FabFilter plugins include code that plays very loud noise if it thinks the copy is pirated

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Unaspected wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:45 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:29 pm Think I'll sue the owner next time I steal a car and it runs over my foot when I forgot to engage the handbrake.
Don't understand why your post had so many downvotes.
It's a popularity meter. I always said that, but, the site owners seem to disagree... :)

Anyway, glad that at least someone found it funny. :D

Soundplex wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:49 pm
Unaspected wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:45 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:29 pm Think I'll sue the owner next time I steal a car and it runs over my foot when I forgot to engage the handbrake.
Anyway. Would have been more impressed if the protection either muted output or performed things subtractively. Don't see the need for adding, what has been suggested in this thread as a very loud noise.

Better still would be to introduce barely audible whispering of various messages or names at random.

I am sure and I hope the intent was not to damage hearing. If your monitoring gear is turned up that loud then the fault is with the user.

General, meh, though. Never heard nor heard of this before now.
It has already been clarified by fabfilter this is not a FabFilter copy protection mechanism. FabFilter plugins switch do demo if something strange happens.

Anyways if users of illegal software complain about non working plugins and the company gets blamed for it you know how f*cked up this industry and the users are.
Happens all the time. People are always signing up on forums, complaining their software doesn't work... only to uncover that they are using something they shouldn't. I figure they are new to computing and don't understand how this all works. I mean, Google gives a helping nudge in that direction any time you search for software. Type in "nexus vst" and Google's third suggestion is that you attempt to download it illegally. I guess it's too much temptation for some. :shrug:

Too bad FabFilter plugins don't contain a little Dutch weightlifter who hops out and smacks you in the face if you pirate their software.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:53 pm Too bad FabFilter plugins don't contain a little Dutch weightlifter who hops out and smacks you in the face if you pirate their software.
:hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV8zGNe7Ebg

Unaspected wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:57 pm
billcarroll wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:53 pm Too bad FabFilter plugins don't contain a little Dutch weightlifter who hops out and smacks you in the face if you pirate their software.
:hihi:

... video removed to save space ...
Haha! Exactly :clap:
Bitwig Certified Trainer

You know, if you properly manage your monitoring levels, the loudest noise burst your software can generate will not be deafening. Just saying...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:31 pm
Unaspected wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:45 pm Don't understand why your post had so many downvotes.
It's a popularity meter. I always said that, but, the site owners seem to disagree... :)

Dont worry! Just rotate your screen :tu:

:)

I got blasted with some horrific noise from bias fx, and I paid a 100 bucks for that software. I emailed the company showed them exactly how to replicate the problem, and I could also reproduce it. They denied the claim, but the next version it was fixed. So yea having some intentional glitch in the software to blast someone to deaf, is not responsible audio software development, even if their intention is to prevent piracy. Its like saying we've armed this car with a bomb in case someone decides to steal it. you wouldn't drive in it either. stupid logic by very stupid people.

Do yourself a favour and put this plugin on the masterbus of your default template:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ice9-a ... erus-audio

website is down , i have an osx bck if someone need it just ask.
time for me to leave KVR.Bye bye ! 03/2022 :phones:

Developers in the past have had anti-piracy measures affect legitimate users many times. There are plenty of threads about it in the long history of this forum. Bugs happen. The people saying "who cares it's only for pirates" are either not software developers or are the very foolish and overconfident type. This type of functionality that can damage hearing should not be intentionally programmed into a plugin. If it goes into demo mode I'm sure that's an easy fix by contacting support or reinstallation or whatever. Messing with your hearing or ruining equipment from software I've paid for is a nightmare. It could also potentially be a nightmare for the developer in court if that sort of bug happens to legit users. Terrible PR as well. On top of all that it won't do anything to stop software piracy. A bad idea in almost all respects except for placating the ego of the developer.

BUT it seems that it is not actually programmed into the plugin intentionally by fabfilter, so it's a non-issue.

Copy protection noise is ok, but medium noise should be enough and do the job. It shouldn't shout, there is no one to stop the thief :hihi:

shimonpoopy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:52 pm I got blasted with some horrific noise from bias fx, and I paid a 100 bucks for that software. I emailed the company showed them exactly how to replicate the problem, and I could also reproduce it. They denied the claim, but the next version it was fixed. So yea having some intentional glitch in the software to blast someone to deaf, is not responsible audio software development, even if their intention is to prevent piracy. Its like saying we've armed this car with a bomb in case someone decides to steal it. you wouldn't drive in it either. stupid logic by very stupid people.
It might have been an actual bug. In Logic 10.5.x on Intel, i could make any Oversampled plugin explode and emit a +24dB click.

Kazi7 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:59 pm Do yourself a favour and put this plugin on the masterbus of your default template:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ice9-a ... erus-audio
I really wish someone would bring out a new plugin that does this - sooner or later I keep thinking I’m going to find it no longer works. The only alternatives I know of add latency (except for Reaper’s built in one)

It would make a perfect Kilohearts snapin

Return to “Effects”