WHATS NEW in the Studio One 5.4 UPDATE! | NATIVE Apple M1 Silicon Support!

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2370 posts since 9 Dec, 2011 from falling

Post Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:51 pm

Macros to insert my most used plugins on tracks is a favorite of mine. A quick keystroke and I have Pro-Q3, etc. Simple timesaver.

Studio One macros are pretty badass.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

2370 posts since 9 Dec, 2011 from falling

Post Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:56 pm

aMUSEd wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:40 pm
I love how many of the stock plugins expand into a smaller version in the mixer channel. Is this only with Presonus plugins or are any third party ones compatible with this (like Softube Tape is compatible with Mix Engine FX)?
I think that’s only Presonus plug-ins.

However, some compression plugins like fabfilter Pro-C and Softube will show gain reduction amount next to the level meter.

KVRAF
32757 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:12 pm

billcarroll wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:56 pm
aMUSEd wrote:
I love how many of the stock plugins expand into a smaller version in the mixer channel. Is this only with Presonus plugins or are any third party ones compatible with this (like Softube Tape is compatible with Mix Engine FX)?

However, some compression plugins like fabfilter Pro-C and Softube will show gain reduction amount next to the level meter.
Really? That's cool. Pro EQ doesn't sadly. I have the Drawmer Comp but hadn't noticed if it could do that.

KVRist
39 posts since 6 Aug, 2021

Post Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:03 pm

billcarroll wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:51 pm
Macros to insert my most used plugins on tracks is a favorite of mine. A quick keystroke and I have Pro-Q3, etc. Simple timesaver.

Studio One macros are pretty badass.
Yes, pair it up with a gaming keyboard like K55 that I use myself which has G1, G2, G3, G4, G5 buttons and it's incredibly fast to use. I've assigned these G buttons to F13 and above, then set G1 through G5 to Quantization (1/8, 1/16, and so on) then Ctrl + G1 to Add Pro-Q, Ctrl + G2 to Add Compressor etc, Alt + G1 to Sample One, and so on.

For me, Ctrl + G keys are always effects, and Alt + G keys are always Instruments and just G keys are quantization settings. It is very useful.

I wanted to buy a StreamDeck just for the macros and the fact that you can put a picture to key in StreamDeck so you don't have to memorize everything. But having 5 extra keys is beside your keyboard is much handier than having a separate keyboard IMO.

KVRAF
4724 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:32 am

billcarroll wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:56 pm
aMUSEd wrote:

must be VST - it doesnt work for AU

KVRist
91 posts since 9 Jul, 2020

Post Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:34 am

After loving to use Reaper daily since 2019 I decided to experiment last week with Studio One Professional trial just for fun.

I am amazed, honestly. Haven't had a single crash with in large sessions, the workflow both for mixing and songwriting is fantastic.

Reaper still is amazing, and I love it, but Studio One adaptation was effortless. I might think to eventually buy the full version.

KVRer
5 posts since 22 May, 2019

Post Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:01 am

aMUSEd wrote:
All the Plugin Alliance plugins do that also

KVRAF
29495 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:43 am

Yeah, that rocks.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:18 am

tommijk wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:01 am
aMUSEd wrote:
I tried a few BX modules but didn’t work - does it have to be VST2 or VST3?
Last edited by aMUSEd on Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRer
5 posts since 22 May, 2019

Post Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:20 am

aMUSEd wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:18 am
tommijk wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
I tried a few but didn’t work - does it have to be VST2 or VST3?
Maybe.. I always install only VST3, and there it works

KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:42 am

tommijk wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:20 am
aMUSEd wrote:
tommijk wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
I was trying it with the wrong ones it seems - it doesn't work with the Lindell console I have or anything by Unfiltered Audio, but it does with the 2 SSL Consoles I have, the Focusrite and also with BX Rockrack, Noveltech Character and Black Box HG2. This is awesome - I wonder what else it works with?

Can't get it to work with any of my Softube plugins - not even Tape (even though that does integrate as a Mix Engine Effect, which is great). Would be so amazing if it worked with Kilohearts snappins.

GRRRRRRR!
12468 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:40 pm

Yeah, it's one of my favourite things about S1 so I tend to only use the stock effects plugins, when I use effects at all. There is a pretty full suite of 'em so it's easy enough to do.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRAF

Post Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:15 am

OK I know Studio One isn't designed for multichannel audio but it can load and edit a multichannel Flac fine. However when I export it, it get's converted to stereo. I think there should at least be a warning to say it will do this, there is nothing in the mix down export panel that even mentions this.

KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:17 pm

aMUSEd wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:42 am
tommijk wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:20 am
aMUSEd wrote:
tommijk wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
I was trying it with the wrong ones it seems - it doesn't work with the Lindell console I have or anything by Unfiltered Audio, but it does with the 2 SSL Consoles I have, the Focusrite and also with BX Rockrack, Noveltech Character and Black Box HG2. This is awesome - I wonder what else it works with?

Can't get it to work with any of my Softube plugins - not even Tape (even though that does integrate as a Mix Engine Effect, which is great). Would be so amazing if it worked with Kilohearts snappins.
Which Softube plugins does this work with?

KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:44 pm

It seems between Mix Engine FX, ARA and Mixer plugin integration Presonus have gone out of their way to enable plugin devs to integrate their plugins in various innovative ways, it would be great to see more devs getting on board with these. Mix Engine FX in particular could be very useful but I only know of third party support for Softube Tape.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”