What's the easiest DAW to learn for someone new to music software?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm most partial to Ableton. I feel like it was the easiest for me to pick up. Plus they still have the 90 day free trial going so there's plenty of time to make sure it's your thing before you purchase.

Mixcraft, easily. I've tried many DAWs and that was the easiest to use by far. In fact, I've often heard it called "the GarageBand for Windows." They have a free trial version.

Energyxt, not only it is very easy to handle as a beginner, but it is also very low cpu and ram demanding, so you can use it with an old/low performance pc.
And it is nearly free !
https://energy-xt.com/energyxt.html

Another good thing i like in it, is to be able to make your own pc keyboard shortcuts with single letters/numbers of your choice, without the usual (and irritating) combined strikes with "alt/shift/control".

Added to the simplicity of the Daw, it helps making the workflow real fast.

In the ranking for easy use and fast workflow, i would put Mixcraft in second position, and Studio One in third.
Last edited by Philou11 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:45 am, edited 8 times in total.

This depends on the person. Reaper clicked with me right away (but I needed to change a few settings). I like Studio One too. The Artist version is crazy powerful nowadays.

I think it's Fl studio, the piano roll is very nice for mouse clicking notes XD

Except she’s actual piano player that doesn’t need to rely on piano roll happy accidents and endless clicking to stumble upon the same.

I got Reason 10 Lite with my midi keyboard and it was quite easy to get into, but I don't think Reason has any cheap software currently like Lite/Intro edition

:clap: So cool!
12 different DAWs in only 2 pages
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Maybe a subscription DAW , Reason+ or Sphere (Presonus s1) .... If she's on Mac she's already got GarageBand that's free . You also have StudioOne free , Tracktion Waveform free ... Ableton lite or Intro can be had for cheap or free.

Hmm... I'd say, if you want a full featured DAW. I'd go for either Ableton or Studio One.

If your preference is for electronic music, then I'd say Ableton. If it's more band type stuff then Studio One. Although both, can do either (but there's a slight bias in functionality). I found those two the easiest to learn. But I've dropped Studio One in favor of Nuendo for audio post duties.

Ableton is a breeze to use and learn imo. Plus, there are so many youtube vids out there if you get stuck.

Effectsworks wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:32 pm Hmm... I'd say, if you want a full featured DAW. I'd go for either Ableton or Studio One.

If your preference is for electronic music, then I'd say Ableton. If it's more band type stuff then Studio One. Although both, can do either (but there's a slight bias in functionality). I found those two the easiest to learn. But I've dropped Studio One in favor of Nuendo for audio post duties.

Ableton is a breeze to use and learn imo. Plus, there are so many youtube vids out there if you get stuck.
I couldn’t stand Ableton and found it hard to learn. But easier than Reaper. Everyone is different, which is why people need to try different ones.

I think Tracktion is the easiest to learn for the basics (though I’d still suggest Logic on a Mac): inputs on the left, produce music in the middle, going through synths/effects/output on the right. Plenty of comping and retrospective recording options, etc.

I’m happy making electronic music in both Tracktion (which excels at it) and Studio One. Zero need or desire for Ableton. But that’s just me.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:38 am I couldn’t stand Ableton and found it hard to learn. But easier than Reaper. Everyone is different, which is why people need to try different ones.
That's the thing with these threads. Everyone is different. I guess a good demo is the only way to find out what's right for you at the end of the day.

FL Studio. Tutorials are abundant on Youtube. Step sequencer simple and piano roll is the best. $200 will get you all you need and for life.

Michael L wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:10 pm :clap: So cool!
12 different DAWs in only 2 pages
This thread won‘t even stop when all existing DAWs are mentioned…
Just to fill the list: Cubase a smaller version…
Digital Performer…
ProTools… (the easiest for me, but not really to recommend…)

I would not look too much for ease, or you learn twice. Garageband for example might be easy, but is limited. As soon you want more you haven‘t learned the basics yet and start over again…

Well, from a really old prick perspective, who have started making noise on Atari 65XE, then Amiga (with Protracker!), ReBirth RB-338, Reason 1.0-3.0, Ableton, Cubase SX, Nuendo, Renoise, Tracktion, and finally Bitwig, I will say the following:

1) if the software is blocking your creativity in any way - change the software
2) try different things - I was really surprised how much of my past experiences influenced who I'm today as a bedroom producer. Learning as a process is a key here - be open to alternatives
3) avoid being vendor-locked with spending money on DAW X or Y sample pack/instruments - invest DAW-agnostic solutions (like Kontakt 6 rather than buying Ableton Sample Packs)

I would recommend Garageband/Reaper as cheap introductory DAWs to learn the basics, and ONLY IF you decide, that music production IS IT, invest in more modern and powerful DAW like Bitwig.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”