SSL Native X-EQ 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:28 pm
sonicpowa wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:22 pm
Ploki wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:40 am Demo only via gobbler? well... thanks but no thanks.
That´s odd, trial via ilok worked for me.
how? I can't find the trial code on the page and when i try to authorise it doesn't ask me if i want to create a trial license like it usually does with plugs
I couldn’t try it either - no demo ilok code. And I won’t install gobbler and then demo all the SSL plugins just to try another EQ. Especially one that doesn’t resize.

So I did a demo of DMG Equilibrium instead (which, compared to ProQ3, is ugly, harder to use, and sounded the same once Q was adjusted to match - the ratios are different). They have some individual features. I uninstalled the DMG EQ without regret.

^ hmm.. it seems they have updated the demo policy 3 months ago so it´s now via gobbler. I had unstarted trial waiting.

one thing ploki... if you use FF Pro Q3 mostly... then how much time is spent mousing down to the controls after selecting the filter to adjust? sure it ain't much on small projects.. it is only time. but when you have BIG projects and timelines to meet... saving time is your biggest friend.

i only do simple (small projects) myself but i can easily see where having all the controls available without moving the mouse once you select the filter can save quite a bit of time in the long run. that alone is easily worth the $40

but this is only my opinion

cheers
Last edited by MadDogE134 on Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

sorta like the S1 5.4 update... the multi render out. if you do multiple renders in various formats... in the past it took time to do them one are a time. now with the new update you can select all the formats you want and adjust their options then render out once.

it's not a BIG deal... but it saves a lot of time overall
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:48 pm So I did a demo of DMG Equilibrium instead (which, compared to ProQ3, is ugly, harder to use, and sounded the same once Q was adjusted to match - the ratios are different). They have some individual features. I uninstalled the DMG EQ without regret.
Equilibrium is more than it appears. The control over the DSP is huge, for those inclined to tweek. The band types are also really useful and some are unique. And the over-all sound quality. Granted the UI is more utilitarian over slick but its frankly in a good sweet spot for usability and aesthetics. Of course if you dont't jive with it at least you gave it a try.

MadDogE134 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:25 pm one thing ploki... if you use FF Pro Q3 mostly... then how much time is spent mousing down to the controls after selecting the filter to adjust? sure it ain't much on small projects.. it is only time. but when you have BIG projects and timelines to meet... saving time is your biggest friend.

i only do simple (small projects) myself but i can easily see where having all the controls available without moving the mouse once you select the filter can save quite a bit of time in the long run. that alone is easily worth the $40

cheers
That makes sense, if volume (not sound volume) is key to your usage. As someone just needing a digital EQ to use while making music, I've still yet to find something better overall than ProQ3 - it's good at everything, even if some other EQ here or there is exceptional at one or two things different. But if you need those one or two things, then using a different tool is the way to go. I've tried the Crave EQ, as well, and, once adjusted to match, also found it to sound the same for my purposes the same as Equilibrium (they're all quality digital EQs) - but I'm not a professional mixer/engineer so the tiny differences may simply be beyond my ability to notice. I'm actually a user researcher, which is why I TOTALLY get wanting to use the best tool for the job.

I hope SSL rethinks their demo policy and does it like most other companies, offering a demo iLok code. I truly would've tried this EQ out as I truly enjoy their SSL BCv2 plugin and would try others as they come on sale over time, as well.

i too use Pro Q3 and stated before the SSL one has not pushed it aside. i was just speaking why anyone would want this over that etc. it is true Pro Q3 has far more features and is a bit more useful to me... just the SSL for $40 could help some tons

cheers

MadDogE134 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:25 pm one thing ploki... if you use FF Pro Q3 mostly... then how much time is spent mousing down to the controls after selecting the filter to adjust? sure it ain't much on small projects.. it is only time. but when you have BIG projects and timelines to meet... saving time is your biggest friend.

cheers
Modifier, you can adjust pretty much everything with mouse modifiers

i understand... also controllers and midi learn (tracking) can save time also :)

cheers

Ok I bought it, you all are responsible
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

MadDogE134 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:45 pm i understand... also controllers and midi learn (tracking) can save time also :)

cheers
I had to check because i didn't know from my head (muscle memory):
scrollwheel = Q for bell/shelve, or filter slope for hp/lp
option drag = constrain frequency and adjust only gain
option scroll = dynamic gain
drag around = frequency + gain
shift = precision whatever
you can split band to m/s l/r with contextual menu (right click)

you barely need bottom control row, how many times do you need different bells than 12dB/octave?

Voxengo GlissEQ has a similar option set and i actually prefer it for m/s EQ often - because it has the option of separate FFTs per channel. I also prefer it for split L/R eqing.

These are EQ's made for computer. They work wonderfully on a computer with a mouse.

Aiynzahev wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:07 pm Ok I bought it, you all are responsible
that was funny and i needed a laugh :) thnx

Aiynzahev wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:07 pm Ok I bought it, you all are responsible
It only gets worse. I've actually picked up half of the SSL plugins over the last couple of years thanks to similar sales.

-e.B
-- Insert profound words here --

downSouthside wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:10 pm
It only gets worse. I've actually picked up half of the SSL plugins over the last couple of years thanks to similar sales.

-e.B
Same. Hook, line and sinker. Keen for the reverb for $40 too, oh and the drum and vocal strips :lol:

Didnt you just get Voxengo all bundle? :?

Return to “Effects”