One Synth Challenge #151: GR-8 by Phuturetone (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/user-87727874/loris-radioactive

Ok, im all in on this one. I totally enjoyed using this synth, although it is limited in some cases, I did not get bored of it at all, and it sounds GR8. It sucked the life out of my computer at times. Had to render some bits and bobs here and there to save on the cpu.
Used a lot of automation and abused the internal Fx. Can never get the same sound twice in some cases, so this version of the song is one of a kind.

72 instances of GR8 in Reaper
Fx used:
DDUtility
Izotope Imager
MAutoPan
Limiter No6
Mbandpass
Mcharmverb
Mcompressor
MEqualizer
Mloudnessmeter
MWaveshaper
OTT
Raum
ReaCompressor
ReaEq
ReaXcomp
SmExoscope
Simple Peak 1 Limiter
Valhalla supermassive

Bug: when you hover over pictures next to switches that aren't oscillator switches, it still says "square" "saw" etc in the pop-up text, like the switch is for an oscillator waveform.

I don't know what the "follow" switch next to envelope 2 is for.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:12 amI don't know what the "follow" switch next to envelope 2 is for.
It clearly makes GR-8 follow you on Soundcloud.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:12 am Bug: when you hover over pictures next to switches that aren't oscillator switches, it still says "square" "saw" etc in the pop-up text, like the switch is for an oscillator waveform.

Thanks for the bug report!

"Key Follow" or "Key Track" - you can set envelope times to follow the MIDI key. Lower notes will play envelopes slower, higher notes will play envelopes faster. Options are Off, Only Env 1, Only Env 2, and Both Envelopes.

Phuturetone wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:40 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:12 am Bug: when you hover over pictures next to switches that aren't oscillator switches, it still says "square" "saw" etc in the pop-up text, like the switch is for an oscillator waveform.

Thanks for the bug report!

"Key Follow" or "Key Track" - you can set envelope times to follow the MIDI key. Lower notes will play envelopes slower, higher notes will play envelopes faster. Options are Off, Only Env 1, Only Env 2, and Both Envelopes.
Oh that makes sense. I thought it was like an envelope follower, which made no sense to me, lol.
z.prime wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:13 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:12 amI don't know what the "follow" switch next to envelope 2 is for.
Can someone verify if this is true?

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:17 am
[/quote]
I thinketh, he is pulling ya pisser ;)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:07 am
[/quote]

No I tried. Didn't work.

I think it's keyboard tracking, applied to the length of the envelope
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

--
Last edited by yplugins on Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

No one pulls my pisser except my wife and my half-brother.

Aro wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:23 pm
Eauson wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:07 am
No I tried. Didn't work.
[/quote]

Ha, just realized how this could be read. :lol:

I have to say, GR 8 isn't my favorite synth... My percussions are all derpy. I mean they're never amazing, but this round I'm really struggling to get percs I like. not that I'm done trying mind you...

gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:47 pm I have to say, GR 8 isn't my favorite synth... My percussions are all derpy. I mean they're never amazing, but this round I'm really struggling to get percs I like. not that I'm done trying mind you...
Yeah it's tough with this one. I find a lot of synths actually lack in this area. I'm always harping out about envelope shapes and immediacy of envelopes.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

By far the most tiresome part of this project has been every time I load it all the automation is deactivated. Was the same with TAL but I had less automation in that project.
Aiynzahev-sounds

I think my percussions sound okay (many of you would disagree because they're basically rock drums). I had to use like 5 different instances for the snare drum sound.

No fine pitch on one of the osciillators, each oscillator slot having different waveform options, and no mod matrix makes it harder. For envelopes you can shape it with compression/dynamics processing.

Return to “Instruments”