

Since this is the only real Jupiter-4 emulation so far, the only thing I have to compare it with is the Roland ProMars plugin. The hardware is similar enough that there's some overlap possible, and indeed, when avoiding features that only exist in one or the other, they sound quite similar. (As usual, don't try to match them by setting the sliders to the same positions; you have to use your ear.) You can do some of the same dual-VCO stuff by setting voices to 2 and enabling unison, but the detuning doesn't stretch far enough to do harmonic intervals like 5ths (the ProMars can tune its second VCO +/- one octave).

The arpeggiator behavior is correct, which is great. It works the same way as the Jupiter-8 — all modes (except random) play in the order you played the keys, which is much more interesting than standard up/down arpeggiation.

The amp has its own volume (independent of the master volume), which lets you overdrive it internally. You can see the level LED light up when it's clipping. This has a similar effect to cranking up the volume on the ProMars plugin until the VU meters go into the red. I've never used a real JP-4, but I suspect overdriving the output is part of its aggressive sound.

Speaking of which, the built-in Space Echo is a really nice touch. No idea how close it is to the hardware (based on the steampunk technology inside that thing, I imagine it would be pretty challenging to emulate it perfectly), but it sounds good to me. I'm no Space Echo expert, but at some point maybe I'll compare it with Arturia's Space Echo and see how it stacks up, just for fun.

Anyway, I'll have to play around with it more, but so far my first impression is thumbs up.
Stormchild

Waiting for the Plugin Doctors to try and piss on Cherry’s chips…

Congratulations on this release Cherry, I’m really enjoying it and it looks crisp on my mac.

I love their synths, but I'm often too lazy to make presets. I'll probably buy this one in time.

Wanna post some examples of how it sounds like their other synths?

Or you could describe what sounds the same, and I could test it for you since I own all of them.

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:10 pm As for the sound of this synth, I got a chance to play around with it for a few minutes and the very first thing I did on it was this. It was an obvious choice for me, given that it's a jupiter-4 recreation.

I haven't nailed it 100% yet, I only spent a few minutes and I might be using some wrong inversions, but I came close enough that it brings a smile to my face and I am already happy with this synth.

My short Mercury-4 test:
https://easyupload.io/ttzk69
Are all the sounds in this test from the Mercury-4?

MartyK wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:22 am
Are all the sounds in this test from the Mercury-4?
No, they are most definitely not. Only the ARP is from the Mercury-4. I will clarify exactly what the sounds are:

(1) Drums = samples
(2) ARP = Mercury-4
(3) Bass + Guitar = stems

I thought that it would be obvious, but that's my mistake and the next time I post an audio example, I will clarify better.

Return to “Instruments”