Phuturetone GR-8

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GR-8

Want to check the synth out

Phuturetone wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:51 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:08 am Thank you very much for listening and committing that much. This synth is quickly becoming a serious contender for these moments I just want something great sounding and very quick and easy to set and dial in what I want.

I still think you should improve the preset browser, however. It would be great to be able to create new user categories.

Finally, a suggestion: I think you should seriously consider releasing the FX tab from the GR-8 as an independent plugin. I bet it would become a VERY popular FX plugin.
Thank you!

The handling of preset categories in SynthEdit is set in stone. Many SynthEdit users have requested assignable categories and the creator of SynthEdit added the request to his TODO list. So there's a hope that one day we will be able to add that feature.

Thanks for the idea for the FX plugin!

Cheers,
Sasha
Until this implemented, you can open the preset-files in a text editor (e.g. notepad++) and edit the category manually.

You don't even need to go that far, do you? You should be able to open the presets folder in Explorer and rename things there. I'll try it when I get home and install the update.
Phuturetone wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:29 pm Thanks, guys! Here's the updated plugin:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/gr-8-b ... /downloads
Thanks so much for this, Sasha. You are a bloody legend! (That's a good thing where I come from.)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:59 am You don't even need to go that far, do you? You should be able to open the presets folder in Explorer and rename things there.
Nope, all presets are in a single folder. The category is in plain text in the preset file and presets are catergorized by this in the preset browser. Although you might need to restart the plugin for the recategorization to take effect.

Phuturetone wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:51 pm
ZonderP wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:26 pm Is it only for me, that the Filter Cutoff knob in 1.1.0 doesn't work?
All other knobs work, but Filter Cutoff always jumps back to 100 if I move the mouse down.

I will provide further info about my OS etc, in case it's only an issue on my machine.

Thanks Sasha for this wonderful GR-8, which I now really appreciate in this version with velocity support.
Hi Zonder,

I assume that you've accidentally assigned some MIDI key or control to the Filter Cutoff. Right-click the Cutoff knob and select UnLearn. Hope that helps.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the plugin. :)

Cheers!
Thanks Sasha!
Indeed the issue seems to be related to some MIDI controlling caused by my keyboard.
If my keyboard is powered off, then the Filter Cutoff Knob works, if it's on, then I get the described behavior. It seems my keyboard is sending something on which GR-8 reacts.
I didn't do any MIDI learning though and therefore currently I do not understand what exactly causes the issue. If I do 'UnLearn' on the Filter Cutoff, then the strange behavior stops, but as soon as I switch to the next preset, the behavior is back again, and if I then switch back to the previous preset on which I did the 'UnLearn', then also on that preset I still have that unfortunate behavior.
Need to check my keyboard's manual when I have some time. I'm sure some knob on it will send some CC, though I do not understand why any knob on the GR-8 would react on it, when I didn't do a 'Learn'....

ZonderP wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:30 pm Thanks Sasha!
Indeed the issue seems to be related to some MIDI controlling caused by my keyboard.
If my keyboard is powered off, then the Filter Cutoff Knob works, if it's on, then I get the described behavior. It seems my keyboard is sending something on which GR-8 reacts.
I didn't do any MIDI learning though and therefore currently I do not understand what exactly causes the issue. If I do 'UnLearn' on the Filter Cutoff, then the strange behavior stops, but as soon as I switch to the next preset, the behavior is back again, and if I then switch back to the previous preset on which I did the 'UnLearn', then also on that preset I still have that unfortunate behavior.
Need to check my keyboard's manual when I have some time. I'm sure some knob on it will send some CC, though I do not understand why any knob on the GR-8 would react on it when I didn't do a 'Learn'...
Bones had the same problem with his ROLI keyboard. The keyboard has a function called "3rd dimension" (or something like that) where MIDI CC #74 is sent by keyboard keys. I assume you should be able to turn that function OFF, but not sure, I don't own such a keyboard. Hope you can find out how to do it.

MIDI assignment is saved per preset. That behavior is preset in SynthEdit, and I can not change it. I assume that kind of behavior came with the VST3 standard. Some SynthEdit users have requested global MIDI assignments, so it may be an option in the future.

Some time ago, someone expressed the need for preassigned MIDI controls, so I mapped all the controls and applied the mapping to all factory presets. Looks like there's more harm than use from it.

I'm sorry about the inconvenience, the MIDI stuff worked much better in previous versions of the VST standard. I made a big pause in plugin development (almost 10 years) and was unaware of the change for the worse.

Phuturetone wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:05 pm Bones had the same problem with his ROLI keyboard. The keyboard has a function called "3rd dimension" (or something like that) where MIDI CC #74 is sent by keyboard keys. I assume you should be able to turn that function OFF, but not sure, I don't own such a keyboard. Hope you can find out how to do it.

