TOP 10 'Must have' old free synths

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the one you can put in d mix and use it as it is( or with minimum fx on it so to shine on it's corner).
That's pro sound and believe me isn't easy to make one that fit every mix and sounds dope everywhere :)
Most presets shine in specific place in specific mix - change it and it could become totally useless.
Cheers :)

There are no must have synths.

for you anymore :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Trying to remember when I last loaded up a free synth, because I actually thought it would give me something over my paid stuff. Must have been several years ago... if anything, I load them up when I get curious about how it sounded, or I read on KVR how fkn breathtakingly awesome it is. :)

Frankly, I'm glad I don't have any sentimental irrational relationship to the stuff. Free for the free-ness sake. Nope, not my thing. If anything, free used to be a conscious decision, because I wasn't willing to pay something.

chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:03 pm Trying to remember when I last loaded up a free synth, because I actually thought it would give me something over my paid stuff. Must have been several years ago... if anything, I load them up when I get curious about how it sounded, or I read on KVR how fkn breathtakingly awesome it is. :)

Frankly, I'm glad I don't have any sentimental irrational relationship to the stuff. Free for the free-ness sake. Nope, not my thing. If anything, free used to be a conscious decision, because I wasn't willing to pay something.
That’s fair. I don’t really care whether software is free or otherwise, so long as it IS NOT subscription-based. If it is, “kill it with fire” seems appropriate.

I know that, on the flipside from what you’re saying, plenty of people have a kind of “sentimental”, “irrational” bias in favour of paid software, because paying money for it somehow - in their minds, anyway - legitimises said software, and thus makes them feel more inclined to use it, to continue using it, and to use it productively/professionally/profitably.

Interesting psych crap at work here, no doubt. :party: Aaand sociological, political, whatever.

Anyway, there are a couple of free softsynths I do use, but I also use a whole bunch of paid stuff, both VSTi and processing. And, fwiw, those free things are fairly new in the scheme of things. So, um, re: the OP, nope. No old free synths for me.

One of the first soft synths I remember is the Steinberg Model E...

I guess that nowdays, it is more like a Model T :)
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:08 am Charlatan is a very good synth...
Oh this. My all time favorite. A joy to program, amazing sound, straight forward GUI and so much potential and once you know it inside out it can cover a loooooot of ground. It lacks an effects section but it can be made to sound pretty massive. Couple it with a few good effects and can top some of the best out there. My go to synth and my top choice when I want hassle free sound design.

It seems that i have to make demo video to argue my point of 'must have' :)
It's not just an expression i am using,some have unique sound signature and add something to the mix,other sounds plastic,so if you have time to find which one is 'right' for collection go for it.
Cheers :).

Only old and free "synth" I can think of off the top of my head that I have used within living memory is the Combo Model V. Back in the day, I used Synth1 and Crystal a fair bit, which are also mentioned in this thread.

I'd also like to give a shoutout to the HG Fortune synths. I have used them in tracks, but not recently. Probably because they aren't really bread and butter synths.

chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:03 pm Trying to remember when I last loaded up a free synth, because I actually thought it would give me something over my paid stuff. Must have been several years ago... if anything, I load them up when I get curious about how it sounded, or I read on KVR how fkn breathtakingly awesome it is. :)

How about a rational relationship then :)

There are some GREAT free synths out there, although it's getting out of the realm of "old" synths mostly, depending how one defines that.

The best free synths have to be on par with commercial ones. Some are free and still have a commercial business plan like Vital for example. Some had been commercial and are free open source now like Surge.
Free and on par as well I would list Odin 2 and Dexed as well as all free U-He synths...

I "must have" free synths because I can't afford commercial ones.

Erisian wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:35 pm I can't afford commercial ones
I highly doubt that. Unless you're living under a bridge.

How can you afford a computer? How can you afford the internet you are using to post on KVR?

Spend $10, and you own Serum for a month. Spend $20, and you own Synthmaster One, forever. :shrug: I really don't buy that "I can't afford anything" thing.

My 'must have' list is for these free vst which sit nice in d mix along commercial ones and add their own character,presence or something else.
Layers are good solution for rich dynamic mix,but have to be made carefully otherwise get messy imho :)
Cheers :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”