Arturia SQ 80 V

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
16114 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:56 am

olepro wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:45 am
Yes, it's me in the readme.
I had dialog and testing with Siegfried Kuhlmann after the very first SQ8L release.
And you are right about SQ80-V
It is a great synth, and that's why i so much want the emulation part to be as good as possible
I'm with you all the way. I no longer own any Ensoniq hardware synths so can only go on memories at this point.

Since you still own an SQ80 I guess it will be up to you to make sure the emulation issues get fixed. I think Arturia should add you to the beta team if they haven't already so you can have direct access to the developers.

I can't imagine they didn't have a hardware unit at hand during development but it's possible they didn't which would explain why these issues were caught pretty quickly after the release.

I wonder if the leaked video caused them to release it sooner than they wanted. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRian
938 posts since 25 Jan, 2017

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:26 am

Teksonik wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:56 am
I can't imagine they didn't have a hardware unit at hand during development but it's possible they didn't which would explain why these issues were caught pretty quickly after the release.
Here they mention their own hardware unit.
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?top ... #msg185960

I wonder if the leaked video caused them to release it sooner than they wanted. :shrug:
I had the same suspicion. After all, the streaming guy was told it was going to be released in October.

KVRAF
1790 posts since 11 Jan, 2009 from Portland, OR, USA

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:37 am

My main gripe with Arturia is why they don't just go ahead and include all the Factory content in the initial release. Sure, we can find & import sysex files, but if you're releasing an Emulator II or a SQ-80 or a DX7 -- why not just include that stuff? You can still have a 'new factory' bank of arturia artist presets, but create an 'original factory' content bank alongside that, instead of just including half (or less!) of the stuff.
https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp.com/ - Noir-themed Dark Jazz
https://tvhwy.bandcamp.com/releases - classic IDM by TV HWY
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER

KVRAF
2481 posts since 31 Jan, 2003 from Ghent, Belgium

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:02 am

mholloway wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:37 am
My main gripe with Arturia is why they don't just go ahead and include all the Factory content in the initial release.
Maybe there are copyright "issues" in doing so - do you have a gripe with that? I don't know the licensing details, but I can imagine that it's possible that not all the factory presets belong to the same person/legal entity.

KVRAF

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:15 am

Niowiad wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:26 am
Here they mention their own hardware unit.
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?top ... #msg185960
Ahhh I see thanks. I had to think they have a hardware unit at hand.
Niowiad wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:26 am
I had the same suspicion. After all, the streaming guy was told it was going to be released in October.
It feels a bit rushed not just with the import issue but others as well. No deal breakers but just some tweaks needed. Of course no plugin is 100% issue free on first release it's just a matter of how the developer addresses those issues in future versions.

On that subject has anyone had issues with turning on/off individual Oscs? Sometimes turning one off doesn't mute it and sometimes turning one back on doesn't bring it back. I haven't been able to find the exact steps to reproduce it yet but it has happened on multiple occasions.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:18 am

mholloway wrote:
My main gripe with Arturia is why they don't just go ahead and include all the Factory content in the initial release. Sure, we can find & import sysex files, but if you're releasing an Emulator II or a SQ-80 or a DX7 -- why not just include that stuff? You can still have a 'new factory' bank of arturia artist presets, but create an 'original factory' content bank alongside that, instead of just including half (or less!) of the stuff.
Copyright issues? No telling how many people contributed to the original factory banks so getting permission from all of them might have been a problem?

I don't know just guessing.... :shrug:

Pick Me Pick me!
8998 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from a state of confusion

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:29 am

mholloway wrote:
If you're including someone else's content in your commercial project, that could present issues. Copyright and permissions. I'm not sure I'd be happy if someone just started selling my content (which is what is occurring if you bundle it with a product). Esp if they didn't get my permission first.

KVRAF
34402 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:34 am

Aloysius wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:17 am
I noticed today ... Opened a set in Live 11 that had a DEMO (still awaiting License) instance of SQ80V in it. The piano preset I had selected and saved with the set had changed to a completely different preset all by itself.