MIDI assignment is saved per preset. That behavior is preset in SynthEdit, and I can not change it. I assume that kind of behavior came with the VST3 standard. Some SynthEdit users have requested global MIDI assignments, so it may be an option in the future.

Some time ago, someone expressed the need for preassigned MIDI controls, so I mapped all the controls and applied the mapping to all factory presets. Looks like there's more harm than use from it.

I'm sorry about the inconvenience, the MIDI stuff worked much better in previous versions of the VST standard. I made a big pause in plugin development (almost 10 years) and was unaware of the change for the worse.
Ah, so if I understand correctly, the factory presets come with 'built-in' already learned MIDI CC assignments?
When I do an unlearn on that Filter Cutoff of a preset, would there be a way to re-save that preset without the MIDI CC assignment to get rid of it in the future. Are the factory presets read in from the presets folder on startup or are they completely built-in and reloaded from read-only memory with every preset change?

ZonderP wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:10 am Ah, so if I understand correctly, the factory presets come with 'built-in' already learned MIDI CC assignments?
When I do an unlearn on that Filter Cutoff of a preset, would there be a way to re-save that preset without the MIDI CC assignment to get rid of it in the future. Are the factory presets read in from the presets folder on startup or are they completely built-in and reloaded from read-only memory with every preset change?
Each preset has its own MIDI assignment. If you make a MIDI assignment you need to save the preset. Otherwise, the MIDI assignment you've made will be lost as soon you change the preset.

If you want to make your own presets with the same MIDI assignments, you can do it by assigning MIDI controls to the Initial preset, saving a copy of it, and using it as a template for your sounds.

Here are factory presets without MIDI assignments:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4d2ncr466jnd ... HWNya?dl=0

Delete previous presets before saving these. I'm thinking about including them in the next release as default since MIDI assignments are causing trouble.

Bug Report

Hey mate - in Logic Pro X i noticed that if I do the "Save a Copy As..." the new project comes up with every synth instance initiated to Init, instead of preserving the project's status.

Incidentally, when doing a "Save as..." this does not happen.

It's not a big deal, and an easy work-around, but wanted you to know about it.

I have not updated to the latest version... yet.

mmGhost wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:43 pm Bug Report

Hey mate - in Logic Pro X i noticed that if I do the "Save a Copy As..." the new project comes up with every synth instance initiated to Init, instead of preserving the project's status.

Incidentally, when doing a "Save as..." this does not happen.

It's not a big deal, and an easy work-around, but wanted you to know about it.

I have not updated to the latest version... yet.
Are the sounds reset (do not sound the same as in the original project) or only their names?

Thank you!

Phuturetone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:56 pm Are the sounds reset (do not sound the same as in the original project) or only their names?
Ha yeah its just one massive project of saw waves playing back ;)

mmGhost wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:21 pm
Phuturetone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:56 pm Are the sounds reset (do not sound the same as in the original project) or only their names?
Ha yeah its just one massive project of saw waves playing back ;)
Thanks, and do the preset names stay the same? Do they reset too? If yes, what is the name they reset to? What version of GR-8 do you use?

Thank you!

I deleted the project, but the preset name does change to "ARP _____" something. its probably the first one in the factory preset list.

I'm using the version I downloaded on 9/2/21. can check version when i get home... but whatever your release was then.

Thanks for responding - incidentally - is there a way to save presets to something other than ".aupreset" so we can share across Win/Mac? i feel awkward making a feature request for a free plugin... ignore if you want ;)

mmGhost wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:27 pm I deleted the project, but the preset name does change to "ARP _____" something. its probably the first one in the factory preset list.

I'm using the version I downloaded on 9/2/21. can check version when i get home... but whatever your release was then.
Thanks, that was helpful!

There's was a bug with preset names in the version you have that is fixed in the later version. However, I will try to replicate the bug you've described in GarageBand.
mmGhost wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:27 pm Thanks for responding - incidentally - is there a way to save presets to something other than ".aupreset" so we can share across Win/Mac?
Regarding the presets, that part is out of my reach since that part is defined by SynthEdit. I'm not currently in macOS so I can't check - when you are saving a preset, can you choose any other file format/extension? On Windows, I have several options to choose from VST2 Preset, VST3 Preset, Audio Unit Preset, and XML Preset.

If that's not possible on Mac you can Export the soundbank, which can be imported on Win and vice-versa. The lame thing is that will export all the presets from the presets folder. Of course, you can manually move the presets you don't want from the presets folder before the soundbank export, and then later bring them back. I know, a "fun" process.
mmGhost wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:27 pm I feel awkward making a feature request for a free plugin... ignore if you want ;)
Wait, you guys are getting paid? :o

Phuturetone wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:07 pm Wait, you guys are getting paid? :o
Oh yeah, i'm rolling in money from all the bad tunes I've made :hihi:

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”