Tape simulations for that mastering mojo.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:34 pm i think you are expecting far too much from a recording medium.

also, make sure you ask for the right thing.
Maybe, but that's what we are fed with. that's what they are trying to sell us. an "uber" experience (and by "uber" I mean "having the specified property to an extreme or excessive degree" - from dictionary.com).

Musician friends of mine used to record to tape (long time ago. because that was the only option). I myself never engaged in tape recording as I make electronic music (in my computer - all the way from Cubase 5 or SX or whatever it was called) and having listened over the years to countless (literally THOUSANDS) of processors (mostly virtual but also lots of analog gear - as I worked in a music shop, selling the likes of Creamware R.I.P, Access Music, Alesis, Native Instruments, Waldorf Music, Neve, API, RME - among others) - I'll stick to my statement...

Saturn 2 is very flexible.
Not only does it have some tape emulation features but also several other types of distortion.
As far as using it on the master bus, the mix and extensive frequency control would make it very using for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJkalqy ... e=youtu.be

UAD Ampex ATR-102 or Various libraries for Nebula 4.

i will lean toward the softube one they modeled the 3 signal path from popular tape machine and you know they're good at the saturation modeling technique i use it only.

- Softube Tape Types:
A: STUDER A827 2 inch 24-track Tape Recorder
B: AMPEX ATR-102 1/2 inch 2-track Mastering Tape Recorder
C: EMI BTR-3 2-track Tape Recorder (Found Only In Abbey Road Studio)

I too love using the Softube version.

But - I almost always end up using the A model. The other too just have too much of a bass bump for me (at full wet/dry setting, which is where I usually leave it set)

yeah the c type is most suitable for special effect and the b type for mastering so i would understand why the b would be used alot so you're a studier guy :)

Liero wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:46 am I myself mostly work as a composer/arranger in a studio environment and can't hear 3 instances of true iron maxed out on an individual track do anything meaningful to me, but I can spot a sampled orchestra vs. a real one a mile away.
I used Waves' Clone EQ to analyze what the heck True Iron does and EQ wise it doesn't do anything, except that a minority of the transformer models filter out the very low end (almost dog hearing territory, LOL). I checked the saturation with a sine wave and a spectrometer to see the harmonics and it's very subtle, even at the max level you can't see more than one harmonic.

I think people are hearing what they want to hear.

Roundtone has been good for me when I want a nice “tape” sound.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

--

Softube Tape is the best I have heard so far, but it has still never made it on to an actual mastering project...

u-he Satin is the best and the most pleasant in small doses for me.
( I use it to remove the digital feel and smoothing, not for bad/abused tapes -
I use others like ChowTapeModel for that ... )

For me, its still TB ReelBus 4 on the Master.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

The new version of FerricTDS is a beast
https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/20 ... -released/

I never heard a better plugin till now:
https://www.londonacoustics.com/product ... -recorder/

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:21 am Roundtone has been good for me when I want a nice “tape” sound.
Roundtone sounds good to me too.

Return to “Effects”