SSL Native X-EQ 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The_Ogre wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:57 pm Hey guys, I still don't have the FF Pro-Q3, but have and use a lot the TDR Nova GE (which has dynamic EQ). This thread already brought others I had totally forgot about, that I don't have too (Toneboosters and Crave). Besides this one (SSL) presenting the anti-cramping in the high frequencies, does it brings something more than what could been achieved with of the previous ones? I'm on the fence here...
Although SSL say their anti-cramping code is proprietry, anti-cramping itself is not new or unique - a lot of EQ's don't cramp, including the ones you mention (Crave / TDR / Fabfilter / but not sure about Toneboosters?), infact it is pretty much a minimum requirement for a modern, clean digital EQ these days - SSL are just a bit behind the times.

Crave is my #1, above TDR, Fabilter, SSl and all else.

What I really do like about this SSL EQ (besides the rather nice GUI) is the parallel mode that is kind of unique, and lots of filter choices like wide proportional Q boosts + sharp cuts on the same band.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:26 pm
The_Ogre wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:57 pm Hey guys, I still don't have the FF Pro-Q3, but have and use a lot the TDR Nova GE (which has dynamic EQ). This thread already brought others I had totally forgot about, that I don't have too (Toneboosters and Crave). Besides this one (SSL) presenting the anti-cramping in the high frequencies, does it brings something more than what could been achieved with of the previous ones? I'm on the fence here...
Although SSL say their anti-cramping code is proprietry, anti-cramping itself is not new or unique - a lot of EQ's don't cramp, including the ones you mention (Crave / TDR / Fabfilter / but not sure about Toneboosters?), infact it is pretty much a minimum requirement for a modern, clean digital EQ these days - SSL are just a bit behind the times.

What I really do like about this SSL EQ (besides the rather nice GUI) is the parallel mode that is kind of unique, and lots of filter choices like wide proportional Q boosts + sharp cuts on the same band.
Yeah! I've been reading about it (anti-cramping), and it seems to be a great marketing play by SSL. However, what really got my attention was these two points you cited: parallel mode and filter choices (specially the first one). There are some people that tells this EQ has a not-so digital voicing, but I can't say anything about it myself.
AMD 3500X | RAM 32GB @3200Mhz | GTX 1650 Super OC | SSD M.2 NVMe 512GB | SSD M.2 SATA 500GB | HDD SATA 2TB | Win10 x64 | AKG K92 | JBL One Series 104 | Presonus Eris Sub8 | Steinberg UR22MkII | IK Z-Tone DI | WA12 MkII | Reaper v6

The_Ogre wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:45 pm

Yeah! I've been reading about it (anti-cramping), and it seems to be a great marketing play by SSL. However, what really got my attention was these two points you cited: parallel mode and filter choices (specially the first one). There are some people that tells this EQ has a not-so digital voicing, but I can't say anything about it myself.
I know it's annoying when people say "It's only $40, just get it" because for $40 USD I can take my family out for gourmet burgers, fries and thickshakes - so it's not a complete no-brainer. That said... I think it's good value for money.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:08 pm
The_Ogre wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:45 pm

I know it's annoying when people say "It's only $40, just get it" because for $40 USD I can take my family out for gourmet burgers, fries and thickshakes - so it's not a complete no-brainer. That said... I think it's good value for money.
For someone living in Brazil, I can't say it's only 40usd. But, if it's a good tool, and considering it's really discounted (taking as a base its base price), OK, I can agree it's a good value for money! But now, I'm thinking to take a deeper look at Crave DSP too, before deciding. The price point of Crave, even without a discount, is interesting.
AMD 3500X | RAM 32GB @3200Mhz | GTX 1650 Super OC | SSD M.2 NVMe 512GB | SSD M.2 SATA 500GB | HDD SATA 2TB | Win10 x64 | AKG K92 | JBL One Series 104 | Presonus Eris Sub8 | Steinberg UR22MkII | IK Z-Tone DI | WA12 MkII | Reaper v6

plexuss wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:14 pm
Parallel / serial band topology selection
Gain/f/Q UI efficiency on band point
Feature set is lean and efficient
Maybe it's also worth pointing out:
Do I need to pay to upgrade?

No, upgrades are complimentary for existing users of SSL Native or Duende Native.

