How current you are with your DAW version?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion

How current you are with your DAW version?

I'm on the current version
62
78%
I'm 1 paid version behind
16
20%
I'm 2 paid versions behind
1
1%
I'm 3 paid versions behind
0
No votes
I'm 4 paid versions behind
0
No votes
I'm 5+ paid versions behind
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 79

User avatar
KVRian
574 posts since 19 Jan, 2008 from Bethlehem, PA USA

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:51 am

Cakewalk by Bandlab is always up-to-date & working for me. Maschine 2 is always up-to-date because of how painfully slow NI updates the software, though, technically it's not a DAW (and i hope they keep it that way, because who would ever want a DAW made by a company that is SO SLOW with updates? lol)
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

KVRAF
29533 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:08 am

I'm not a Maschine owner, but, as you say that it's so painfully slowly updated, I just took a look, and saw that the latest update was a mere 2 months ago: https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... 4-2.80682/ Guess "painfully slow" is a matter of interpretation.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRian
865 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:27 am

Latest version. I get anxiety if my version number falls behind.

User avatar
KVRAF
7007 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:44 am

I always stay current on Logic (my main DAW). I only upgrade my other DAWs if there's a need to (e.g., collaborations), a great deal on the upgrade, or some new features that I really want. For Wavelab (my main audio editor), I skipped v10 and just upgraded to v11 for the new features. I'm still on Cubase 9.5, Live 9, and Studio One v4. Studio One is my second-most used DAW, but v5 is a pretty weak upgrade in terms of features I'd use, so I'm not interested enough to upgrade.

User avatar
KVRAF
7520 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from Auckland, NZ

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:38 pm

jclosed wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:47 am
Well - A few changes compared to the past.

Cakewalk Sonar: I had Sonar X1 in the past and upgraded that one to X3, but made the "jump" to Cubase after a year of subscription. Not only because I am not a "lover" (to put it mildly) of the subscription model, but Cubase was just better for my needs. I tried the free version of Sonar, but still like Cubase better.
Cubase: Until now I kept my Cubase up to date, and I probably will keep it that way.
Ableton Live: Sold the license and made the jump to Bitwig fulltime now. Not only did Bitwig fit my needs better, but in my honest opinion the users of the standard version got the short end of the stick with the latest upgrade. Almost all upgrades where for the suite version, letting the standard users out in the cold. That cemented my decision to do Bitwig only.
Bitwig: I bought Bitwig more than two years ago, and renewed at the start of this year after I sold my Ableton license.
Reason: I owned a license for a few years, but decided this year I did not used it enough to make the upgrade a valid thing to do. So - I sold that license too.

At the end I only use two DAW's at this moment (Bitwig and Cubase), and they are both fully up to date.

I could name FLStudio. But I bought that one years back, and have not used it for several years now (it's just not my piece of cake, and yes I have tested the newer updates and that made no difference). However - It always will stay up to date, because that's their license model, so you could say it belongs to the "up to date" group.
What a similar experience! However, I'm still not letting go Live yet. Bitwig is my mostly used DAW now and can't see that changing because maybe I keep returning to it! But sometimes I feel more comfortable and inspired in Ableton Live. I like the drum kits more and the elegant grey environment suits my mood :hihi: The routing is easier and also all hardware support it (except few), althpugh Bitwig has a fantastic support for most hardware to be honest. I don't know! I find myself keep buying and selling those 4 DAWs: Cubase, Bitwig, Live and S1! I still have the Artist of S1, but I'm not using it and Reason is for sell now (won't bother with it in spite of having bought several racks).

I also have Samplitude x3 not installed. I bought it for cheap 2nd hand. I was curious to learn it, but I chose Cubase over it in the end.

So, I'm going to update Bitwig mainly but not sure if I need to update Cubase or Live. I must save some money to upgrade my car as it is getting old, although it just keep running without any problem, oh and there are my dancing teeth :) I need to spend about $10000 (in Thailand or Turkey) but waiting for the traveling to be easier first.

So, there are actually more important things in my life than DAWs and music making, so I might just stop spending anything from now on :hihi: I just realized that I feel silly to spend that much money on music software/hardware :smack:
Cubase 11 Pro, Bitwig Studio 4 on Win10/Ubuntu Studio and R5800x with
US-4x4 HR, Keylab 49 MK ii, MODX 6, DeepMind 12D, KK M32 and ATOM.