I've written to Arturia.
ARTURIA REPLIED:

This is correct, when the Arturia instruments are not activated and in DEMO mode, the Plug-in State will return to an initialize state or a default preset.
Hi-de-Hi!

KVRAF
2055 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:15 am

EnGee wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:32 pm
I can’t find a noticeable difference when playing with “initial”, “delay” parameters in the LFO in the tutorial! I hope I’m getting it wrong! But the initial doesn’t do anything and the delay also! What to expect?
What each does is very subtle, but if you try them at their extremes with certain LFO wave shapes, you'll start to hear what they do. The tuturial explains them a bit, and gives you a sample preset which may respond better than the preset you're trying to adjust now. With that sample and the tutorial's notes, you can hear what each one does (along with the "Amp" setting). But again, they're very subtle.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

KVRAF
7532 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from Auckland, NZ

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:41 am

planetearth wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:15 am
EnGee wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:32 pm
I can’t find a noticeable difference when playing with “initial”, “delay” parameters in the LFO in the tutorial! I hope I’m getting it wrong! But the initial doesn’t do anything and the delay also! What to expect?
What each does is very subtle, but if you try them at their extremes with certain LFO wave shapes, you'll start to hear what they do. The tuturial explains them a bit, and gives you a sample preset which may respond better than the preset you're trying to adjust now. With that sample and the tutorial's notes, you can hear what each one does (along with the "Amp" setting). But again, they're very subtle.

Steve
Thanks for the explanation. I don’t think it should be that subtle! It’s almost useless! I’ll report it as a bug and see ;)
Cubase 11 Pro, Bitwig Studio 4 on Win10/Ubuntu Studio and R5800x with
US-4x4 HR, Keylab 49 MK ii, MODX 6, DeepMind 12D, KK M32 and ATOM.

KVRist
130 posts since 21 Jun, 2013

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:17 pm

mholloway wrote:
As others have pointed out, it's probably to do with legal issues.

KVRAF

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:26 pm

Just a word of caution I had an issue where the Multi-Comp was not active even though its power light was on. I couldn't figure out why the Comp wasn't working and made some rather aggressive settings to see if I could trigger it. I turned the power light off then on again and boom the Comp started working.

I've had the power light on/off issue happen with the Oscs but this is the first time it's happened with the FX. Definitely a bug but reproducing it reliably has not been possible so far.

KVRAF
6037 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:50 pm

At first I couldn't hear a difference when I adjusted the Initial and Delay either. Then I used an Init preset and assigned LFO1 with a square wave (at about 8 Hz) to the Semi tuning of Osc1. Then if you play a note and slowly turn up the Delay amount (while playing the same note repteadly) you can hear what's going on. Then try it with the Inital setting while playing notes. It changes the start point of where it begins to get up to the correct level.

LFO.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRAF
7532 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from Auckland, NZ

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:02 pm

Examigan wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:50 pm
At first I couldn't hear a difference when I adjusted the Initial and Delay either. Then I used an Init preset and assigned LFO1 with a square wave (at about 8 Hz) to the Semi tuning of Osc1. Then if you play a note and slowly turn up the Delay amount (while playing the same note repteadly) you can hear what's going on. Then try it with the Inital setting while playing notes. It changes the start point of where it begins to get up to the correct level.

LFO.jpg
Great 👍 I'll try that.
Cubase 11 Pro, Bitwig Studio 4 on Win10/Ubuntu Studio and R5800x with
US-4x4 HR, Keylab 49 MK ii, MODX 6, DeepMind 12D, KK M32 and ATOM.

KVRist
336 posts since 17 Oct, 2006 from Franche-Comté

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:11 pm

I have also encountered OSC1 not switching on or off, at times, when controlling it via a REASON Combinator controls (button).
Then, works fine manually _
MacPro 2 X 3.06 GHz, D.P. 10.13 & Kontakt 6.4.2. _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Clavier CamelSpace & CamelPhatt _ Alchemy & Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

Return to “Instruments”