Arturia SQ 80 V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SQ80 V

Teksonik wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:37 pm
mholloway wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:30 pm EDIT / UPDATE -- ok, I found the control that is causing this behavior (for me, for this patch, anyway) -- each SQ80 Envelope has a V. ATTACK setting in the top-left of the envelope window. This was set to various values across all four envelopes on the patch I was using, causing all kinds of Velocity - (env) Attack results! The mouse-over tip describes it as "SQ-80 Velocity Attack: Makes the attack time responsive to Velocity."
So that at least solves MY mystery. The behavior of it is kinda, strange, though: setting it to 0.00 screws up the patch and makes everything dark / slow on the attack, which is the opposite of what I was expecting -- but I think this has to do with the specific programming of this patch in particular. I'll mess with this setting while starting from INIT and I imagine I'll get more predictable results.
Ok cool let me try that. :tu:

I just wanted to report that a lot of the .syx banks aren't importing correctly in the SQ80V but do import fine into the SQ8L.

So what I did was export a bank from within the SQ8L and then it imported just fine into the SQ80V and it seems like the patches or at least the patch "Klunks" sounded much closer in both plugins. The attack issue seemed to be fixed in that patch but I'll have to try a bunch more to be sure. Maybe someone else can try export from SQ8L to see if they get the same results.

Oh and the Pan issues reported earlier are due to modulation on the DCA 4 Pan knob.

So the .syx import in the SQ80L is a bit wonky at least with some of the old .syx files that were linked in this thread. Loading a bank will only load a single patch which is what others have reported as well. But again that same bank will import all the patches into SQ8L although some banks report as "non Ensoniq" files in SQ8L and I'm guessing those are either files for other synths or corrupted.
EDIT: Ok that didn't work. Patches in that same bank still sound different. Try the ESQ_2.syx File found in the ESQ -1 Folder two down from CUSTOM.syx

In that bank should be the patches PWRSNK and CHIMES 1. Neither of those patches sound the same in SQ80V as they do in SQ8L and neither of them have any V Attack values in any of the four ENVs... :?

EDIT 2: Duh.... :dog: It appears to be ENV Reset =ON in the Voice panel. If someone else could test it that would be cool. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Excellent synth indeed! I don't know the original, but this one has an excellent design and sound. It is very easy to use as well :)

I went to my account and there was an additional discount :) Hard to resist! So, bought it for $69! Although I thought I wouldn't buy any new synth and I already sold my VC 7 and several other synths, but this one seems very special! I don't know, I just couldn't ignore it!

Teksonik wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:59 pm

EDIT 2: Duh.... :dog: It appears to be ENV Reset =ON in the Voice panel. If someone else could test it that would be cool. :)
Whoa, that indeed solves it on my end, too. Many patches, it seems, ENV Reset should be ON but SQ-80 V loads it as OFF. Once you turn it on, the envelopes sound correct on repeated key presses (for certain patches).

Great catch!

LFO settings are all over, wrong also
Master gain is always at max
Envelopes are wrong
Something about pan mod also
But just to say, you don't need the hardware Ensoniq synth to check SQ80-V sysex import.
SQ8L can be used as reference, because it does it spot on
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

olepro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:50 am LFO settings are all over, wrong also
Envelopes are wrong
But just to say, you don't need the hardware Ensoniq synth to check SQ80-V sysex import.
What are you even talking about? I've imported dozens of banks and they mostly sound fine / work fine. Some have needed a little tweaking, or turning on Env reset, as already noted.

I haven't had a single patch with "master gain always at max."

"Envelopes are wrong" -- how? What are you comparing?

It's not useful to just make loose, blanket assertions with nothing to back them up, no examples, no details.

It almost feels like you just have some anti-Arturia beef and need to, for unclear reasons, insist that only SQ8L is "correct."

But I don't know, maybe there's something to your claims, maybe there isn't -- but how could we know with a post like this?

mholloway wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:03 am
olepro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:50 am LFO settings are all over, wrong also
Envelopes are wrong
What are you even talking about? I've imported dozens of banks and they mostly sound fine / work fine. Some have needed a little tweaking, or turning on Env reset, as already noted.