This includes Duende Native V5, any version of SSL Native V6, and individual V2 versions of existing plugins.
Per Solid State Logic Help Centre
https://solidstatelogic.zendesk.com/hc/ ... o-upgrade-

kmonkey wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:09 pm Yeah I know SSL said that we need this otherwise we can expect our music being ruined technically (it's literally on their website and after reading their manual it is being insinuated), but it's a marketing blurb and nothing more.
SSL's new marketing campaign:

"Presenting our new Native X-EQ 2. Midol for your mix."
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

SSL Native Plug-in Collection Updated
Update adds new EQ Plug-In, drops iLok dongle.

Oxford, UK (July 15, 2019)—Solid State Logic has unveiled the latest edition of its Native 6.3 plug-ins, a free update for existing Duende Native and SSL Native customers. The update introduces a new X-EQ 2 Native studio plug-in and drops the need to use a physical iLok dongle. All SSL Native 6.3 plug-ins can now be authorized to a computer.

X-EQ 2 replaces the existing X-EQ plug-in with a new GUI, re-written algorithms and new features. The plug-in uses SSL’s proprietary ‘anti-cramping’ DSP aiming to provide a transparent EQ; the plug also allows for the creation of up to 24 EQ bands with a choice of 17 classic and modern different filter shapes and EQ types.

Other new features include M/S processing modes, Band Solo and extra analysis tools, including Phase and Step response plots. X-EQ 2 also features “significant” DSP optimization, according to SSL, aiming to keep the computer’s CPU load low.

SSL Native v6.3 plug-ins are available in AAX, VST3/VST2, and AU formats, 64-Bit only.
Link: https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/gear-an ... on-updated

I only picked it up in the sale a few days ago but it has replaced Pro Q3, Crave and Acon digital as my main EQ. For me it’s biggest plus is I just love using it. Feels spacious and super simple to dial in.

kmonkey wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:09 pm
v1o wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:51 pm You don't need the pristine sound quality to top the charts. Listen to Billie Eilish.
No I am not going to listen him/her whatever. In case you didn't realize (perhaps I wasn't clear), I actually agree with you.

My whole point is making this "anti-cramp" as a feature is ridiculous because in practical life no one would be able to hear that difference in that region. Well your dog maybe.

Yeah I know SSL said that we need this otherwise we can expect our music being ruined technically (it's literally on their website and after reading their manual it is being insinuated), but it's a marketing blurb and nothing more.
I disagree you can hear cramping well into the audible range. If you try an analogue EQ and then try a very early digital EQ like the old Waves plugins - you will hear it. It is the main reason why many end up buying eq plugins instead of just using the stock parametric eq. SSL are not using the cramping thing for marketing reasons, they are mentioning it because their expensive EQ was heavily criticised for being cramped so they had to come up with a version 2 to correct the issue.

The company most well known for speaking on the cramping issue are TDR. And wouldn't you know they have some of the best sounding EQs on the market.
Last edited by v1o on Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

lol, maybe they should just join PA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rickskii wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:16 pm I only picked it up in the sale a few days ago but it has replaced Pro Q3, Crave and Acon digital as my main EQ. For me it’s biggest plus is I just love using it. Feels spacious and super simple to dial in.
Nice! It won't straight-out replace Crave for me, as I now can't live without the different phase modes, particularly Transparent and Analog. Automating is also smooth and flawless - not sure, maybe the SSL is too. But this SSL does have a few advantages like proportional-Q (wish Crave had it) - I will definitely be using it alongside Crave. Crave is also 64-bit double precision internal processing which I think just goes that touch extra for digital transparency running at the DAW's native bitrate with no "truncation", though this is a bit of a claim and I'd have to directly compare them in blindtesting... which i'll prolly do :D

BTW the SSL Native Bus Compressor is fantastic too.

i think the sale ends today. i like the proportional Q also and the controls right there on the filter. won't say it has pushed out Pro Q3... Q3 has more features but for the sale price it gives many EQs a run for their money. i just wouldn't pay $299 for it lol... or ANY EQ for that matter lol but i bought it for $40 and i am loving it.

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

what's the selling point of this, can anyone tell me the appeal?

Sounds great, quick and easy to use with good visual feedback and low CPU, plus a good variety of filter types

Pretty much every stock replacement EQ released in the last 4 years tho.

CPU is probably not as low for me as any other Native M1 offering (voxengo, fab, melda) with a similar feature set

Return to “Effects”