Wavesfactory releases Quantum - Beyond the transient shaper

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

imrae wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:16 pm
v1o wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:44 pm Boz's Trangressor is also similar to this but with EQ instead of multifx.
Transgressor doesn't have a proper transient detector; it's level-based like a gate.
What does this mean in practice? Why does it matter or how does it effect the sound?

Any chance of a multi out version that outputs the components of the signal for further processing?
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Isn’t this basically a foxy looking version of Physion?

Anyone compared the two?

v1o wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:44 pm Boz's Trangressor is also similar to this but with EQ instead of multifx.
Transgressor doesn't have a proper transient detector; it's level-based like a gate.
Not saying you're wrong, just wonder how you know this? figured out yourself or perhaps the dev said it?

Kr3eM wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:33 pm
Not saying you're wrong, just wonder how you know this? figured out yourself or perhaps the dev said it?
It’s really obvious if you know the difference? In Transgressor you set a level threshold, and signals exceeding this level (according to some envelope follower) are treated as “transient”. It’s totally level-dependent; quiet signals don’t trigger the transient section at all.

Pretty much everything else marketed as a transient processor (Quantum, SPL transient designer, Elysia nvelope, NI Transient Master, Transpire, various Waves plugins, ...) is somewhat level-independent. The obvious way to implement such a detector is by comparing a fast and slow envelope: when the fast envelope exceeds the slow envelope you have a transient. I expect the mentioned plugins have different parameters and refinements to this method. It makes them far more natural for something like acoustic guitar, drum kits or even buss processing. By using a relative threshold they can e.g. enhance the click of hihats even while other drums are playing.

imrae wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:48 pm
Kr3eM wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:33 pm
It’s really obvious if you know the difference? In Transgressor you set a level threshold, and signals exceeding this level (according to some envelope follower) are treated as “transient”. It’s totally level-dependent; quiet signals don’t trigger the transient section at all.

Well that's the thing, it's not that obvious when considering the Hard/Soft function...

from the manual wrote: Hard/Soft
This switch lets you decide if transients under the threshold will be triggered or not. When set to
hard, any transients that do not reach the threshold will be ignored and will not trigger anything.

When set to soft, transients that fall below the threshold will still be triggered, but less extremely.

Set it to Hard when you want to completely eliminate any false triggers, at the risk of possibly
missing some if your threshold isn’t low enough. It’s best for eliminating bleed from triggering
the transient engine.

When I demoed it, soft mode did not turn Transgressor into a "proper" transient designer. I think it basically changes it from a gate to an expander. My workstation is awaiting repairs, but feel free to check for yourself in the mean time... See if you can figure out anything about the different detector modes in Quantum while you're at it!

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:58 pm Any chance of a multi out version that outputs the components of the signal for further processing?
Yep, this is the only feature that would make me consider a purchase, as I prefer to use my own FX. That would make it like UA G8 is with gates.

Not to butt in on a conversation about the difference between a gate and transient detector, but a simple update to Transgressor with multi-out for the separate attack and sustain portions would allow you to treat them with whatever you want.

I love Wavesfactory stuff but I think I'm going to have to pass on this one

nonstatic wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:41 am
Ah_Dziz wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:58 pm Any chance of a multi out version that outputs the components of the signal for further processing?
Yep, this is the only feature that would make me consider a purchase, as I prefer to use my own FX. That would make it like UA G8 is with gates.
There are some god ways to do this in hosts like bitwig, but I like Wavesfactory. I'll probably grab this either way, but a dual stereo out version would be great!!

JJ

SNBeatz wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:59 pm Not to butt in on a conversation about the difference between a gate and transient detector, but a simple update to Transgressor with multi-out for the separate attack and sustain portions would allow you to treat them with whatever you want.
If you want it to work like Transgressor then you can already use G8 for this.

Been doing that for ages with Transgressor, as it can solo each component. You just have to duplicate tracks in your daw.

Anyway, i'll quote the answer from the dev himself on this question :
This was an idea that we wanted to implement at the beginning of the development - but every DAW works differently, on some of them it would be even impossible to do. We decided to turn down the idea.
Maybe if it would be possible in all DAWs in the future we will implement it.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:38 am
Been doing that for ages with Transgressor, as it can solo each component. You just have to duplicate tracks in your daw.

Anyway, i'll quote the answer from the dev himself on this question :
This was an idea that we wanted to implement at the beginning of the development - but every DAW works differently, on some of them it would be even impossible to do. We decided to turn down the idea.
Maybe if it would be possible in all DAWs in the future we will implement it.
I've done it that way in my DAWs. I just like WF a whole lot so I wanna get his. Hopefully they can find a way to do it. I'll check the demo. maybe It will be light enough on cpu to use as a splitter.

Hey! Quantum has been fixed to version 1.0.1:
  • Fixed: weird noises in Logic Pro X.
  • Fixed: effects not initialized when UI wasn't opened.
  • Fixed: Lo-Fi effect now correctly handles the dry and wet mix.
  • Fixed: Reverb now handles all sample rates.
  • Fixed: Pitch Shifter now handles latency compensationcorrectly.
  • Improved: output volume only affects the wet signal.
  • Improved: smoother waveform display.
You can update directly on the plugin using the Auto Updater feature, or downloading the latest installer from the website:
www.wavesfactory.com/audio-plugins/quantum

Any chance you'll look at parameter scaling and tempo syncing? It's a pain-point that undermines an otherwise pleasant workflow.

Return to “Effects”