Whats your all-purpose/secret sauce compressor plugin?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRian
834 posts since 29 Oct, 2015 from Jupiter 8

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:02 am

for me it's because i don't like how it sounds.
I'd take my stock Reacomp over it any day and i think it should have an even more unimposing interface to most.

I also don't like being stuck to several different “preset behaviors“ where you basically have to be very good at every single one of the algos to know their limits and have to swap and change most parameters again if one algo doesn't give you the exakt result you'd like, whereas the “freely customize everything on one single screen / algorithm“ is more to my liking.
This shouldn't stop anyone else but me though to have Pro-C as their valid choice of dynamics excellence, same as not everyone needs to like my favorite tools.
There's no Logic to Windows

KVRist
137 posts since 25 Apr, 2021

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:07 am

Molotok, of course.
(And DC1A on buses)

KVRAF
4726 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:58 am

FapFilter wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:02 am
for me it's because i don't like how it sounds.
I'd take my stock Reacomp over it any day and i think it should have an even more unimposing interface to most.

I also don't like being stuck to several different “preset behaviors“ where you basically have to be very good at every single one of the algos to know their limits and have to swap and change most parameters again if one algo doesn't give you the exakt result you'd like, whereas the “freely customize everything on one single screen / algorithm“ is more to my liking.
This shouldn't stop anyone else but me though to have Pro-C as their valid choice of dynamics excellence, same as not everyone needs to like my favorite tools.
fair assessment.
It's really more of a "8 compressors in 1" (kinda like TrackComp or Logic's Stock compressor) than multi-compressor like DC8C or Presswerk (or Unisum)

For me i think it's the most used utility compressor, due to negligible CPU footprint. I can throw it anywhere and forget about it, and Opto is often on vocals when I want to keep it smoother. Opto action is similar to Pulsar Mu in its action, without the grime.
It's also one of the rare compressors with release hold.

One Molot costs like 15 Pro-C2's in terms of CPU.
Image

KVRAF
5297 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:45 am

Logic Pro Compressor blows everything else out of the water.
Just sayin'...

KVRAF
5297 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:46 am

Sonible smart.comp is a fast follower (and sometimes even a leader).

User avatar
KVRAF
6631 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:50 am

TDR Feedback Compressor is very nice. NOT an expert though
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

User avatar
KVRAF
1936 posts since 4 May, 2012

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:05 pm

Another vote for Supercharger.

Pulsar's Mu has got some sauce too.

User avatar
KVRAF
1855 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Seattle, WA - USA

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:07 pm

martinjuenke wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:45 am
Logic Pro Compressor blows everything else out of the water.
Just sayin'...
At the very least it's a plugin that Logic users should not be sleeping on, me included. The same goes for PHAT FX (essentially CamelPhat 2.0) which also includes all of the stock compressor emulation models with tons of distortion/clipping modes to choose from.

User avatar
KVRAF
1855 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Seattle, WA - USA

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:22 pm

Unaspected wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:05 pm
Another vote for Supercharger.

Pulsar's Mu has got some sauce too.
I did pick up Mu when it was on sale and even to my amateur ears it sounds smoother and more controlled than any of the other vari-mu compressors I've tried so far. I keep forgetting I own Supercharger, so I should start experimenting with it more.

KVRist
280 posts since 13 Jul, 2021

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:41 pm

Ozone 9 Advanced. I really think this is worth every penny of $500.

KVRAF
4726 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:22 pm

Ozone 9 is hardly a compressor :D
If we’re playing dirty then Voxengo premium bundle (everything) for less beats izotope for every penny twice
Image

User avatar
KVRAF
5861 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:58 pm

DDMF MagicDeathEye is what goes into all my mastering and a lot of individual tracks. To me it feels like there are no bad settings possible (unless you crank the makeup gain so much you clip something else later, so don't do that).

Supercharger GT is a close second, if I want to add more punch and/or saturation.

KVRist
212 posts since 11 May, 2010

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:35 am

Tronam wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:07 pm
martinjuenke wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:45 am
Logic Pro Compressor blows everything else out of the water.
Just sayin'...
At the very least it's a plugin that Logic users should not be sleeping on, me included. The same goes for PHAT FX (essentially CamelPhat 2.0) which also includes all of the stock compressor emulation models with tons of distortion/clipping modes to choose from.
I don't have the ears (hobbyist) that many of you probably have for telling compressors apart. I mainly use the LP compressors but also Kotelnikov, which seems to be very transparent to me (I see it's reducing gain, but it's harder to actually hear it! :D). Then again I don't tend to compress all that much with any single compressor though of course that depends on the material.

I also use the compressor in the Lindell 80 channel strip, certainly that is a very coloring plugin but I happen to like the color a lot :) Obviously you don't have near the control in that compressor that you might in others. In my case that is sometimes a good thing to have less controls!

I always forget about Phat FX and really need to get to know it. I know it used to be a standalone Camel product like alchemy and *blam* it just appeared in Logic one patch along with what used to be called Step FX! I didn't know it was using the stock compressor, that is really cool.

KVRist
280 posts since 13 Jul, 2021

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:11 am

Ploki wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:22 pm
Ozone 9 is hardly a compressor :D
If we’re playing dirty then Voxengo premium bundle (everything) for less beats izotope for every penny twice
Voxengo looks so bad.

KVRAF
1829 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:44 am

FapFilter wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:02 am
for me it's because i don't like how it sounds.
I'd take my stock Reacomp over it any day and i think it should have an even more unimposing interface to most.

I also don't like being stuck to several different “preset behaviors“ where you basically have to be very good at every single one of the algos to know their limits and have to swap and change most parameters again if one algo doesn't give you the exakt result you'd like, whereas the “freely customize everything on one single screen / algorithm“ is more to my liking.
This shouldn't stop anyone else but me though to have Pro-C as their valid choice of dynamics excellence, same as not everyone needs to like my favorite tools.
Having picked up Pro-C fairly recently, I know what you mean. With DC8C I can jump from a "preset behaviour" to the advanced screen and push parameters further. In one recent case I wasn't able to get the spitting snap that I wanted with Pro-C, but easily got there with DC8C.

That said, in other ways the workflow and sound quality are very nice so I hope to get to know its modes and limitations better. The sidechain EQ is very nice, and may well push bx_opto out of my go-to set.

Return to “Effects”