How current you are with your DAW version?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion

How current you are with your DAW version?

I'm on the current version
78%
I'm 1 paid version behind
20%
I'm 2 paid versions behind
3%
I'm 3 paid versions behind
No votes
I'm 4 paid versions behind
No votes
I'm 5+ paid versions behind
No votes

Total votes: 80

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Re: DAW versions, I'm up-to-date on REAPER, one behind on Reason (unlikely to update soon), and probably a few versions behind on Renoise (haven't used for a few years!)
chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:57 am no MIDI monitor, so I have no way to figure out what's wrong with my MIDI controller, when, once again, it decides that it doesn't want to send MIDI messages when I plug it in...
It's included as a JS plugin, I did this recently.
It does the most basic things wrong
That's just, like, your opinion, man.

(I don't like automatic track arming, and I do like the master fader on left.)
lacks the most basic features that, really, every single DAW I ever tried has.
You didn't give any examples of those.
Last edited by imrae on Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I remain fashionably one paid update behind
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Logic 8, thats 2 behind (And I guess I never buy a Mac again so thats that, but still thats the one I use for most of the things I get paid for.....)
Reason 11 (but on subscription so I guess both current and 1 behind)
Mixbus 6, so 1 behind
Samplitude ProX3 suite, are they on ProX6 now? so I guess 3 behind

I use automatic updates to keep Live 11 up to date ... I usually buy any paid updates before release (it's cheaper). :)

I'm on Cubase 10.5. Considering the version I was on before that was SX2...I'll probably stay on Cubase 10.5 until it gets to maybe Cubase 18 or so. Maybe longer. It does what I bought it for, does everything I want (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it). And I just don't waste my money on constant upgrading for minor additions.

Mine is the current/latest version, as of when it was discontinued many years ago :hihi:

AnX wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:48 am Mine is the current/latest version, as of when it was discontinued many years ago :hihi:
That’s very easy to guess! Even without any hint :hihi:

always current

For my main DAW (Bitwig) I am current. But every year there are some months I am not. (as their upgrade policy makes you at least wait for their sales…)
I am current on Max/MSP as this is my main toy (which isn‘t a DAW…)
I am current on Acoustica, not sure if its considered a DAW, I use it for mastering…
Reaper is current, as their upgrade policy and price makes it hard to be not current, I would have to wait some years to get a chance…
Logic I am behind, as I am behind for good reasons with my OS. Otherwise its hard not to be current, as their upgrade policy is that you get them for free…
Live, I am one behind, as I got it just to be able to create Max4Live devices for friends and got it cheap because it was behind… (I still have a bunch of expansions with it, I don‘t need and are willing to sell…)
Digital Performer, I am behind at least 4, as I don‘t use it and its a NFR…
I am current on Ardour, as its open source and there is no point in not being current, but I don‘t use it at the moment…
I might have some Cubase light or however its called. Probably I am 4 or 5 behind and I don‘t care at all…
I also have some Tracktion/Waveform licenses, the free ones are behind by definition, but they are as buggy as the current ones so there is no point in upgrading or using them…

---
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

noremorse wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:12 pm Logic 8, thats 2 behind
Don‘t want to be pedantic, but that is 8 behind, as major updates since pro X are counted differently. 10.0 is six behind 10.6… I guess you are still on Snow Leopard to run old PPC programs?

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:31 am
noremorse wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:12 pm Logic 8, thats 2 behind
Don‘t want to be pedantic, but that is 8 behind, as major updates since pro X are counted differently. 10.0 is six behind 10.6… I guess you are still on Snow Leopard to run old PPC programs?
But is it 8 PAID versions behind? I was specifically asking about paid versions. If someone for whatever reason isn't updated to the very last version but is still on current paid version (e.g. 5.x for S1, 11.x for Ableton, 4.x for Bitwig) then that's "current" for the purpose of this poll.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

She would have to pay to get to 10.6... Logic 8 was sold in boxes, Logic X in the appstore didn't exist at that time... (I know I am pedantic maybe even pedantic604... ; - ) :hug:

Well - A few changes compared to the past.

Cakewalk Sonar: I had Sonar X1 in the past and upgraded that one to X3, but made the "jump" to Cubase after a year of subscription. Not only because I am not a "lover" (to put it mildly) of the subscription model, but Cubase was just better for my needs. I tried the free version of Sonar, but still like Cubase better.
Cubase: Until now I kept my Cubase up to date, and I probably will keep it that way.
Ableton Live: Sold the license and made the jump to Bitwig fulltime now. Not only did Bitwig fit my needs better, but in my honest opinion the users of the standard version got the short end of the stick with the latest upgrade. Almost all upgrades where for the suite version, letting the standard users out in the cold. That cemented my decision to do Bitwig only.
Bitwig: I bought Bitwig more than two years ago, and renewed at the start of this year after I sold my Ableton license.
Reason: I owned a license for a few years, but decided this year I did not used it enough to make the upgrade a valid thing to do. So - I sold that license too.

At the end I only use two DAW's at this moment (Bitwig and Cubase), and they are both fully up to date.

I could name FLStudio. But I bought that one years back, and have not used it for several years now (it's just not my piece of cake, and yes I have tested the newer updates and that made no difference). However - It always will stay up to date, because that's their license model, so you could say it belongs to the "up to date" group.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”