Arturia SQ 80 V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SQ80 V

Something I made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfBTefSN_2Q
2 instances, 1 self-made sound, the other an existing preset (the pad).

AKJ wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:03 pm However, I must say, personally, I have more fun with the digital synths (this also applies for the Prophet VS part) and they are all imo quite good.
Same here, it was the digital ones that made me upgrade to V Collection, SQ80 V was the last drop in the bucket. It's cool that vintage digital stuff seems to be getting more love from the devs in general.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I think the brass "Matty Blades" by Matt Luney sounds great. Just add reverb in SQ80 V to the imported lead sound and you will feel like Vangelis ;)
I think the brass sounds very similar to the original hardware. Well done Arturia :-)

Source: https://synthlib.com/brands/ensoniq/ins ... oniq-esq-1 (https://synthlib.com/brands/ensoniq/instruments/ensoniq-esq-1)

As someone who used to own an SQ80 having a plug-in version with an actually good GUI, alternative envelope types, and MPE is pretty great

I did not expect them to implement MPE, but it seems they did listen to the demands. That gives hope for future updates to the other emulations... That certainly would be a very strong argument to upgrade to the next incarnation of the collection...

I submitted a report for this already, but there seems to be a bug with MPE. It mostly affects the standalone version, though I did get it to happen in Bitwig once too. Basically, channel pressure works fine for a few seconds, then the instrument stops interpreting the separate pressure streams independently, causing the pressure values to fluctuate erratically when you hold multiple notes. Hopefully an easy thing to fix.

Anyway, it's a lovely instrument, and I'm glad Arturia are starting to incorporate MPE into their emulations too, since it already works so nicely in Pigments.

I don't know if anyone posted these yet, They aren't in the Ultimate Patch Collection.
Jexus has a free ESQ-1 patch set in his archive (scroll down)
http://syntezatory.net.pl/wcog_synth_patches.htm
I managed to get some of them to load but they are all panned hard left.

They sound very nice though :tu:
Synth Presets and Music
https://linktr.ee/BoBSwanS

bob swans wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:37 am I don't know if anyone posted these yet, They aren't in the Ultimate Patch Collection.

Since you already imported them, couldn't you publish the converted SQ80 V presets for us to download? Could be just the ones you consider are good enough.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:47 am
bob swans wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:37 am I don't know if anyone posted these yet, They aren't in the Ultimate Patch Collection.

Since you already imported them, couldn't you publish the converted SQ80 V presets for us to download? Could be just the ones you consider are good enough.
I didn't get that far yet, just imported one bank of 40 patches to check they worked.
Synth Presets and Music
https://linktr.ee/BoBSwanS

Just trying to install SQ80 on my studio computer, it seems download gets interrupted and is not working at the moment.
Anyone else having this problem in Arturia Software Center?

Always goes back to "Download Paused".

Did reboot etc, did not help.

Edit: Found the single download in Download section on website.

VitaminD wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:30 pm
olepro wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:34 am
MartyK wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:03 am
olepro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:45 pm
Teksonik wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:05 pm
olepro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:20 am I have the hardware Ensoniq SQ80 to compare with
I am in contact/dialog with Arturia about these problems and they know there is problems.
I think the Arturia synth is awsome, but I also think it is sad if it is not faithful to the original.
Are you the Ole mentioned in the readme for SQ8L ?

Like I said earlier this is the initial release of SQ80V. As long as Arturia is aware of the issues and is willing to work on them I imagine they will get fixed. I assumed they had a hardware SQ80 at hand while creating the project but perhaps not.

I see there are SQ80V threads at the Arturia forums so we can all report there and help with testing. Seems like only a single beta tester is involved at this point but if he's getting the message to the developers then that's a start.