I haven't had a single patch with "master gain always at max."

"Envelopes are wrong" -- how? What are you comparing?

It's not useful to just make loose, blanket assertions with nothing to back them up, no examples, no details.

It almost feels like you just have some anti-Arturia beef and need to, for unclear reasons, insist that only SQ8L is "correct."

But I don't know, maybe there's something to your claims, maybe there isn't -- but how could we know with a post like this?
Calm down please
I have the hardware Ensoniq SQ80 to compare with
I am in contact/dialog with Arturia about these problems and they know there is problems.
I think the Arturia synth is awsome, but I also think it is sad if it is not faithful to the original.
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

olepro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:20 am
Calm down please
I am in contact/dialog with Arturia about these problems and they know there is problems.
I think the Arturia synth is awsome, but I also think it is sad if it is not faithful to the original.
Being calm or un-calm has nothing to do with it. :tu:

Just because you have a hardware SQ-80 doesn't make your posts containing useless assertions lacking evidence, explanations or details any more useful.

Why even bother? Some of us have discussed literal observations + fixes, based on the controls available. Showing up saying "LFOs are all wrong" with no details about the situation is not helpful or useful. That's my opinion. If you don't find it calming, too bad!

mholloway wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:32 am
olepro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:20 am
Calm down please
Being calm or un-calm has nothing to do with it. :tu:

Just because you have a hardware SQ-80 doesn't make your posts containing useless assertions lacking evidence, explanations or details any more useful.

Why even bother? Some of us have discussed literal observations + fixes, based on the controls available. Showing up saying "LFOs are all wrong" with no details about the situation is not helpful or useful. That's my opinion. If you don't find it calming, too bad!
This was just to tell people that there are generally issues with sysex import if people are wondering why some patches sound wrong, and in that regard I aired some of the things I have noticed.
Here in the forum I do not need to add evidence, but of course I did when I wrote to Arturia.
All my observations are followed by both audio and associated sysex files and a text description for Arturia
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

I can’t find a noticeable difference when playing with “initial”, “delay” parameters in the LFO in the tutorial! I hope I’m getting it wrong! But the initial doesn’t do anything and the delay also! What to expect?

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:19 pm
Aloysius wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:15 pm That's good to know. I've written to them anyway, just in case.
Oh, I don't know for sure. That was just speculation on my part, so it's a good idea that you contacted them, if you want to get to the bottom of things.

I'm not sure how much Arturia limits their demos, but I've come across demos before from certain companies where many features were limited in the demo version, including save or recall functions.
You're right. That's a limitation of the demo version.

My bad, as you were!
Last edited by KennyG5000 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Will try that on my hardware Ensoniq to see if this is actually a part of the hardware behavior...
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

This is one of the finest software synthesizers I've ever used. I've been in total bliss the last couple of days. Deep in making sounds for it. I'll see if I can't share some of the sounds during the weekend.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Couldn't really resist, looking forward spending time with it this weekend :D

KennyG5000 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:30 am Just been comparing the SQ8L and Arturia, and one thing that is immediately noticeable on the SQ8L is a prominent 'stereo' effect, very chorus like, even on an INIT with a one voice saw. Checking this on an phase correlation meter and stereo scope it is apparent that there is something like chorus pre-applied (noticeably absent when you collapse to mono also). When checking the INIT single voice saw in the Arturia SQ-80 this behaves exactly like a mono voice would on the meters. It is definitely a flattering sound on the SQ8L (and I have no idea if a chorus is pre-applied to all voices on the hardware), but I wonder if this may account for the noticeable difference between the same patches on both VSTs? A similar sound can definitely be achieved with the Arturia using the in built chorus. Hopefully this will help with these comparisons!

https://youtu.be/tNgA4a3n9bc
Just listened to this youtube clip
You have two oscillators going in SQ8L, or something external FX
It does not sound like this with the init patch
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Return to “Instruments”