2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pekbro wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:52 am
pdxindy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:35 pm A Rossum Assimil8or that I ordered a long time ago, showed up on my doorstep yesterday!
Assimil8or is the tits... :tu:

*What made you decide to cancel the S2400?
I'm looking forward to exploring the Assimil8or! After canceling a sampler (S2400) another kind of sampler finally showed up!

I canceled the S2400 for a combination of reasons. Waldorf just released the M and after hearing it I had to have one. The M is taking the spot I had reserved for the S2400 :hihi:

Also, there are some bugs with the S2400 currently and I have less patience with being a beta tester for hardware these days. I want gear that just works and is ready to go. I can always order it again in a year when the firmware is more sorted...

I recorded a couch jam with the Make Noise trio and Zoia Euroburos, while having breakfast.
https://youtu.be/s7Ogs-ylSgQ

At first I assumed that I would sell the Zoia pedal after getting the module but since I can trade patches back and forth, I'm starting to reconsider. The enclosure is heavy folded steal with the same sparkly finish as the pedal. It feels very hefty. So far I'm very happy. :tu:

Very nice… what was Euroboros doing in the patch, outboard effects?

There is such an insane amount amount of sound from 0-Coast and Strega (how Vurt doesn’t have a Strega yet, I’ll never understand).

Is that a 3rd CVilization, or did you just give it the freedom of portability?

Yeah, I'm using Euroburos for effects, modulation and CV processing. The utility stuff is really light on the CPU, so any CV I/Os I'm not using in the patch can be put to work very easily.

That's the Pod I usually use on my pedal board but it's easy to move around. I just have the two CVzs.

This small setup is really powerful, an incredible variety of sounds and it's all powered by a Cioks DC7.

justin3am wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:11 am Yeah, I'm using Euroburos for effects, modulation and CV processing. The utility stuff is really light on the CPU, so any CV I/Os I'm not using in the patch can be put to work very easily.

That's the Pod I usually use on my pedal board but it's easy to move around. I just have the two CVzs.

This small setup is really powerful, an incredible variety of sounds and it's all powered by a Cioks DC7.
That’s impressive with Euroboros. That might be a 2022 B-day gift to me.

I have to pick up the DC7 now. I tried to cheap out with the Eventide Power Max, but I want the extra ports to use with 2 pods and the 3 make noise desktops with room to expand.

It's not the cost of the euroburo that bothers me, it's the fact that there doesn't seem to be a lot to justify the increased cost other than the fact that it's eurorack. It's eurorack, so it should be more expensive, in other words. :shrug:

I can understand that. If I hadn't already acclimated myself to Zoia's way of working, it probably wouldn't present the same value to me. More CV inputs and outputs made it an easy decision but there are a lot of neat things one could get for the price of a Euroburo.

I get that they have to pay for dev costs and whatnot, but with the case and psu it's a 50% increase in cost, to me that seems like a lot, even with the addition of a $20-30 psu. Anyway, I will very likely pick one up, but it kinda knocks my opinion of them as a company, down a notch.

Korg Volca Beats
Novation Circuit Tracks
Akai MPX8 Sample Player
Modal Craftsynth 2.0
Alesis SR-18(traded for)
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Cobalt-8 and too many VSTs to count.

Moe Shinola wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:40 am Korg Volca Beats
Novation Circuit Tracks
Akai MPX8 Sample Player
Modal Craftsynth 2.0
Alesis SR-18(traded for)
Forgot to include a "want to buy", pretty much the last thing I really need, a good, inexpensive hardware vocoder.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Boy I'm really tempted to get like 4 of SSF's Autodub module. I just don't have any space for it, lol.
I end up using a lot of VCAs for voltage control sends, when I'm using effects as part of a patch, having dedicated modules for that would be really useful.

I bought a Mackie ProFXv3 10 channel mixer as it was cheap and had a lot of features I wanted. The main one being compact size. I don't really need a mixer, but I like to use them and the come in handy sometimes. Anyway, it's a good choice for the money IMO, very compact and light. Tiny as compared to the monster 16 ch ancient mixer I was using, 10 ch is fine for my needs. The fx are ok, though I don't expect to use them really. :tu:

Thinking about swapping out my Moog Slim Phatty for an Arturia MiniBrute 2s or possibly a Waldorf Pulse v1 or v2. I love the sound of the Phatty, but it's got some known MIDI issues (hung notes, occasional drops response to MIDI in) that have become a little annoying. Plus, I recently bought a Sub 37 and Minitaur, so I really don't need three Moogs (although they're all different enough to coexist in my studio IMO). IDK, decisions, decisions....
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Update: just found a great deal on a like-new MiniBrute 2s! :wheee:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”