Yes. But I will change to 64 bit soon.
1%
Yes. I use the 32bit DAW.
19%

Total votes: 96

KVRAF
10505 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:33 am

It seems that some 64-bit installers/updaters will remove the 32-bit versions of the same plugin, which is nice :ud:

This has happened to me with some of the Arturia stuff, meaning that I can't install the latest 64-bit updates if I need to access the old 32-bit projects.

KVRAF
23276 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:20 pm

a delete-overwrite? that's idiotic. or statistically all of their customers are on OSX Catalina or Big Sur and all bets are off. :scared:

KVRAF
23276 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:22 pm

for me it actually would be nice. I may have things doing exactly that, & none the wiser

KVRAF
2066 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:11 pm

seismic1 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:33 am
It seems that some 64-bit installers/updaters will remove the 32-bit versions of the same plugin, which is nice :ud:

This has happened to me with some of the Arturia stuff, meaning that I can't install the latest 64-bit updates if I need to access the old 32-bit projects.
You can always go to Arturia's site to download whichever version of the installer you want. There's no telling if or when they'll change this, but for now, you can still grab whatever you need directly from them, bypassing ASC. If you then install the 32-bit versions after the 64-bit versions, you might be able to keep them both on your machine.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

KVRAF
2160 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:06 am

I have a modern laptop that runs 64 bit Windows, as well as a 64 bit Windows tablet (Microsoft Surface). However, I also have two old 32 bit Windows tablets that I have installed Renoise and various plugins on solely for music making purposes - one of them has an 8” screen and 1 GB of RAM. I use this one as a dedicated machine to run VST sequencers for my modular system and other hardware, and it performs this function just fine. The other one (2 GB RAM) has some older VST instruments such as Sylenth and Zebra, and you probably won’t be surprised to hear that it runs those synths with no problem. These tablets each cost less than $100. It is fun for me to push the limits of these tablets as music making devices. and continue to use them rather than consigning them to a landfill.

I don’t expect to be able to install the latest and greatest plugins on these tablets, or developers to continue to release 32 bit versions of their plugins. When they do, it is a bonus. So long as the last 32 bit version remains available to download in an archive, I am happy.

KVRAF
2997 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:01 am

That should be the mindset of everyone using legacy systems, to be happy with what they already got and make music with that.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”