Cherry Audio Releases Mercury-4 Compuphonic Synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Mercury-4 Polyphonic Synthesizer

yul wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:14 pm

Now what is this internet connected plugin on startup? Is VST allowed to go on the web? Not sure I like it.
IIRC, it auto-checks for updates at CA's site. Other posters feel free to correct/modify that.
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

In the settings you can disable the installation of updates and the plugin still runs without a connection after it's authorized:

updates.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I believe CA plugins do a copy protection check on startup. At least that's what appears to be happening based on the Firewall history even with "never install updates" checked.

EDIT: It appears only CA demos connect on load up. Registered plugins don't appear to do so.

For example the Mercury 4 demo does attempt to connect but will still function with the DAW blocked at the firewall.

However you can't start a demo without first connecting to your online account so if the DAW is blocked it won't work and of course when you register one of the CA plugins you'll need access at least temporarily.

I don't have a huge problem with plugins connecting to the net if it's for copy protection as I prefer that to other CP methods. I would prefer they not if it's just to check for updates if there is an option to turn that off. Connecting for telemetry is more distasteful but again if you can opt out no problem.

If you've got a project with 30 plugins and they all want to connect every time that project is loaded that could be a problem.

I used to run an old DAW off line and it was a huge pain in the arse so my current DAW system is always connected to the net just for updates and CP handshakes.
Last edited by Teksonik on Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Just firewall your DAW if you don't want plugins going online.

Examigan wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:04 pm I can try it and see how close I can get (or you can try the demo version) but I don't know all the settings you used on the hardware. The first part sounds basic, but then some other settings were changed along the way (besides output level on the right and volume on left side) I am not sure about.
You can see most of the settings on the Jupiter 4. The video is always a comparison between two sounds. The first one without internal saturation, and the second one with fully opened VCA slider for saturation. I had to compensate the overall loudness level when changing settings in order to record with similar levels. Otherwise the louder sound always win.

Depending on the sound and number of played notes, the differences between “clean” and “saturated” go from noticeable to drastic. :)

Teksonik wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:13 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:10 am Pretty much all of the VST VA synths ever made 'can' pretty much sound the same, there is only so much difference that can be achieved mixing a few basic oscillator shapes and a subtractive filter and minimal modulation (limited by copying old hardware's limitations).

Personally whilst I admire the work in this and 1000's of other bits of software modelling old hardware, the old analogue stuff is the least interesting stuff to model in my opinion.
Your post is like a breath of fresh air in a room full of stale analog smoke. :hihi:

I think the key word is "difference". Yes each synth has its own character and that's why we own more than one but there is only so much real difference between a Saw Bass and a Saw Bass. Yes one synth might be brighter, one darker, one "snappier" as the kids like to say these days but in the end they're all just Saw Basses.

Same with pads, leads etc. Different character but not really different sounds. There's only so much you can do with Saw,Square,Sine, Pulse, and Triangle waveforms.

Having said that I do like the character of the Mercury 4 and the price puts it near no-brainer range so I'll probably pick it up at some point. The problem for me with these kinds of simple synths is I get bored with them so quickly. How many Saw Bass patches can you make before the appeal wears off ?
:shrug:
Besides sound, the Jupiter 4 is (like the Yamaha CS series) one of the synths with a very special look and feel. Big and clunky, a little organ-like, massive and heavy, with a great and sturdy feeling when using the controls. It oozes quality. The smell is so good I would buy it if it could get into a bottle of parfumerie. It’s really not only about the great sound, but also the user’s experience. It’s so satisfying. :love: :love:

plexuss wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:33 pm It supports MPE! :o
Yeah, but it seems those presets which are labeled as MPE don't pitch bend, all others do. Haven't found out why...

Cherry Audio hit or miss me with their synths. This was a hit. Bought and found it it good bang for the bucks. Nice fat sound. Do not care to what degree it emulates JP4, which was my own first real synth btw. Sound quality is fine. Some digitalish clicks on some presets that annoyed me a little, I could eleminate with a little adjustment of attack and release. For 39$, it is deffo worth it to me.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Arashi wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:00 am Since this is the only real Jupiter-4 emulation so far, the only thing I have to compare it with is the Roland ProMars plugin.
Depends how you define 'emulation'. UVI's Vintage Vault contains the sample-based Saturn-4, which is based on the Jupiter-4. To me, it sounds better than Mercury-4, and has better dynamics (i.e. responds more noticeably to your playing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LgOyTZo5Y0

I'm impressed with Mercury-4, and Saturn-4 is the only thing currently preventing me from getting it. I don't know if Cherry Audio tweaked the code on which they base all of their synths, or if it has something to do with the character of the synth they're emulating, but the aliasing issue is much less apparent here. The sounds have character, and sound good in a synthwave context. I usually skip Cherry Audio plugins, but I'm really tempted to get this one.

Does the full version have more presets than the demo? The number of presets here was the only disappointment.

anadroid wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:17 am Does the full version have more presets than the demo? The number of presets here was the only disappointment.
Mercury-4 comes with over 400 presets. Seems plenty to me for a one osc synth!

Cherry did something about aliasing. Even without oversampling its almost gone compared to some other Cherry synths… Lets see if the other synths get updates…
And the sound is good, like it (can‘t compare to an original and don‘t care…)
UVI is nothing to consider as its just a sample pack and not a synth…

anadroid wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:17 am
Arashi wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:00 am Since this is the only real Jupiter-4 emulation so far, the only thing I have to compare it with is the Roland ProMars plugin.
Depends how you define 'emulation'. UVI's Vintage Vault contains the sample-based Saturn-4, which is based on the Jupiter-4. To me, it sounds better than Mercury-4, and has better dynamics (i.e. responds more noticeably to your playing).
I'm aware of Saturn-4, but it's sample-based, which I usually don't count as emulation. That said, I haven't actually used it and don't know much about it. Maybe they only sampled the raw oscillators, and still had to model the filter, envelopes, ensemble, and such? I'd like to try it out, but it doesn't look like there's a demo version.
Stormchild

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:41 am Cherry did something about aliasing. Even without oversampling its almost gone compared to some other Cherry synths… Lets see if the other synths get updates…
And the sound is good, like it (can‘t compare to an original and don‘t care…)
UVI is nothing to consider as its just a sample pack and not a synth…
The UVI is absolutely great and fun to play with, I don't care at all how it was done.
On the other hand a a synth with challenge response copy protection that phones home... no thanks.

rasmusklump wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:13 amThe UVI is absolutely great and fun to play with, I don't care at all how it was done.
On the other hand a a synth with challenge response copy protection that phones home... no thanks.
Do you mean UVI? Your Cherry Audio product gets also authorized for your system, it's just automated.

Unfortunately there are not many synths left, with a plain serial number....

Friendly Noise wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:07 pm Besides sound, the Jupiter 4 is (like the Yamaha CS series) one of the synths with a very special look and feel. Big and clunky, a little organ-like, massive and heavy, with a great and sturdy feeling when using the controls. It oozes quality. The smell is so good I would buy it if it could get into a bottle of parfumerie. It’s really not only about the great sound, but also the user’s experience. It’s so satisfying. :love: :love:
The smell ? :?

I have owned a ton of hardware including analog synths and I don't remember the smell being anything I ever noticed or cared about but to each their own.

Well if you need "big and clunky, massive and heavy", and smell I guess you'll have to stick with the hardware since there's no way of emulating those..... :shrug:

How long have you owned your Jupiter-4 ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”