What are your favorite instrument plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mholloway wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:48 am SQ-80 V is my new favorite. I'm an 80s-industrial-guy so this is the synth I've wanted all along (I'm a mac user so SQ8L was not an option).
Haven't checked it out yet...

I'm looking at buying the new Waldorf M (Microwave inspired) hardware synth. Seems like a similar aesthetic!

I've been working on a bank for Pigments for a few months. In V2 form it was already impressive. Versatile, easy to program, and easy to get nice sounding results. I felt it's filters and FX were good but lacked a bit of wow factor I knew I had heard on their very latest stuff. Now with V3, this synth has a cutting edge feel. I can already recommend it as a work horse. It will be interesting to see where they take it.

It could get more complex and start to lose it's simplicity, or they could just make some small tweaks here and there and not make enough waves?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

mholloway wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:48 am SQ-80 V is my new favorite. I'm an 80s-industrial-guy so this is the synth I've wanted all along (I'm a mac user so SQ8L was not an option).
Really? I owned an ESQ-M in the late 80s/early 90s. I loved it at the time but I have no desire to revisit it. I certainly have no idea what makes it a synth for an "80s-industrial-guy", other than the fact I had one in the 80s (obviously). I imagine if I update Analog Lab I will be able to hear/tweak some of the presets, maybe that will get me interested?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I just bought it and I really love it... :tu:

BONES wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:06 am
Really? I owned an ESQ-M in the late 80s/early 90s. I loved it at the time but I have no desire to revisit it. I certainly have no idea what makes it a synth for an "80s-industrial-guy", other than the fact I had one in the 80s (obviously). I imagine if I update Analog Lab I will be able to hear/tweak some of the presets, maybe that will get me interested?
Skinny Puppy had two ESQ-1 synths through their prime, and used them extensively. That's the main reason re: 80s industrial. SQ-80 is just the ESQ-1 with more memory and more waveforms.

The presets are just OK, imho. This synth shines when you dig in and make use the wide range of waveforms x3 oscillators.

mholloway wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:02 am
BONES wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:06 am
Skinny Puppy had two ESQ-1 synths through their prime, and used them extensively. That's the main reason re: 80s industrial. SQ-80 is just the ESQ-1 with more memory and more waveforms.

The presets are just OK, imho. This synth shines when you dig in and make use the wide range of waveforms x3 oscillators.
Time to upgrade V collection 6, not interested in remaking 80's industrial, but new synths are always good. 80's SP is top notch, loved the first 4 records or so.

Falcon is by far the favorite. I've used it in everything pretty much since I bought the upgrade from Machfive3.

Kontakt is always used in some way.

Other synths I'm going to put into collections, because that's basically how I use them.
Arturia V- Collection, U-He all synths. Something from both of those companies makes it into most everything.

Lion, Knifeonium, and Thorn get in there as well.

Haven't played one of these threads for years... recently boxed up all my hardware and set up a fresh ITB install. Gave me an opportunity to look at what I really use at this point in my life. Realised I want presets to play, more than synths to tweak, I'm short on free time and less interested in recording than ever... So Omnisphere/Trilian/Keyscape sort me out for keys and pretty much everything synthetic, and Kontakt for strings, orchestras and anything organic. Works for me
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

Sample libraries: Emotional Cello, Emotional Viola and surprise....Emotional Violin.
Synthesizer: Plasmonic, P900, Alchemy.

Electronic music. My current favs: Synth1 for plucks, bass and percussive sounds. Dexed for strings, pads, brass and ambient stuff. Cobalt for lead.

mholloway wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:02 amSkinny Puppy had two ESQ-1 synths through their prime, and used them extensively.
So what? You don't honestly think that's what made Skinny Puppy so great, do you? An ESQ-M sure as hell never helped me. (I didn't realise that SP had them, too.)
As I said, mine was great and I really missed it for a while after I got my M1, but these days I have so many instruments that I value far more highly that I have no interest at all in this thing. e.g. Saurus, which is half the price of this at the moment and still $50 cheaper at full price.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:37 am
mholloway wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:02 amSkinny Puppy had two ESQ-1 synths through their prime, and used them extensively.
So what? You don't honestly think that's what made Skinny Puppy so great, do you? An ESQ-M sure as hell never helped me. (I didn't realise that SP had them, too.)
blah blah blah more toxic drivel from bones blah blah blah :party:

I just find that reasoning utterly nonsensical. Sorry if you can't take that kind of criticism without getting your knickers in a twist but that's not really my problem, is it?

Nothing much has changed for me, regarding software instruments.

My favourites are the ones I use most often: Pianoteq, Kontakt, Superior Drummer, TAL Sampler, Sitala, Dune, DX7 V ... and a few iOS apps, which probably don’t count in here, but are incredibly good.

Don’t think I’ve left too many out. The few other VSTi plugins I have installed just don’t get used as much, pretty sure.

Kontakt - lots of orchestral and drumkit libs
Korg stuff, M1, WS, Triton
Xpand2
Cyclone
TAL Sampler
PPG
Dexed

There are more, but I use these the most.
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

Return to “Instruments”