Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

I'm so glad I got this. Truly one of the best synths I own.

I don't know, maybe it had been discussed already, but maybe someone paid attention that somehow strange LFO works, i mean why it hard-linked to Amp Envelope (under the hood) ?
So, if we wants assign lfo to something what will has impact to sound after Amp env stopped (when release end), lfo will has no impact.
Simple example - if we mant modulate mix knob of reverb fx when set long tail (size) or delay mix or time delay knobs when set big feedback. This just will stop to modulate after note playback.
I do not want to say that a big problem (though for some genres it may has great bummer), but uncommon solution for lfo frankly to say.

I guess its programmed in a way to take care of resources. If you want to modulate the tail of the reverb, simply modulate/automate it from your DAW...
Or as you want an FX reverb use any other reverb which can be modulated on that level...
Reverbs in VSTis are overrated anyway, only there to make presets more shiny. I prefer separate reverbs, more flexible and more efficient in all cases. Its only a bummer if you don’t know your tools...

@Tj Shredder well, ok not a big bummer, but just simple bummer.
Additionally, in case of lfo'ing delay times during feedback (that a great deal for those who know what wide palette of things can be obtain thru this) the making of external construction will be really inefficient, compare with "native" solution.
Automation...yes, glad that devs allow this at least, but i'm afraid it will not exactly the same, in different senses. Or again, will have to spend much more time, regardless how well you know your tools.

What about cpu usage as reason, i dont know, it seems to me not convincing (i mean, i do not see noticeable consumption during lfo works. But who know, maybe authors really guided by this).

I just picked up Thorn in the recent sale. I like the sound... however, am I right to think that there's no way to route an oscillator such that it bypasses the filters? The simple near-necessity of having a clean sub layer only appears to be possible if it uses one of the filter channels, and this leaves few options for modulation of body of the sound.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Thorn is on a sale, just sayin'.

Thorn is great. I mean DS Thorn (ver. 1.1.0). PA Thorn loosers suck.
AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP
Dmitry Sches|Surge Synth Team|u-he

What's different beside the fact that it is usable in the future due to platform maintainance and functional updates via PA?

nichttuntun wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:31 am What's different beside the fact that it is usable in the future due to platform maintainance and functional updates via PA?
yes, that i was wondering too. i have the PA version, if you can call it that way, it are independent developers, except brainworx of course. EDIT; some are only indepenent, it seems, like Unfiltered Audio, and DS (Thorn)

i made a track that relies mostly on the Thorn 1.2... own presets, of course, as always.

or relies, it is the only synth you hear all the time, 3 instances... but i is the basics of the tracks, so it does rely...

it is an impressive soft synth;

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada/th ... ristic-man
Last edited by WasteLand on Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

But you don't have to use the PA installation manager or am I missing something?

crickey13 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:00 am But you don't have to use the PA installation manager or am I missing something?
you don't have to use it, there are seperate installers for each plugin.

by the way -as expected with a mega sale- the $20 voucher arrived, so Thorn 1.2 can be bought for $19, or so, excluding VAT.

MEGA-SALE-20OFF

by the way. it works only one time. but they will reset it after a few days...

Interesting piece. It reminds me quite strongly of Mainesthai.
crickey13 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:00 amBut you don't have to use the PA installation manager or am I missing something?
Why wouldn't you use the PA Installation Manager? It makes life so easy. When I was setting up my new laptop a couple of months ago ,it saved me heaps of time installing the PA stuff I own while I played with Uno Pro. It's great!

Thorn is also great. I used a PA voucher to upgrade from the original license and, honestly, I couldn't tell what differences there were. There is certainly no reason to upgrade if you don't want to. I only did it because it didn't actually cost me anything. (Well, maybe $4 but that's nothing these days.)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I have an offline computer and don't own anything else from PA, so might as well use the regular installer.

Probably gonna create a PA account tonight and buy the synth, been coming for some time. For this price, it'd be kind of ludicrous not to pull the trigger already.

BONES wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:19 am
Interesting piece. It reminds me quite strongly of Mainesthai.
crickey13 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:00 amBut you don't have to use the PA installation manager or am I missing something?
Why wouldn't you use the PA Installation Manager? It makes life so easy. When I was setting up my new laptop a couple of months ago ,it saved me heaps of time installing the PA stuff I own while I played with Uno Pro. It's great!

Thorn is also great. I used a PA voucher to upgrade from the original license and, honestly, I couldn't tell what differences there were. There is certainly no reason to upgrade if you don't want to. I only did it because it didn't actually cost me anything. (Well, maybe $4 but that's nothing these days.)
I set up a new studio machine recently and yeah, the PA installer is gold.
The only thing I couldn't figure out yet is where it shows if updates are avaliable. I only can re-select the plugins completely.

Do you know if there is a hidden screen?

The Softube and Arturia installer for example do this on their own and show a notification.

Thank you.

Very cool, wanted to buy it for a long time but couldn't justify the full price since I had the Solo version.

Using the PA installer was a breeze, also I got a couple of useful freebies.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”