Baby Audio Smooth Operator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought Soothe 2 for $150 in the Buy & Sell. It is very expensive, just about the most I've ever spent on a single plugin, but in my opinion it is the best for de-resonating - you get great results quickly and can move on with mixing/music and not get bogged down in technical dramas with resonance.

A desert island plugin for me now for sure - so worth the cost for me. I was spending hours and hours automating individual notches. For certain things, I probably still will, but for the most part it's slap Soothe on and be done in minutes, even seconds. Excuse me if this sounds like an infomercial :lol:

I can't get Smooth Operator to behave like that.

smooth operator does next to nothing to iron out vocal harshness, is soothe the same?
cant demo it, needs to be hooked up to internet

Has anyone experience difficulties activating (authorizing) the baby audio plugins? I have a license for smooth operator that will not activate on one of my computers running an older Mac OS version. I thought I'd ask here as a last-ditch effort to find a solution.

ATelP wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:59 pm I thought I'd ask here as a last-ditch effort to find a solution.
Did you already contact the developer?

Smooth Operator isn't trying to replace Soothe

I'm wondering about this plugin for individual tracks as opposed to the stero bus. I have Teote which I use on the master , but I find it harder to dial in , and today I was experimenting Inna track with some effects and the result was cool but there were some harsh high end frequencies .

Is this CPU light and quick and easy to dial in for this purpose ?
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Worth the dough if I already have Gullfoss? The price is tempting and I've wanted a soothe-like plugin for a while (not soothe, I'm not paying EUR 200 for a fkn plugin).

I prefer Smooth Operator over Gullfoss or Soothe. Sounds more natural imo with quicker results. Use it as a problem solver only, though. Great plugin!

I don't consider Smooth Operator the same kind of tool as Gullfoss. For me, Gullfoss is a great sounding mastering "goodizer" as it's based on a baseline target set internally. Smooth Operator is more of a problem solving tool for resonsances and flattening out the frequency response. Soothe is best for correcting very narrow-band resonsances. So Soothe for peak-y resonance fixing, Smooth Operator for flattening (smoothing) the over-all frequency response and Gullfoss for making it all sound a bit better.

I have this plugin since it's launch I just started using it this week. It's nice and intro price was realtively cheap iirc. I have found two uses cases where it does the job. When a sound sticks out of the mix too much you can smooth out (hehe) the frequency response to help it sit better. Also when I want to tame the fundemantal frequency of a sound that changes notes a lot (like a busy bassline). its easy to scope some of the region and let it do its thing.
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:41 pm
escalona wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:55 pm
Ploki wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:08 pm And it's a game changer...
kinda like:
Gullfoss, Neutron Sculptor, Ozone Spectral Shaper, DSEQ3, Soothe2 and the ultimate: MSpectralDynamics (already a decade old)

f**king GAAIHNEME CHAINGEKER
You forgot the most uber-super-mega-game-changer... BX refinement!!! Wait until Di*k comes up with V2!!!
Lol...
:lol: :hihi:
A dynamic subtractive 3K peak and a 5K shelf. It was revolutionary for 2014 before anyone really knew what it did (pre-Plugin Doctor... the Dark Ages) :lol:
This is not how it works though. It’s also tracking modes of harsh frequencies all the down the bass registers. There’s some other stuff going on as well, see ex https://youtu.be/hAjnItB9Czc?si=oV55R7qRH2wY673B

I still find it useful as a one-knob approach to obviously harsh sounds, and although I could probably get closed with a dynamic eq, it would just take more time.

Return to “Effects”