WHATS NEW in the Studio One 5.4 UPDATE! | NATIVE Apple M1 Silicon Support!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:28 am
Show me the figures and explain why, if it is so popular, Apple have to sell it for les than half as much as every other mainstream DAW?

Do you seriously not get it? It is clearly their business model - they seek to purchase whatever the consider to be the leading (or at least one of the leading) applications for a certain task (mostly creative stuff), then offer it inexpensively to their - and only their - computer customers as an additional enticement. That'S what they did with Logic, that's what they did with Alchemy (which now comes for free with Logic even though it all by itself cost more than Logic does now and was highly popular), that's what they did with Final Cut and whatever else. The product they're making the money with isn't the software, it's the hardware. They don't have to sell it for such a low price, they can. I assume they're mainly seeking to cover their development costs.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I'm finding plugin nap is quite effective at reducing CPU use for large projects. This alone would have made the point upgrade for me.

This update has been super solid so far. Fewer issues with plugins crashing Studio One when opening old projects. Specifically had one project crashing on open before the update that now open fine.

It's nice to see Presonus making Studio One faster and more stable.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

BONES wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:58 am Yeah, let all the bullshit you're spreading stand. Fat chance. I don't need to provide more facts than I have, I wasn't dressing up my own opinion as fact like you were.
It wasn't my opinion I actually posted real numbers, with real facts. You are the one spreading bullshit opinion as facts. Where are your receipts? You have any? No? So maybe just STFU then and stop spouting nonsense.

You were the one trying to say Logic must be failing (without facts and considering the large amount of data to the contrary you pulled that out of your ass like always). You then are pushing a narrative about how people are moving away from Apple, but their last quarterly numbers completely refute that. I have facts and numbers. What do you have, "feelings". GTFO of here with that.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Maybe we get this thread back on track to the Studio One 5.4 update
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I thought it was pretty obvious that Logic is the 3rd most popular DAW after Live and FL. At least that is how I observe in person and online.

I'm trying it and coming from logic it feels pretty home.
However there's some downright ridiculous things that i'm either doing wrong or are just not well thought out.
Is there a way to -replace- a plugin in an insert slot?
Right now it appears you need to unload it and then load a new one.

Also is there a way to reorder - insert directly? not just load and then move?

Also having to click folders to navigate between plugins - jesus? :clown:
It takes me 5 more clicks to replace a plugin or insert it somewhere else in chain that it does with Logic

edit: also double click to open plugin insert? is there a keyboard shortcut? Is this real? Anything I do takes 2x as much mouse clicks as in logic (or even cubase i think?). Are there settings somewhere i'm missing?

Ploki wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:43 pm I'm trying it and coming from logic it feels pretty home.
The answer to the first two questions is drag and drop. CMD + F, type the name, drag it over. If you’re new to Studio One, try dragging and dropping first for almost anything.

Thanks! I figured im missing something

Ploki wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:43 pm I'm trying it and coming from logic it feels pretty home.
However there's some downright ridiculous things that i'm either doing wrong or are just not well thought out.
Is there a way to -replace- a plugin in an insert slot?
Right now it appears you need to unload it and then load a new one.
You drag the new one on the same slot
Also is there a way to reorder - insert directly? not just load and then move?
What do you mean directly? You just grab 'em and drag 'em
Also having to click folders to navigate between plugins - jesus? :clown:
No, there is like a gazillion ways to order and display stuff in the browser... or do you mean something else?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Why is this thread title shouting at me ?

(My username is in all caps for a reason, in case anyone mentions it)
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

jens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:19 am No, there is like a gazillion ways to order and display stuff in the browser... or do you mean something else?
that opening a subfolder in plugin dropdown requires a click.
In logic it's a dropdown and anything you hover over automatically opens.

There's a few things in Logic i do all the time and are really throwing me off when in S1:
- position cursor somewhere between inserts and load a new insert. Having to have FX browser open is :dog:
- load a new insert in a random slot, not "next new slot" so i.e. i have EQ on the same slot for 5 tracks with similar processing, so when i select them all i can bypass them all at the same time, that means it may have few empty insert slots in between
- replace a plugin in place. in S1 i can do that with dragging if i have FX browser open, but again. Inspector is on the left, FX Browser is on the right. :evil:

Ploki wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:30 am
jens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:19 am No, there is like a gazillion ways to order and display stuff in the browser... or do you mean something else?
that opening a subfolder in plugin dropdown requires a click.
In logic it's a dropdown and anything you hover over automatically opens.

There's a few things in Logic i do all the time and are really throwing me off when in S1:
- position cursor somewhere between inserts and load a new insert. Having to have FX browser open is :dog:
- load a new insert in a random slot, not "next new slot" so i.e. i have EQ on the same slot for 5 tracks with similar processing, so when i select them all i can bypass them all at the same time, that means it may have few empty insert slots in between
- replace a plugin in place. in S1 i can do that with dragging if i have FX browser open, but again. Inspector is on the left, FX Browser is on the right. :evil:
There is a "+" sign in the inspector in the Inserts section.
Also you can click on a track number and there add insert with "+" sign again.
No need to open browser.

+ sign opens a browser and it adds a plugin next in the chain, in browsers i need to click subfolders, and then i need to move it because i can't just add to any slot with a + sign

so many clicks - that's my point.

i think there is a bug in this which i can replicate..
can someone please try the following and see if they get it too?

- create a new song
- create an Instrument (midi) track
- create an event and open the piano roll midi editor for it
- draw in 3 x C notes each on a different octave (so C1,C2,C3 for eg)

- then try and move the event or ALT drag to duplicate it somewhere.. S1 should crash.

all other notes work it's just C where it exists across 3 or more octaves.
there are other scenarios but this is the simplest to explain so i'll just stick with this for now.

pls post back here of you get the crash or if you're ok.. might just be me.
Windows 10

thx.
Last edited by Marbles099 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marbles099 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:02 pm i think there is a bug in this which i can replicate..
can someone please try the following and see if they get it too?

- create a new song
- create an Instrument (midi) track
- create an event and open the piano roll midi editor for it
- draw in 3 x C notes each on a different octave (so C1,C2,C3 for eg)

- then try and move the event or ALT drag to duplicate it somewhere.. S1 should crash.

all other notes work it's just C where it exists across 3 or more octaves.
there are other scenarios but this is the simplest to explain so i'll just stick with this for now.

pls post back here of you get the crash or if you're ok.. might just be me.

thx.
It crashed on Mac OS Catalina. Definitely a bug.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”