Whats your all-purpose/secret sauce compressor plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,
Im curious whats are all purpose compressor plugin which you could use on every material like vocals, instruments, drums, master channel etc. and get always good results with?

Whats your secret sauce compressor?

What makes those comps special?

Digital, Analog emulation, multi emulations (like DMG Trackcomp) - all welcome, just interested and the results! ;)

Cheers!
Last edited by Tendou on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Still MJUC.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

DC8C3
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Man, I jump around all the time. Been using PSP FETpressor a lot lately. I use Ableton's compressor quite a bit. Sometimes Waves MV2, usually in conjunction with another compressor. And sometimes Silika for the special sauce.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Big fan of FirComp2, to name just one...

IK Tape Machine 80.

I’ve developed a signal flow that emulates the old way of printing everything to tape. It is working amazingly well. I get the sound I want almost entirely from how hard I push the tape with console preamp/EQ plugins. I usually don’t need any compression or eq after that now. Effects get printed as well in most cases. That is how it was done in the ‘70s and ‘80s, and it’s a key ingredient to what makes it sound like a record.

If something needs a little more compression, it will get the built-in compression on the SSL channel I have following the tape.
Last edited by jamcat on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

An 1176-style compressor (FETpressor is a great one) can be for everything except master channel. I get better results with Vari-Mu-types on busses.

jamcat wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:37 pm IK Tape Machine 80.

I’ve developed a signal flow that emulates the old way of printing everything to tape. It is working amazingly well. I get the sound I want almost entirely from how hard I push the tape with console preamp/EQ plugins. I usually don’t need any compression or eq after that now. Effects get printed as well in most cases. That is how it was done in the ‘70s and ‘80s, and it’s a key ingredient to what makes it sound like a record.
You're the digital Steve Albini. ;)

Do you find the 80 to be better for this than the other IK Tape Machines and tape plugins from other companies?

Uncle E wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:51 pm
jamcat wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:37 pm IK Tape Machine 80.

You're the digital Steve Albini. ;)

Do you find the 80 to be better for this than the other IK Tape Machines and tape plugins from other companies?
The MCI is also good. I just use the A80 because it’s the standard. The other models are 7½-15ips 2-track machines. They have a bit more dirt and seem less appropriate for the process I’m trying to emulate (‘80s pro-studio.)

The one thing that IK is really missing from the Tape Machines, though, is an Ampex ATR-102 for the mixbuss. That’s what you would mix down to (at 30ips), not the lowfi 15ips Ampex AG-440B they give you. Maybe if you were doing some Motown or garage rock the 440 would be the thing to use.

I’ve had Slate VTM for years and used it in a much less refined/methodical way, but I never really got the legit vibe from it or any others I’ve tried prior to IK. I’m sure UAD would work if I had it. So I tend to mostly rely on IK for “the next best thing.”
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

DC8C can do nearly anything. My "secret sauce" compressors are the ones that work well on particular sources :D

yes, but wasn't the question what we use on everything?
Plus i think DC8C is also very good on specialized things.
Of course there are more specialized tools that hopefully are awesome at the certain tasks they were designed for.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

That must be McDSP 6030 then.

u-he Presswerk for me

It's a similar concept as DC8C - easy submodes that can expand to extremely tweakable main mode. It has some extras compared to DC8C, and a few things less.

u-he Presswerk for me too. Does just about everything! I usually have Presswerk and Satin on every track - I know I should switch things up sometimes but I don't..!

An all-purpose would be smart:comp when I have no idea if I really need compression, or when I'm not sure about the settings, just to see what it does by itself. When I like it, I try to copy settings in another compressor (because 40ms of latency is a no-go at the production stage).

If I had to keep only one to cover all my needs it would probably be Presswerk. Sounds great and is so deep that it can do everything. DC8C3 as an alternative.

But the real secret sauce is still Supercharger GT on the drumbus.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

Return to “Effects”