Arturia SQ 80 V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SQ80 V

Arashi wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:40 am
EnGee wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:24 pm Get busy importing!
Those are the same patches mentioned last week that everyone has already been trying to import. The import function has some issues and isn't mapping everything correctly, but yeah, there are lots of good ones in there and many of them are fine.

I'm finding it's pretty tedious to import the sysex files one by one. Too bad you can't just point it at a folder and have it turn into a single collection instead of a separate bank for every 30ish presets.
Edit: Yes, there are problems after importing and restart SQ80! Read the post below :(

I don't have any problem importing them! Anyway, it is time consuming but not that much! The individual files inside the folders are bank files of 40 presets each, so you are importing 40 files in each process.
For me, it is even longer, because I'm renaming each file (bank) after importing. It is a little bit more organised, although in the end it will be all messed up if you explore the whole presets! Oh, they are all also labled "keys" just to make your life easier :hihi:
Last edited by EnGee on Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Damn it! After all the time spent, it duplicates everything! So, the imported patches increased from 4k to 8k!! The problem is not exactly that, but when trying to navigate by the arrow, it refuses to advance! What a waste of time! I will delete them all now and just trying to use what already there (about 300 presets) and make my own as well :)

Yeah, seems like it's best (for me at least) to wait it out on the presets. Between the import errors, the duplicate files, and just the varying quality of what I've seen so far, I think it's best to wait it out. Someone else will surely curate, improve and bundle these given enough time. Don't need 3k presets, most of which won't be interesting, but a "best of sysex" collection of 200 or less would be appreciated. I think we'll see a few of those.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:20 am Yeah, seems like it's best (for me at least) to wait it out on the presets.
That's probably a good plan. I can live with importing sysex files one at a time, but I want to know they've actually imported correctly. It's easy to fix the ones that mistakenly applied some mod source to pan (which is why a bunch of them are panned hard right), but I have no way of knowing if the imported sounds have other issues as well. It looks like the banks that are specifically labelled "SQ80" import correctly, so maybe the importer just has trouble with certain ESQ-1 presets.
Stormchild

What are the most iconic sounds the sq is famous for?

The 40 orignal Factory presets are included in the product.
you can find them by going in the preset browser and selecting the "Vintage Factory" Style.
Just type Vintage in the search bar and it should appear just below.

mholloway wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:37 pm My main gripe with Arturia is why they don't just go ahead and include all the Factory content in the initial release. Sure, we can find & import sysex files, but if you're releasing an Emulator II or a SQ-80 or a DX7 -- why not just include that stuff? You can still have a 'new factory' bank of arturia artist presets, but create an 'original factory' content bank alongside that, instead of just including half (or less!) of the stuff.

Arashi wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:27 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:20 am Yeah, seems like it's best (for me at least) to wait it out on the presets.
That's probably a good plan. I can live with importing sysex files one at a time, but I want to know they've actually imported correctly. It's easy to fix the ones that mistakenly applied some mod source to pan (which is why a bunch of them are panned hard right), but I have no way of knowing if the imported sounds have other issues as well. It looks like the banks that are specifically labelled "SQ80" import correctly, so maybe the importer just has trouble with certain ESQ-1 presets.
Well, I found a very good way but very slow as well! I'm importing just one bank at a time, then going through it. When I find a preset that I really like I mark it. When I finish the whole bank, then I save those marked under a user bank then delete the imported bank and start again :)

It is a good way because I don't go through the presets like a crazy, but taking my time to hear the preset and play enough with it, then decide. There are many presets I like however! I think the SQ80 V is a very good emulation because you feel the original imported preset. It sounds really good and it is a pleasure to program :) I love this synth 8) Even at $99 it is a no brainer IMO.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:20 am Yeah, seems like it's best (for me at least) to wait it out on the presets. Between the import errors, the duplicate files, and just the varying quality of what I've seen so far, I think it's best to wait it out. Someone else will surely curate, improve and bundle these given enough time. Don't need 3k presets, most of which won't be interesting, but a "best of sysex" collection of 200 or less would be appreciated. I think we'll see a few of those.
Good idea.

One other issue is that imported stuff presumably are tagless, and Arturia's tagging system works pretty well and is useful to me. Presumably there would be some way of 3rd party importing of Arturia presets (as opposed to sysex files) should any kind and generous soul do that chore?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:50 am One other issue is that imported stuff presumably are tagless, and Arturia's tagging system works pretty well and is useful to me. Presumably there would be some way of 3rd party importing of Arturia presets (as opposed to sysex files) should any kind and generous soul do that chore?
Yes, you can export and import banks in Arturia's own format, and that will definitely be the best way to share patches with other SQ-80 V users.
Stormchild

The Dark Pad preset is really lovely. Reminds me of Eno's prophecy theme from Dune.

How do I access the bonus preset banks, having purchased this now

thanks

You should find them in your "My Products" section. I had to download them and install manually but maybe by now they're available in the Arturia Software Center.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

That was easy enough, thanks

My pleasure. So were they available to download and install in the ASC or did you have to manually download? It will be good to know for other people going forward.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The preset banks need to be downloaded/installed from in-plugin/app store, and are not available in ASC as far as I know.

If you have Analog Lab installed you can also get them from there.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Return to “Instruments”