Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SQ80 V

olepro wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:34 am
MartyK wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:03 am
olepro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:45 pm
Teksonik wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:05 pm
olepro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:20 am I have the hardware Ensoniq SQ80 to compare with
I am in contact/dialog with Arturia about these problems and they know there is problems.
I think the Arturia synth is awsome, but I also think it is sad if it is not faithful to the original.
Are you the Ole mentioned in the readme for SQ8L ?

Like I said earlier this is the initial release of SQ80V. As long as Arturia is aware of the issues and is willing to work on them I imagine they will get fixed. I assumed they had a hardware SQ80 at hand while creating the project but perhaps not.

I see there are SQ80V threads at the Arturia forums so we can all report there and help with testing. Seems like only a single beta tester is involved at this point but if he's getting the message to the developers then that's a start.

Import issues aside it's still a great sounding synth that's fun to program so until (if) the issues are fixed it can still be enjoyed. :tu:
Yes, it's me in the readme.
I had dialog and testing with Siegfried Kuhlmann after the very first SQ8L release.
And you are right about SQ80-V
It is a great synth, and that's why i so much want the emulation part to be as good as possible.
Interesting. Can you confirm that Siegfried KuLLmann has passed away? I already had this assumption a few years ago. And there was an answer, among other things, that the man should have had a profile on Facebook. But why should someone who has developed an interesting synth and wanted to develop it further, stop uttering a sound overnight if he was supposedly still alive?
No I cannot confirm anything lille this, that he passed away.
But i have had another thouht, but it is free fantasy.
Around that time another musician passed away. "Pete D Namlook" a great synth guro
His artist name Namlook was his last name Kuhlmann as it sound saying it backwards.
His real name was Peter Kuhlmann
I have been wandering if they were brothers, and it could have been this that stopped Siegfried Kuhlmann developing?
But again, this utter speculation
He stopped corresponding with me in 2011. He had said he abandoned the project and wasn't responding to mail, but then was thinking of a complete rewrite for VST3. At the time he was unsure if he would continue development however. I suspect he had more interest in other pursuits.

Does anyone get a "legato glide bug"? In monophonic - turn up glide. Hold a low note (A2) and play 1 higher not (say 2 octaves up). Release the high note Does the low note lose treble when you release the high? Does the lower held note go "lo-fi"?

It also happens the other way around at the high end. Is this a bug or the nature of the samples used?

Biome_Digital wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:01 pm
Niowiad wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:49 pm Yeah it seems like it lets you choose between a linear and an exponential velocity curve, as separate modulation sources.

I don't know if that's a thing from the hardware. It could be.

The two separate kinds of keyboard tracking are in some way a "similar" thing.
Yeah I was just about to comment on that. The Key-tracking is uni-polar (1) and bi-polar (2). :D

These simple features allow advanced sound design techniques are are really great features. It's a shame they've been overlooked in the manual and tutorials.
I tested it out with a sequence of repeating notes where I had scaled their velocity smoothly over 20 measures. I used the same Init preset on two separate instances and had one instance using Velocity and the other with Velocity-X both were targetting to the osc tuning. I can definitely hear that Velocity-X is exponential.

Examigan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:39 pm
Biome_Digital wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:01 pm
Niowiad wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:49 pm Yeah it seems like it lets you choose between a linear and an exponential velocity curve, as separate modulation sources.

I don't know if that's a thing from the hardware. It could be.

The two separate kinds of keyboard tracking are in some way a "similar" thing.
Yeah I was just about to comment on that. The Key-tracking is uni-polar (1) and bi-polar (2). :D

These simple features allow advanced sound design techniques are are really great features. It's a shame they've been overlooked in the manual and tutorials.
I tested it out with a sequence of repeating notes where I had scaled their velocity smoothly over 20 measures. I used the same Init preset on two separate instances and had one instance using Velocity and the other with Velocity-X both were targetting to the osc tuning. I can definitely hear that Velocity-X is exponential.
Cool, makes sense. :tu:

MartyK wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:03 am
olepro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:45 pm
Teksonik wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:05 pm
olepro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:20 am I have the hardware Ensoniq SQ80 to compare with
I am in contact/dialog with Arturia about these problems and they know there is problems.
I think the Arturia synth is awsome, but I also think it is sad if it is not faithful to the original.
Are you the Ole mentioned in the readme for SQ8L ?

Like I said earlier this is the initial release of SQ80V. As long as Arturia is aware of the issues and is willing to work on them I imagine they will get fixed. I assumed they had a hardware SQ80 at hand while creating the project but perhaps not.

I see there are SQ80V threads at the Arturia forums so we can all report there and help with testing. Seems like only a single beta tester is involved at this point but if he's getting the message to the developers then that's a start.

