Synths with Ring Mod, OSC FM and Filter FM?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Autobot wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:40 pm u-he Zebra can do this as well
OSC 1-4 FM
FMO 1-4 FM, RM
RM Module for any combination of signal
XFM Dual Filter with FM
I don't think this right; the only oscillators which respond at audio rate are the FMOs. You can't route an oscillator to the pitch of another regular oscillator. If you could, the oscillators would be options in the modulation menus.

TyrellN6

Xils-Lab Syn'X2

yul wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:30 amRing mod is the harder one to find,
Ring Mod (to me) was always a standard feature, has that changed over the years?

Spire

CinningBao wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:21 am
OSC 1-4 FM
FMO 1-4 FM, RM
XFM Dual Filter with FM
I don't think this right; the only oscillators which respond at audio rate are the FMOs. You can't route an oscillator to the pitch of another regular oscillator. If you could, the oscillators would be options in the modulation menus.
That's partly true. The OSC modules do not have a mod input for straight FM but you have a couple of OSC FXs with different FM/PM capabilities and the intensity of it can be modulated.
rabbit in a hole

Rastkovic wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:16 am
Ring Mod (to me) was always a standard feature, has that changed over the years?

It's still quite common I would say. Maybe the flood of wavetable synths and similar made some think a ring mod is not necessary (?). But it's still in a lot of software and hardware synth. New-ish "classic' synths like Invader2 have it.
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:27 am
OSC 1-4 FM
FMO 1-4 FM, RM
XFM Dual Filter with FM
That's partly true. The OSC modules do not have a mod input for straight FM but you have a couple of OSC FXs with different FM/PM capabilities and the intensity of it can be modulated.
But, the OP asked for oscillator FM, and those OSC FX aren't real FM.

Synthi V
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

CinningBao wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:58 am
Autobot wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:27 am
OSC 1-4 FM
FMO 1-4 FM, RM
XFM Dual Filter with FM
But, the OP asked for oscillator FM, and those OSC FX aren't real FM.
Well it's not 'real' fm but it sounds like it :D so whether you are looking for tech or sound it's up to you but I'm fine when the sound is right. the OSC-FXs DX, Scrambler, Trajector, PhaseDist are capable of that fairly easy. For 'real' FM I prefer 'real' FM synthesizer.
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:29 am
Rastkovic wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:16 am

It's still quite common I would say. Maybe the flood of wavetable synths and similar made some think a ring mod is not necessary (?). But it's still in a lot of software and hardware synth. New-ish "classic' synths like Invader2 have it.
Thanks guys my thought was that rm was a little harder to find on poly synths, especially commercial ones. I was looking at hardware too and the Prologue is one of the few for example. Software is also not as common so thanks for all the suggestions.

Tone2 Icarus has several osc FM morph modes, several osc AM/ringmod modes, and several ringmod/FM filter types.

Biome_Digital wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:41 am Pigments can do most of that.
The neat thing about Pigments is that it has some type of FM in each of the four osc types; and in some cases, the FM can be used alongside other forms of modulation. I think ring mod is present in the sampler module.

Surge also has FM and ringmod capabilities.

Tranzistow has it all , in all possible configurations your heart desires ,
and ofcourse reaktor !
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

phreaque wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:27 amSpire
It has ring mod?

Dang, I really need to learn more about this synth. :D

Return to “Instruments”