One Synth Challenge #151: GR-8 by Phuturetone (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:32 pm I think my percussions sound okay (many of you would disagree because they're basically rock drums). I had to use like 5 different instances for the snare drum sound.

No fine pitch on one of the osciillators, each oscillator slot having different waveform options, and no mod matrix makes it harder. For envelopes you can shape it with compression/dynamics processing.
I always try to use a single instance for any sound, some months I’ve tried layering, it’s just not my thing, along with only just using automation, I guess I need to rethink my outlook :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Hi, where can I download the VST3 mac version of GR-8?

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:52 pm Hi, where can I download the VST3 mac version of GR-8?
Sorry, there's no VST3 for Mac, only Audio Unit.

Hi All,

GR-8 has been updated to 1.1.0:
  • Added version number to the GUI.
  • Added Synth/Effects Randomize and Reset functions (per request).
  • Changed Arp controls to drop-down menus (per request).
  • Fixed popup hint text for all switches.
  • Removed random phase from Oscillators in Mono and Poly modes.
  • Moved Pitch Bender and Mod Wheel controls above the wheels.
  • Added Pitch Transpose control (+/- 6 semitones) (per request).
  • Added Velocity to Filter Cutoff and Amplitude (per request).
  • Optimized LFOs to save CPU.
  • Added LFO Retrig button - this will affect some old presets (per request).
  • Added internal ON/OFF switches to Chorus, Delay & Reverb to save CPU.
  • Preset List returns to the top on a Category change.
  • Improved Preset List scrollbar motion.
  • Updated GUI and About screen.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/gr-8-b ... /downloads

Please make sure to keep the installation of the previous version in case something is terribly wrong with the new version.

Warning: Adding the LFO retrig button will affect the old presets with the Tempo Synced LFO. If you notice the obvious difference in the sound, please activate the LFO Retrig button.

Important change for drum sounds: I've removed the random phase for the oscillators in mono and poly modes. To make OSCs retrigger from zero, activate the sync button. That should produce more consistent drum transients.

If you experience any problems with the plugin please let me know. You can post bug reports here:
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=567425&start=165

Thanks,
Sasha

:) thanks Sasha

Velocity : )

Very good!

Phuturetone wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:17 am
Shouldn't this be optional? I think random phase gives nice analog like variations. Maybe a little reset / retrigger button on each OSC?

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:27 pm
Phuturetone wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:17 am
Shouldn't this be optional? I think random phase gives nice analog like variations. Maybe a little reset / retrigger button on each OSC?
Hi Hanz,

No worries, the oscillators are still free-running, a Note ON event won't restart/retrig the OSC's Phase.

In previous versions, each Note ON modified OSC's Phase with a random amount. That kind of modulation was a mistake because it introduced clicks between the tied notes, also made it impossible for two drum hits to sound the same when the OSC Sync is activated. That is why it is removed in the latest version.

The OSC Phase is restarted from zero only when the OSC Sync function is enabled. So that part is already optional.

Cheers,
Sasha

Thank you!

https://soundcloud.com/jasinski/stepinto

Created in Ableton Live 11. 70+ instances of the free VST synth GR-8.
Built in Live effects (Comp, EQ, Saturation, Delay, Hybrid Reverb, Auto Filter)
VST effects: Super Massive, Limiter 6.

.... and here's my cheesy entry for this round

DAW: Reaper

Tracks: 13 * GR-8,12 * ReaEQ, 1 * OTT,2 * Oril River
Master: SlickEQ,Ferric,MSED,LoudMax
Meter: SPAN,Youlean
Stats: -12.9 LUFS, DR: 11

Enjoy

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/gr8ted-cheese-to-go

https://soundcloud.com/user-570157220/m ... r-8-osc151

Daw: Cubase Elements 11
Phuturetone GR-8 v1.07 x 19
Stock Cubase Effects: Stereo Delay, Compressor, Brickwall Limiter, Maximizer, DaTube, Envelope Shaper
3rd Party Plugins: Youlean Loudness Meter 2 Free, TDR Nova free, TDR Kotelnikov free, Auburn Sounds Couture Free

Thanks Sasha! Really like your synth a lot.

Awww, I'm missing another month and there's even the dev present!? Thanks, Sasha for coming in and improving things! :tu:

Well, I was spending some time in the orchestral library world and I must tell you: I MISS YOU GUYS! :hug:
I don't know, if you are aware of it, but you are a very special crowd of artists here. The kind after my own heart by 100%. Even with any and all the occasional bickering and especially with the good old teasing every now and then, seems like there is no other place in music quite like here, being among us. If anyone here accidentally ever thinks, anyone of us would be arrogant or- god forbid- distant, you have no idea. It's like we all carry our heart on our sleeves, have our head in the game, but look at each other like family members, like it's perfectly natural how much we exchange, share, appreciate each other and pour our love for more than just making music into every track we do. Even when you think, you didn't, oh, you do!

In the orchestral library world...hmmm... it is not like here. I don't want to insult it, but it just... I wonder, if it is the whole consumer aspect of it all, like the "musicians" there expect to be given a ticket to excellence with their purchase, or that they can't be bothered with much more than how to use the tools they acquire to attach themselves with one achievement of others to another achievement of another. As a result they seem distracted by the effort of feeling superior, subconsciously aware that they carry little responsibility for the quality of sound they produce, haha. Harsh, I know. But, really... it's painful to witness all the dependence and the strangely distant smugness you find there.

Here, well, yes, not everyone develops their own synth, but we're ready to go into the deepest depth of a piece of raw sound source, or a deep appreciation for the developers creativity, excited to make it sound fantastic and create music with it with passion damn near down to the cell level of it all. We are able to love what the other is doing not with envy, but with wonder, ready to figure out how to dazzle in our way in return, hehehe. A game of passion, of pleasure, it's- eh- like an orgy of making sound, haha! :hihi: :hyper:

Well, you are my crowd and whenever I miss a month, my heart is bleeding a little. I miss you guys! But I will be back! :violin:

Taron wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:06 am Awww, I'm missing another month ...
Aww man, I saw a Taron post and I was hoping for another unique and excellent track to beat @Jasinski... but noooooooo. :ud:

Return to “Instruments”