Reason 12 is here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machine_spirit wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:06 pm The rack at least deserves its own space. Trying to do anything with all three views on one monitor at the same time seems like the most frustrating DAW experience possible IMO.
i agree, but not all have that luxury. a 3 monitor setup works for me. also for reason of course, the Panorama P1 in front of the mixer view, next to the Rack view, so great for mixing and making presets. and other stuff of course.

@antic604 is right, some DAW's work perfectly on one screen, like ableton and bitwig. but i use also multiple screens for them, even for reaper.. but i used to have only Cubase, a 3 monitor setup, was the best way, monitors are almost all replaced, with new ones, except one, but that was already quite new.

2 x 1920x1080 (24" and 22" touchscreen, the rack is visible on the last one, touchscreen works for reason, but not that well as for ableton or bitwig), 1 x 2560x1440 (27").
no scaling.

EDIT: that is why i am still considering to buy Reason 12, although, because of the behavior of Reason Studios, lately. the website isn't a reason+ clickbait anymore, the only progress.
doesn't mean me still like Reason 11 Suite, and the great third party RE's i have.
Last edited by WasteLand on Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

machine_spirit wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:06 pm The rack at least deserves its own space. Trying to do anything with all three views on one monitor at the same time seems like the most frustrating DAW experience possible IMO.
FL Studio lol

Anywho. It really does benefit having 3 monitors though is still workable on a laptop, you just have to open and close the tabs

jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:11 pm Oh, btw. Antic: aere you not the leader of the gang of folks who demand folder-tracks?

Undock your rack and mixer and you'll be surprised on how many more tracks you'll suddenly manage to fit on your screen. :razz:
This doesn't solve the lack of track folders at all :dog:

antic604 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:35 pm
  • I'm not in a position now to have a separate monitor, let alone two of them. So I try to work with what I have.
  • Somehow other DAWs - Bitwig, Live, Studio One - make it possible to comfortably work on single screen
WasteLand wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:42 pm i agree, but not all have that luxury. a 3 monitor setup works for me. also for reason of course, the Panorama P1 in front of the mixer view, next to the Rack view, so great for mixing and making presets. and other stuff of course.

@antic604 is right, some DAW's work perfectly on one screen, like ableton and bitwig. but i use also multiple screens for them, even for reaper.

I really don't get what you guys are on about - I am on a single screen 15inch laptop myself and I always and without exeption use Reason's views undocked and maximized (my project template is set up this way).

Personally I do not usually (i.e. for most scenarios) see the benefit of multiple-screens anyway for DAWs anyway tbh. I am used to multi-screen setups from work and they can potentially be a great help, for instance if you have to enter many entries from the Outlook-Calender into an Excel-file, but even then it can - depending on the exact circumstances - be less of a hassle to simply use alt+tab instead (e.g. if you have to/want to copy and paste them, moving the cursor from one screen to the other is way to tedious and a good way to develop carpal tunnel syndrome (also keep in mind that it may not be the best thing for your neck either, because you tend to not look straight into either of the screens)). I think to a great extent it's really still (after all these years of working with computers) the users not really knowing how to properly operate the machine.

Reason is really great for single-screen useage, exactly because unlike e.g. Reaper and Studio One supports alt+tab on Windows i.e. it is much better these if you only use a single screen (and again:
in Reason your index-finger is often on the tabulator anyway, so you just need to add the thumb on alt to it).
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:14 pmI really don't get what you guys are on about - I am on a single screen 15inch laptop myself and I always and without exeption use Reason's views undocked and maximized (my project template is set up this way).
And I always and without exception have the windows docked and although usually I have only one workspace on the screen, sometimes I like to have 2 or even 3 and in this case I'd appreciate if RS implemented the tweaks I mentioned.

So I guess I'm talking about my preference, which - for some reason - seems to be alien and outlandish to you.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:14 pm I really don't get what you guys are on about
Well, yeah, I know - but not all of us here have the same capabilities. :shrug:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Exactly! ;-)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

antic604 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:40 pm
jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:14 pmI really don't get what you guys are on about - I am on a single screen 15inch laptop myself and I always and without exeption use Reason's views undocked and maximized (my project template is set up this way).
And I always and without exception have the windows docked and although usually I have only one workspace on the screen, sometimes I like to have 2 or even 3 and in this case I'd appreciate if RS implemented the tweaks I mentioned.