Import issues aside it's still a great sounding synth that's fun to program so until (if) the issues are fixed it can still be enjoyed. :tu:
Yes, it's me in the readme.
I had dialog and testing with Siegfried Kuhlmann after the very first SQ8L release.
And you are right about SQ80-V
It is a great synth, and that's why i so much want the emulation part to be as good as possible.
Interesting. Can you confirm that Siegfried KuLLmann has passed away? I already had this assumption a few years ago. And there was an answer, among other things, that the man should have had a profile on Facebook. But why should someone who has developed an interesting synth and wanted to develop it further, stop uttering a sound overnight if he was supposedly still alive?
No I cannot confirm anything lille this, that he passed away.
But i have had another thouht, but it is free fantasy.
Around that time another musician passed away. "Pete D Namlook" a great synth guro
His artist name Namlook was his last name Kuhlmann as it sound saying it backwards.
His real name was Peter Kuhlmann
I have been wandering if they were brothers, and it could have been this that stopped Siegfried Kuhlmann developing?
But again, this utter speculation
He stopped corresponding with me in 2011. He had said he abandoned the project and wasn't responding to mail, but then was thinking of a complete rewrite for VST3. At the time he was unsure if he would continue development however. I suspect he had more interest in other pursuits.
Hm, ok, thank you, but I find it strange that the man just stops like that without reporting again and making an official statement.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:57 pm
MartyK wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:03 am
olepro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:45 pm
Teksonik wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:05 pm
olepro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:20 am I have the hardware Ensoniq SQ80 to compare with
I am in contact/dialog with Arturia about these problems and they know there is problems.
I think the Arturia synth is awsome, but I also think it is sad if it is not faithful to the original.
Are you the Ole mentioned in the readme for SQ8L ?

Like I said earlier this is the initial release of SQ80V. As long as Arturia is aware of the issues and is willing to work on them I imagine they will get fixed. I assumed they had a hardware SQ80 at hand while creating the project but perhaps not.

I see there are SQ80V threads at the Arturia forums so we can all report there and help with testing. Seems like only a single beta tester is involved at this point but if he's getting the message to the developers then that's a start.

Import issues aside it's still a great sounding synth that's fun to program so until (if) the issues are fixed it can still be enjoyed. :tu:
Yes, it's me in the readme.
I had dialog and testing with Siegfried Kuhlmann after the very first SQ8L release.
And you are right about SQ80-V
It is a great synth, and that's why i so much want the emulation part to be as good as possible.
Interesting. Can you confirm that Siegfried KuLLmann has passed away? I already had this assumption a few years ago. And there was an answer, among other things, that the man should have had a profile on Facebook. But why should someone who has developed an interesting synth and wanted to develop it further, stop uttering a sound overnight if he was supposedly still alive?
There is a Siegfried Kullmann on both the linkedin page and facebook
On linked in , Siegfried Kullmann is a DSP CODER , software developer workeed at Karlsruher Institut für Technologie ,worked at gameforge etc..
Pretty sure that's our man and he is still alive and kicking .
Thank you for the hints. Yes, that could be the meant Siegfried Kullmann. But if he doesn't speak up, he shouldn't be surprised to be thought dead.

In the manual it says you can save your own MSEG creations from a pulldown menu but I am not seeing how to do that. I thought maybe I was supposed to click on the word "Presets", but that doesn't do anything. Is there another way to save them?
"Presets: this is a pulldown menu where you can save and recall your own MSEG
envelopes."

Examigan wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:47 pm In the manual it says you can save your own MSEG creations from a pulldown menu but I am not seeing how to do that. I thought maybe I was supposed to click on the word "Presets", but that doesn't do anything. Is there another way to save them?
envelopes."
I see the same thing. Looks like they meant to offer it as an option, but didn't, perhaps.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:36 pm
Examigan wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:47 pm In the manual it says you can save your own MSEG creations from a pulldown menu but I am not seeing how to do that. I thought maybe I was supposed to click on the word "Presets", but that doesn't do anything. Is there another way to save them?
envelopes."
I see the same thing. Looks like they meant to offer it as an option, but didn't, perhaps.

Steve
I think this is planned but not yet implemented.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”