Import issues aside it's still a great sounding synth that's fun to program so until (if) the issues are fixed it can still be enjoyed. :tu:
Yes, it's me in the readme.
I had dialog and testing with Siegfried Kuhlmann after the very first SQ8L release.
And you are right about SQ80-V
It is a great synth, and that's why i so much want the emulation part to be as good as possible.
Interesting. Can you confirm that Siegfried KuLLmann has passed away? I already had this assumption a few years ago. And there was an answer, among other things, that the man should have had a profile on Facebook. But why should someone who has developed an interesting synth and wanted to develop it further, stop uttering a sound overnight if he was supposedly still alive?
There is a Siegfried Kullmann on both the linkedin page and facebook
On linked in , Siegfried Kullmann is a DSP CODER , software developer workeed at Karlsruher Institut für Technologie ,worked at gameforge etc..
Pretty sure that's our man and he is still alive and kicking .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

ssp
Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

dd
Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:03 am So, I have a question about the Transwaves. The only Transwave synth I ever owned was the TS-10, and when you went though the positions you got a totally different deal. I feel like the SQ-80 V is just doing something like a width modulation and not really modeling the behavior of Transwaves. That said, I don’t know what the VFX was like.
I came here this morning to discuss the Transwaves. You can find some .wav files in the Resources>Transwaves folder but only 16 of them so I'm not sure how SQ80V reads them to create all the entries in the TW list.

But like you said rather than scanning most of the waves it seems like the 80V is just truncating the length rather than scanning through the wave.

SQ80V 091821-1.png

I sold my VFX a few years ago and quite frankly didn't spend a whole lot of time making patches with it due to the pain in the arse programming from the hardware was but the transwave sounds coming out of my VFX were a whole lot different than the sounds I'm getting out of the 80V at least going on memory ( I am aware of the difference in architecture between the VFX and SQ80).

That just makes me want a dedicated VFX emulation even more as the TW function in the 80V isn't fully functional it seems.

(I tried dropping other waves into the folder but 80V won't read them. I suppose if you made .wav files in the same format and named them as vfx-0 etc it might read them. Probably against the EULA but as an experiment you can load the single waves into DUNE 3 and create a wavetable.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

gg
Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teksonik wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:10 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:03 am So, I have a question about the Transwaves. The only Transwave synth I ever owned was the TS-10, and when you went though the positions you got a totally different deal. I feel like the SQ-80 V is just doing something like a width modulation and not really modeling the behavior of Transwaves. That said, I don’t know what the VFX was like.
I came here this morning to discuss the Transwaves. You can find some .wav files in the Resources>Transwaves folder but only 16 of them so I'm not sure how SQ80V reads them to create all the entries in the TW list.

But like you said rather than scanning most of the waves it seems like the 80V is just truncating the length rather than scanning through the wave.

SQ80V 091821-1.png

I sold my VFX a few years ago and quite frankly didn't spend a whole lot of time making patches with it due to the pain in the arse programming from the hardware was but the transwave sounds coming out of my VFX were a whole lot different than the sounds I'm getting out of the 80V at least going on memory ( I am aware of the difference in architecture between the VFX and SQ80).

That just makes me want a dedicated VFX emulation even more as the TW function in the 80V isn't fully functional it seems.

(I tried dropping other waves into the folder but 80V won't read them. I suppose if you made .wav files in the same format and named them as vfx-0 etc it might read them. Probably against the EULA but as an experiment you can load the single waves into DUNE 3 and create a wavetable.)
No, it's doing a kind of PWM on those ones. But there waves with an X after the name - those can be swept like a wavetable.

Wanted to compare the plugin to my SQ80 hardware but the demo does not let me import my patchs , stupid limitation imo.
I was looking for a possible replacement for my Sq80 but looks like there is some bugs to fix (i've listened to some audio example posted on the Arturia forum and AM seems broken for example.)

In the past i have compared the sq80l freeware to my hardware and i think the emulation is very good (the filter could be improved though ) I'd like to do the same thing with the Arturia version so i think it would be a great idea to activate sysex import on the demo version.
Last edited by sovietpop on Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sovietpop wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:04 pm Wanted to compare the plugin to my SQ80 hardware but the demo does not let me import my patchs , stupid limitation imo.
I was looking for a possible replacement for my Sq80 but looks like there is some bugs to fix (i've listened to some audio example posted on the Arturia forum and AM seems broken for example.)
Here's a taste of some imported presets. The presets are from the gearspace link.

https://youtu.be/Ma6MqT7ggzg

i'm not sure why arturia classifies those basic waves as transwaves - those just get the pwm-style treatment. (EDIT: just realised that's what the pseudo-resonant waveforms do at the bottom of the list do. this was the workaround ensoniq used to get around not having filter resonance in the vfx-generation instruments - and they do seem to use this type of pwm)

as biome wrote, the -x ones are the real transwaves and correspond to the vfx. they sound more or less right, though i'd have to cable up my old vfx to check. there weren't many transwaves in the vfx.

one issue people might be having is that the starting point in sq80 v is the middle wave out of the table, which makes it seems as though they're all too smooth. you need to mess with the offset to get the earlier frames which are typically more aggressive-sounding.
Last edited by gaggle of hermits on Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dvnation wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:08 pm
sovietpop wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:04 pm Wanted to compare the plugin to my SQ80 hardware but the demo does not let me import my patchs , stupid limitation imo.
Here's a taste of some imported presets. The presets are from the gearspace link.

https://youtu.be/Ma6MqT7ggzg
They sound great.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Biome_Digital wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:58 pm

SQ80V 091821-1.png

No, it's doing a kind of PWM on those ones. But there waves with an X after the name - those can be swept like a wavetable.
Actually saying that, some of the X waves do the PWM thing too. :?

Return to “Instruments”