WHATS NEW in the Studio One 5.4 UPDATE! | NATIVE Apple M1 Silicon Support!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thanks bones but i already got an answer that's better than "just get used to clicking".

in logic you don't wait when you hover, all menus just open - but searching is better anyway.

and as always, workflows differ. I don't have thousands of plugins per sessions, but i don't have two like you either.

i mostly play with my right hand so i have my left hand on keyboard and trackpad, right hand on my mouse.
BONES wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:11 am If I was going to complain about workflow killers in Studio One, I'd be complaining that I have to double-click to create a note in the piano roll and then I have to drag it out to the length I need. Every. Single. Time. It drives me nuts but I get that the rest of you idiots don't even realise it could be 10 times easier so I don't expect Presonus to fix it, just to make me feel more comfortable. I adapt to the environment I am working in, I take the good with the bad. I don't sweat the little things any more.
it actually has the same workflow as logic - Command is assignable to a tool, which means you only need to hold command to get a pencil and it's a single click to get a note. Click creates a note + hold to adjust its length, release.

Logic remembers the last length you entered with a pencil, but it can sometimes be f**king annoying if the last note was a 4-bar long drone.

I really like "synchronise piano roll to arrangement"
i also like that you can convert piano/midi part to sequencer. And that you can change color/lightness without some half-assed third party hacking.
i could get used to it.

I tried out Logic for a few months last year, and it was nice, but nothing spectacular. I could happily use it as my one and only DAW, but I could say that also of Studio One and Cubase as well. One thing I thought odd about Logic is that it had not yet implemented drag-n-drop. Cubase has both methods of inserting a VST, right click to add, or drag-n-drop. I personally prefer right click to add VSTs and miss it in Studio One.

dellboy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:34 am I tried out Logic for a few months last year, and it was nice, but nothing spectacular. I could happily use it as my one and only DAW, but I could say that also of Studio One and Cubase as well. One thing I thought odd about Logic is that it had not yet implemented drag-n-drop. Cubase has both methods of inserting a VST, right click to add, or drag-n-drop. I personally prefer right click to add VSTs and miss it in Studio One.
It doesn't have a plugin browser that would make sense for drag and drop tho.

What i'm baffled is that there's no way to create key commands to add -specific- plugin to channel strip. not in logic, not in S1.

Ploki wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:18 am
What i'm baffled is that there's no way to create key commands to add -specific- plugin to channel strip. not in logic, not in S1.
It is not true. You can create a macro in Studio One to add whatever plugin (or instrument) or even a plugin chain with a single shortcut.

You can do crazy stuff with macros, for example, my favorite one.
One shortcut does next:
1. Render To a New track
2. Reverse
3. Add long reverb
4. Render event with fx(added reverb)
5. Reverse event
6. Rename event to "Riser"

As result, you will have a reverse reverb tail for a smooth transition to your event, with one click.
Last edited by Serhii Kot on Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serhii Kot wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:21 am
It is not true. You can create a macro in Studio One to add whatever plugin (or instrument) or even a plugin chain with a single shortcut.
ooooh
How?!
i searched macro window and there's no option to add specific plugin command

Ploki wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:26 am
Serhii Kot wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:21 am
ooooh
How?!
i searched macro window and there's no option to add specific plugin command
Here is a screenshot. on youtube you can find different crazy useful macros
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

this is f**king beautiful. :hug:

i need to try finishing a project in S1, but this, oh boy. :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And also keep in mind that you have the Macro Toolbar where you can create your own buttons for this....
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

A lot of users aren't concerned with saving small amounts of time by using macros, because they've got all the time in the world, as opposed to professionals working with deadlines. Seems like a niche crowd, just like the Apple M1 Silicon and the subscription consumers.

Maybe soon something for the rest of the community.

I absolutely don't think it's just a matter of time-pressure - if your creativity kicks in, you don't want to waste your time doing boring stuff instead of making the best out of it...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:37 pm I absolutely don't think it's just a matter of time-pressure - if your creativity kicks in, you don't want to waste your time doing boring stuff instead of making the best out of it...
I'm not sure a macro will save anyone's creativity. And I'm not sure having a macro will make anyone's music any better. Just because you can do something quicker doesn't mean it's going to be a good result. Usually, a masterpiece takes a lot of time.

Again, for a professional that works on a lot of things and does a lot of micro edits and needs the added speed of macros, go for it. For the musician on average, probably not a game changer.

Macros are there for a reason, as are templates or multi instruments. I can totally relate to boring stuff, which isn't necessary because it can be automated/executed quicker, being a creativity killer.

gawd i wish i could do macros like that in logic.
when i open Pro-Q3 for the n-tieth time...

The updates so far in v5 looks good to me. I might have to upgrade from v4.

I love how many of the stock plugins expand into a smaller version in the mixer channel. Is this only with Presonus plugins or are any third party ones compatible with this (like Softube Tape is compatible with Mix Engine FX)?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”