Tape simulations for that mastering mojo.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It doesn't get any better than IK Tape to my ears on my master but Softube Tape is my standby for when IK Tape is too cpu intensive for a particular project.

BLUE-S-MAN wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:12 pm I never heard a better plugin till now:
https://www.londonacoustics.com/product ... -recorder/
This, and in case you have the full version of N4 Cupwise's tape or even the old CDSM Apex and R2R libraries.
But honestly, Taipei is a league of its own.

I think I'm finally coming to the conclusion that I simply don't like the "sound" of tape on my masters. ;)

If I were a client, I would expect a mastering service to have multiple tools at hand, along with the skills and experience to help a client achieve a certain sound, and that alone should set the rules. A mastering engineer should never push a client's work into a direction based on own preference, nor should a client demand certain tools upfront without a clear reason. It always depends on the piece of music, genre and effort it takes to achieve a specific sound. Choosing the tools is a per-project and per-piece decision between artists and engineer, and it's give and take for both sides (which for a client also means to do his/her homework and be prepared and informed of what the process is about).
IMO, it doesn't make much sense debating on what is better, as each of these tools do 'something'. Whether the actual sonic outcome pleases everybody involved in the process depends highly on the subject.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Voxengo CRTIV Tape Bus flies under the radar, but is very good.
Last edited by tviler on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chowtape , fuselabs flywheel is also nice
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

tviler wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:08 pm Voxengo CRTIV Tape Bus flies under the radar, but is very good.
Only if you're okay with the tape totally sucking life out of your subbass region.

Return to “Effects”