Cloud Storage for Samples

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All - I'm looking for fast cloud storage for my sample drive! I want to be able to use multiple computers anywhere, all having access to the same samples etc.

I've tried using a spare OneDrive account, I say spare because it's not my main account, meaning I can not use the OneDrive app which mirrors your local storage to the cloud, and this is not the solution I'm seeking anyway.

What I've done is used a spare account on my family subscription and used software called NetDrive which mounts cloud storage as a local drive, so to my PC, I have an extra 1TB drive, but this is really in the cloud. Its work well... well not really, it work, but OneDrive is slow, and therefore sample rendering slows down my flow.

So my question is, does anyone else have a solution for this, and/or, does anyone know what cloud storage provider is the fastest for a large amount of small audio files? I know there must be faster ones out there, with the likes of LoopCloud offering cloud storage, they might use Amazon web services or something, I don't know (I'm not going to use LoopClouds as they only offer 250gb whereas I need at least 1TB to match OneDrive!).

Any thoughts, solutions, recommendations etc etc welcome!

Build your own. Get a dedicated server close to where you’ll be with a fast connection and install owncloud on it.

You can use OneDrive or similar, but you have to be sure to mark any folders containing sample sets you'll use as "local" meaning that a local copy is downloaded, rather than pulled on-demand. Pulling on-demand will never be fast enough for a sampler, the latency is far too high.

The downside to cloud "local" storage is that whenever you connect using a different computer, you'll have to wait for all the files/folders you've marked to get downloaded, which could take quite a while depending on how much you want available at a given time. And you'll need enough free local drive space to hold it. (How long? Divide the drive space by your internet bandwidth. When I uploaded 1/2 TB of music, it took overnight. Downloading is faster, of course, but still, we're talking hours.)

A better solution might be a thumb drive or external USB SSD, but again you might run into latency/bandwidth limitations. Still, those limitations will be WAY better than the cloud, for the simple reason that you can access info a lot, lot faster via USB than via TCP/IP over the Internet. With a thumb drive or USB SSD, you could try setting your player to "memory" mode rather, where it preloads all samples whenever a sampleset is loaded, so you take the hit at that time but not otherwise. Of course, that limits you to what fits in RAM, whereas with the typical default of DFD (direct from disk) you don't have that limitation.

^^^ TB usb3 ssd with fast read speed for storage. I use Crucial. I also use a GB thumb w fast read, just for d/l & sorting etc
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”