Disclaimer: we are only having this conversation because of the following:
antic604 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:50 pm
jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:43 pm Still haven't found out how to undock stuff then? :razz:
Why would he assuming he's using single screen?
As I said, whatever floats your boat, ...well... floats your boat.

Having said that, as a matter of fact there is two clear advantages to undocking both the mixer and the rack if you only have a single screen:

1) you gain precious screen estate

2) it can make switching between the three main workspaces easier and quicker, i.e. yield a more fluid workflow

jens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:06 am Having said that, as a matter of fact there is two clear advantages to undocking both the mixer and the rack if you only have a single screen:
2) it can make switching between the three main workspaces easier and quicker, i.e. yield a more fluid workflow
I don't find Alt+Tab to be any more efficient than F5-7 (and actually less so), especially if you have other stuff running in the background with their own windows that you now have to scroll through.

If I ever wanted to use undocking - and believe me, I tried! - I'd simply put Rack and Mixer on additional virtual desktops, so that a simple touchpad gesture scrolls between them and only them.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:19 am
jens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:06 am Having said that, as a matter of fact there is two clear advantages to undocking both the mixer and the rack if you only have a single screen:
I don't find Alt+Tab to be any more efficient than F5-7 (and actually less so), especially if you have other stuff running in the background with their own windows that you now have to scroll through.

If I ever wanted to use undocking - and believe me, I tried! - I'd simply put Rack and Mixer on additional virtual desktops, so that a simple touchpad gesture scrolls between them and only them.
If you have other stuff running in the background it won't affect alt+tab at all unless you bring it up.

The first tab-press will switch to the last window you used before the active one, the second to the one before that (and so forth), so your reply confirms what I said earlier about people sometimes having problems that stem from them not really being proficient users of their OS.

Perhaps I should make a short video that shows how swiftly and seamlessly you can switch between sequencer, rack and mixer if you have them undocked.
Even if you want to drag MIDI from (say) Superior Drummer onto the timeline, you only need to drag it and then you can use alt+tab to switch from the Rack over to the sequencer and subsequently drop the MIDI to wherever you want it. That's much easier and quicker than in most DAWs, where the plugin's GUI might be in your way by obscuring the timeline.

jens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:34 amPerhaps I should make a short video that shows how swiftly and seamlessly you can switch between sequencer, rack and mixer if you have them undocked.
Save your time. I've been using computers for 30+ years. I know how Alt+Tab works.
Music tech enthusiast

have you tried Nexus (mac like launcher) I usually opening(popping up) RapidFX from there in Cubase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVEIK4vLhfc
https://www.winstep.net/nexus.asp free one at least looks sexier than the windows one :D (able to hide it completely so can be same as the mac one, start menu remains reachable from win key)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

antic604 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:57 am
jens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:34 amPerhaps I should make a short video that shows how swiftly and seamlessly you can switch between sequencer, rack and mixer if you have them undocked.
Save your time. I've been using computers for 30+ years. I know how Alt+Tab works.
Going by what you wrote here, you don't, no. (Besides most of now have been using computers for a looooong time - and you can rest assured that this really isn't anything to go by... :lol: )

xbitz wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:00 am free one at least looks sexier than the windows one :D (able to hide it completely so can be same as the mac one, start menu remains reachable from win key)
well, if it looks sexier or not is in the eye of the beholder, but imo Windows is more user-friendly than OSX, which tends to make some typical productivity stuff more complicated or at least less flexible - window handling being a good example. But to be fair I never used Reason on OSX, so I have no experience regarding this particular scenario.

jens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:21 amGoing by what you wrote here, you don't, no. (Besides most of now have been using computers for a looooong time - and you can rest assured that this really isn't anything to go by... :lol: )
Sure. I was writing machine code in early 90s by inserting hex numbers directly into computer's RAM, because I couldn't afford a proper assembly language interpreter. Yet I've no idea how Alt+Tab works :dog:

I'm not sure why we're discussing individual preferences anymore, as if you somehow had monolpoly on what's the only correct way? Are you an alt-BONES account by any chance? ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”