Which synths have multi-layers to program (e.g Rapid)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:38 pm Layers are the most horrible things ever invented.
Not if you're working outside in the winter

::::
Last edited by Autobot on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabbit in a hole

F.'em was already mentioned, but there's also Collective, Hyperion, and Biotek 2.

MarulaMusic wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:09 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:38 pm Layers are the most horrible things ever invented.
How so? If you don't like them don't use them.
I own Rapid and for me, it's like a half assed version of a multimbral synth without the ability to assign separate midi channels like my Omnisphere or Falcon. A synth that's gone that far might as well be multitimbral for better control. I bought it as a composer for it's overall sound and presets but missed that midi routing capability.

dblock wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:25 pm
I own Rapid and for me, it's like a half assed version of a multimbral synth without the ability to assign separate midi channels like my Omnisphere or Falcon.
Why don't you sell it on the second hand market?
Make it someone else's problem?

Norqa wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:45 am For multi layer Synthesis I think Bitwig shouldn't be overlooked.
Bitwig allows far more control over every single aspect using instrument layers.
Every Synth I own can become multi layer if that is what I want.
Yup... I avoid multi-layer software synths cause it is easier workflow, more flexible and capable to layer in Bitwig.

Autobot wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:36 pm
In hardware synthesizer it is quite useful as you can't duplicated a synth as easy as in software world.
Makes sense in hardware as there is only one instance.

In software, all the layering I do is in Bitwig. The Instrument Layer device unfolds in the mixer so one has a mixer channel for each layer, can adjust level and pan, add/use any VST FX, access send levels and so on. And of course one has the option to layer different synths.

Norqa wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:35 pm
dblock wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:25 pm
I own Rapid and for me, layers only is like a half assed version of a multimbral synth without the ability to assign separate midi channels like my Omnisphere or Falcon.
Why don't you sell it on the second hand market?
Make it someone else's problem?
It's not a problem. I just don't deal with that aspect of it much. I bought it as a composer for it's other qualities like sound, presets, arp functions etc.Like pretty much every vst, there are things I like and things I don't like about it but if the good outweighs the bad overall then I buy it and live with what I perceive to be limitations. I just happen to think a layering synth is like an unfinished multitimbral synth without the routing capability. Might as well finish it and have a multitimbral synth altogether for my uses anyway.
Last edited by dblock on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The new Flowstone from Toneboosters. It's got two layers, and independent envelopes.

Agreed. I hate layers as well.

Sinisterbr wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:06 pm
The OP didn't ask for your opinions on layers... :roll:

AnX wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:24 pm
You're right. Apologies to the OP for going off-topic.

True, but, that never held anyone off here from replying anyway. :hihi:

FWIW, I was half joking. Although I really dislike layers. Unnecessary.

chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:24 pm
True, but, that never held anyone off here from replying anyway. :hihi:

FWIW, I was half joking. Although I really dislike layers. Unnecessary.
Just feel free and bring your own beer to discuss synth-layering.

The subject was triggered by Roland JD-800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGSFjbjAUpg&t=9s (if you at least spend 3 mins to watch the intro)

Then I started to think which synths can program a patch has that much tiny detail sounds he played in the first 3 mins.

I have Rapid and Tone2 ElecX which more or less can program something like those patches in JD-800. Another approach is I can do it within Bitwig/Reason combinator or even Akai VIP (?) to combine 2 or more synth together to form a big lush sweeping + Tine pad sounds.

Both approaches have their own pros and cons. In the meantime, I will try to focus on a single synth to do the multi-layers programming.

Cheers!
Cowby

Return to “Instruments”