Help choosing a pack of VSTs to start with

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
KVRer
19 posts since 9 Dec, 2011

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:25 am

Hello! I'm currently considering biting the bullet regarding an IK Multimedia sale. 17 elements for the price of 1.
I've been studying their products and it seems I could get a complete studio software wise with this sale.

I won't be using synths much. I'm more of a real-life-instrument guy, if you get what I mean. I'm more fond of composing with electric bass, guitars, piano, organ, acoustic drum and some orchestra elements.
So far, I've concocted the following list:
  • Hammond B-3X
    MODO DRUM
    MODO BASS
    SampleTank 4
    Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE
    American Acoustic
    Amplitube 5
    Amplitube Orange
    Amplitube Brian May
    Fender Collection 2
    Fulltone Collection
    T-Racks 5
    T-Racks 5 SE
    Master EQ 432
    Some more elements, not sure which yet
(note: I already have Amplitube Fender Collection 1, and I love it)
This would all cost about 250 euros only.

But at the same time I felt how awkward it was to install sampletank free version and get their libraries to be detected. It seems to be a recurring complaint from IK users, which is leaving me wondering... is this a good choice? Some people have been complaining about IK support as well...

But it seems like such a good sale! And I'm in the dark, are there better alternatives for the same price tag? Could you give me some pointers? The number of options out there is overwhelming...

EDIT: I also accept PM's, if for any reason you think it's more appropriate :D

KVRer
6 posts since 6 Jun, 2021

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:24 am

I would add Sunset Sound reverb to your list

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:02 am

Thanks!
In the meantime I spotted IZoTope Neutron 3 and Ozone 9 on brutal sales too. They seem to be very good for mixing and mastering... decisions, decisions...

KVRAF
3795 posts since 25 Jan, 2014 from The End of The World as We Knowit

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:18 am

Beware of making decisions based on money saved. Learn with free stuff. Demo!
buying happiness

KVRAF
31169 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:25 am

If you're a beginner don't waste money on mastering plugins ... chances are your DAW offers all you really need already.

KVRist
134 posts since 2 Mar, 2018

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:35 pm

Those last two responses above can't be overstated. Do yourself a huge favor and DON'T BUY ANYTHING. There are a lot of great free plugins out there. "You get what you pay for" does not generally apply to the audio world any more.

KVRian
705 posts since 9 Aug, 2018

Post Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:13 am

Indeed. ^ Try using free stuff, including what your DAW has built in.

Then try demos of whatever you might be looking at buying, if anything.

And go from there. Oh, also maybe check out YouTube videos that take you through various aspects of each plugin/suite.

KVRist
62 posts since 6 Sep, 2021

Post Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:21 am

I also agree that it's a good idea to learn your stock plugins in and out so you gain a good fundamental understanding of plugins and sound design. It also depends on what DAW you've got; if you're using something like Logic, there's so much great sound content included that you should be pretty set, but something like Reaper on the other hand, not so much.

Regardless the current IK sale is fantastic value for money especially if you don't have any VST's yet - if the 250EUR is within your budget I'd say go for it - even if you only end up finding use for half the products you get you're still wining.
multi-platinum music producer / songwriter
https://www.takaperry.com

KVRAF

Post Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:00 am

takaperry wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:21 am
if you only end up finding use for half the products you get you're still wining.
No, you lost $293 and wasted a lot more valuable time finding the half that are useless when you could have spent that time learning the stock plugins -- including Reaper!
buying happiness

KVRist
359 posts since 17 Sep, 2020

Post Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:54 am

mixyguy2 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:35 pm
"You get what you pay for" does not generally apply to the audio world any more.
I don't really agree with that statement tbh (fabfilter, softube, u-he, DMG audio).

That said, their are some great freebies about. I also think you should definitely utilize what you have in DAW before spending a load of cash. DAWs tend to have everything you need these days.

Only buy something if you really need it, or think it will really enhance your music.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:28 am

mixyguy2 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:35 pm
"You get what you pay for" does not generally apply to the audio world any more.

I understand... thanks for the tip!

I'm wondering about samplers though... It seems consensual that Kontakt is the very best. It's stated here, here, here, here, here... So at least thatseems like a more-or-less "mandatory" purchase. Or could I get away with a free sampler? There doesn't seem to be consensus around free samplers the same way there is regarding paid ones.

Oh, and about DAWs... I'll be using Reaper :)
I also agree that it's a good idea to learn your stock plugins in and out so you gain a good fundamental understanding of plugins and sound design
Yeah, I'm refreshing my memory with notes I took during a free Berklee course about music production, with Loudon Stearns. :) Should get me on the right path...
Regardless the current IK sale is fantastic value for money especially if you don't have any VST's yet - if the 250EUR is within your budget I'd say go for it - even if you only end up finding use for half the products you get you're still wining.
I'd say one of the main products would be the IK Multimedia MODO BASS... I'll be needing an electric bass sound and freebies don't seem to quite cut it... MODO BASSs seems to be one of the best on that matter (correct me if I'm wrong). If I could purchase MODO BASS and get a ton of more plugins in the process, even better...
If you're a beginner don't waste money on mastering plugins ... chances are your DAW offers all you really need already.
Not even IZotope Neutron 3 (Standard) and Ozone 9 (Standard)? It seems like a good sale...

KVRAF

Post Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:54 am

Don't forget Voxengo, BlueCat Audio, Toneboosters, U-he, DMG, Fabfilter, Eventide, that cool amp modelling company and those people who make all those awesome-sounding, super-expressive instruments (I forget the name ATM but they advertise on the vi-control site or maybe it was gearslutz where all the big sales are).
buying happiness

KVRer
5 posts since 20 Aug, 2021

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:11 am

The Airwindows stuff is great and free!

KVRian
916 posts since 8 Oct, 2019

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:23 am

Zanman777 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:28 am
Not even IZotope Neutron 3 (Standard) and Ozone 9 (Standard)? It seems like a good sale...
My 2 cents... If you want to get the iZotope stuff, then I'd just go for the Tonal Balance "crossgrade from any paid iZotope product". I think I have an unregistered Neutron Elements code that I'm happy to give you, so you'd qualify. So for currently $149 you can get Ozone 9 Advanced, Neutron 3 Advanced and Nectar 3 from Plugin Boutique right here.

That suite would cover your mixing/mastering needs completely for a long time and is also pretty beginner friendly with all the AI learning functions. So personally, I think it does make some sense. However - don't feel like you're missing out on a killer deal so you have to strike now - the bundle is on sale several times a year, you could just pick it up another time.

I do think FabFilter is superior, but it also cost a lot more money.

Also ALWAYS research a company's sales history or you'll end up feeling scammed. Especially iZotope offers their products at like 90% deep discount rates all the time via third party vendors (don't buy directly from iZotope). The MSRP-prices no one takes seriously anymore.

KVRAF
3001 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:13 pm

If you don't know, don't buy, easy as that.

If your DAW doesn't cover some aspect, than fill that hole with 3rd party stuff, if free doesn't cover it, than look into paid stuff, than instead of getting tons of stuff, get what you actually really need.

Considering IK stuff, dunno, you get plenty for 250 bucks, if you think you really need half of it, than great, there's demo versions of almost everything, you decide.

Also, don't just buy stuff just because they are on sale thinking you will put them in good use down the line, there will be more sales down the line too.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”