User avatar
KVRAF
20093 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:12 pm

EnGee wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:38 pm
What a similar experience! However, I'm still not letting go Live yet. Bitwig is my mostly used DAW now and can't see that changing because maybe I keep returning to it! But sometimes I feel more comfortable and inspired in Ableton Live.
I haven't even installed Live 11 even though I bought the upgrade. Reading your post, I just decided to sell it.

User avatar
KVRAF
7520 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from Auckland, NZ

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:55 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:12 pm
EnGee wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:38 pm
What a similar experience! However, I'm still not letting go Live yet. Bitwig is my mostly used DAW now and can't see that changing because maybe I keep returning to it! But sometimes I feel more comfortable and inspired in Ableton Live.
I haven't even installed Live 11 even though I bought the upgrade. Reading your post, I just decided to sell it.
Is that because I said I like it? :hihi:

Anyway, I still believe it makes more sense to be with just one DAW for composing music. Maybe another DAW for mixing/mastering, but to be honest, I have never used two DAWs for finishing one song! So, why I need two? It is for playing around only, like a game not like a music production environment!
Cubase 11 Pro, Bitwig Studio 4 on Win10/Ubuntu Studio and R5800x with
US-4x4 HR, Keylab 49 MK ii, MODX 6, DeepMind 12D, KK M32 and ATOM.

User avatar
KVRAF
20093 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:04 pm

EnGee wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:55 pm
pdxindy wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:12 pm
EnGee wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:38 pm
What a similar experience! However, I'm still not letting go Live yet. Bitwig is my mostly used DAW now and can't see that changing because maybe I keep returning to it! But sometimes I feel more comfortable and inspired in Ableton Live.
I haven't even installed Live 11 even though I bought the upgrade. Reading your post, I just decided to sell it.
Is that because I said I like it? :hihi:

Anyway, I still believe it makes more sense to be with just one DAW for composing music. Maybe another DAW for mixing/mastering, but to be honest, I have never used two DAWs for finishing one song! So, why I need two? It is for playing around only, like a game not like a music production environment!
No, I had kinda forgotten about Live and you reminded me about it and mentioned why you are not letting go of it. And since I have not even installed it and have no plan to, no reason in my case to keep it.

I'm happy with Bitwig and even if it never was updated again, I would just keep using it. Plus I have Logic as a second DAW and that is a no brainer as it never costs anything to keep it up to date.

User avatar
KVRAF
7520 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from Auckland, NZ

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:42 pm

I have also Logic, but not sure which system I will be using in the future! Currently I have both Windows and Mac, but I might choose just one! In the case of Mac, I might as well just use Bitwig/Logic but if I stay in Windows/Linux, I think I will keep it Bitwig/Cubase. Although, I'm intending to use only Bitwig, I don't have that confidence to depend on just one DAW! I don't know! Maybe I don't trust anyone/anything 100% :)
Cubase 11 Pro, Bitwig Studio 4 on Win10/Ubuntu Studio and R5800x with
US-4x4 HR, Keylab 49 MK ii, MODX 6, DeepMind 12D, KK M32 and ATOM.

User avatar
GRRRRRRR!
12510 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:58 pm

I'm up to date on Studio One because the version I bought remains the current version. I am two or three paid upgrades behind on Cubase for the simple reason there was nothing in any of the subsequent updates I felt was worth paying for. I'm sure it will be the same with Studio One because I am perfectly happy with it as is. It would take something truly amazing to get me to pay for an upgrade, which seems unlikely to happen, given how incredibly full-featured it is already.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRAF
2345 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:46 pm

I'm on the nobody would care version.
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source An Enhanced User Customisable Website & Program Resource | Music | Art | Films | Games | DAW Tutorials |Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16

KVRAF
22906 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:58 am

I'm 3 "maintenance" updates behind the Cubase 11 curve. Because they're not maintaining. I'd as soon call 'em Breakage Updates.

KVRist
497 posts since 2 Nov, 2014

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:35 pm

How come the total votes add up to 101% :lol:

Edit:I have voted and now it is 99

User avatar
KVRian
803 posts since 4 Feb, 2021

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:07 pm

I am on Reason 11 and I suspect I will be for years to come unless RS come up with something worth their expensive upgrades. I’d rather use my money for third party stuff. E.g. in line with Arturia’s SQ-80v campaign, Arturia offered me that and the whole V8 collection for a crossgrade price of 269 Euro. It is more expensive than a Reason 12 upgrade, but also much more value for money to me. I just like a DAW that works to my satisfaction. Streams of upgrades stress me anyway, and more than one DAW stresses me too, so I will be more than happy with what I got. :party:
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or obligue motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”