Anyone using Tracktion with Linux?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I got Tracktion bundled with an audio interface a few years back. I liked it and stuck with it. However, since I switched over to Linux I had a problem with the audio interface that had been fine with Tracktion on Windows and continues to work fine on Windows. In Linux, it works ok when I select it in the audio settings but there is a horrible harsh distortion when I reopen the program and it involves a load of fiddling (selecting other options in audio settings before going back to the original ones a few times) to get it working smoothly again. I tried to resolve this in forums but was not able to.

I just wonder if anyone is using Tracktion in Linux without these problems. Perhaps you are using a different USB interface? If so, I would like to know what hardware and interface you are using because perhaps I could resolve the problem by buying a different computer or changing the interface.

Best Wishes

Matt

Are you sure this isn't a problem with Jack, have you got that configured properly?

Matt73 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:02 pmI just wonder if anyone is using Tracktion in Linux without these problems...
Perhaps the problem is not with Tracktion itself, but rather with the interface and/or Jack? Have you tried whether it works with other Linux DAWs, like Ardour, Reaper, LMMS, Bitwig, etc.?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Have you tried the new PipeWire?

Switching to Windows would be your best idea... Windows 10 was free some years back.

Infact you still can...

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and- ... -download/
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

God knows what the actual real reason for the above problem was. In the end, I solved it by getting a laptop that works well with Linux (Dell Inspiron 5502), getting a Focusrite interface and using Linux Mint. Now, it all works together nicely. But beware of the recent Ubuntu update that messes up the audio with a new kernel (this can be fixed however, there is a thread on Reddit about it). My stubborness to avoid big tech has surely given me a lot of headaches but I'm now at a stage where I can just run and record (at least for now). Linux is a cruel mistress and the mascot should not be a Penguin but a guy with his head in his hands.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but how many musos let alone professionals use such a niche OS as Linux to run music software?
There are NO computers you buy of the shelf that are preloaded with Linux.
Any PC you purchase - Mac or PC need to be “forced” to use Linux…
Why would anyone do that..?
Am I missing something here?

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:53 pm Excuse me for my ignorance, but how many musos let alone professionals use such a niche OS as Linux to run music software?
There are NO computers you buy of the shelf that are preloaded with Linux.
Any PC you purchase - Mac or PC need to be “forced” to use Linux…
Why would anyone do that..?
Am I missing something here?
Dell and a few other vendors sell machines preloaded with Linux. Bitwig, Traction, and Reaper have Linux native versions and there's quite a few plugin vendors that sell Linux plugins. For Linux enthusiasts there's definitely plenty out there to make music. If you are just worried about music production then yeah Windows or Mac is a lot easier and has more options.

To the OP, I've dabbled with Linux and Traction on numerous occasions. For me, Tracktion always ran much more poorly on Linux than on Windows and was more buggy across multiple versions. I got the impression that their Linux version doesn't get the same attention as their Windows version. But I don't record audio, I use plugin instruments.

I think the best option on Linux by far is Bitwig if you need to use virtual instruments.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”