Does a dedicated GPU help run vsts like Serum and Vital?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I just bought a mid range gaming laptop with Ryzen 5 and GeForce GTX 1060 GPU and I'm wondering how well something like that will run the vst heavyweights like Serum, Vital, Ana 2, Massive X, etc.

As far as I know, it doesn't change a thing. The DSP is most definitely not run on the GPU.

Nope.

Trust me, I'm an engineer.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Good to know. Thanks for the responses.

Vital uses OpenGL, Parawaves Rapid uses OpenGL3.0 for rendering and Serum would I suspect use OpenGL as well. In Rapids case you have the choice to use the Software Renderer (CPU) or OpenGL3.0 which the graphics card will be associated with. In that sense, it would make sense to use OpenGL3.0 given any CPU benefits it may provide (rendering the animated waveforms being the key thing).
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

For Vital you can close the gui(not minimise) to reduce GPU use

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:01 am Vital uses OpenGL, Parawaves Rapid uses OpenGL3.0 for rendering and Serum would I suspect use OpenGL as well. In Rapids case you have the choice to use the Software Renderer (CPU) or OpenGL3.0 which the graphics card will be associated with. In that sense, it would make sense to use OpenGL3.0 given any CPU benefits it may provide (rendering the animated waveforms being the key thing).
sure, but i doubt that the load on the GPU is so big that a built-in GPU can't handle it.
Unless it's really REALLY shit like the intel HD630 and you run 4K+

RexBanner wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:51 pmSo I just bought a mid range gaming laptop with Ryzen 5 and GeForce GTX 1060 GPU and I'm wondering how well something like that will run the vst heavyweights like Serum, Vital, Ana 2, Massive X, etc.
Yeah, that's more than enough for DAW and few plugins, even on 2-3 4K screens. It's not a 3D game.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I have noticed that GPU can become a bit of an issue when using very large amounts of plugins as more plugins are using open GL for the GUI. I have a dirt cheap 2 GB fanless Nvidia card and it hiccups here and there. I might be better off using onboard processor graphics (which is my plan with my next build as I wait for a deal on a nice ish GPU), but my older i7 doesn't have it so I can't do a side by side comparison.
I would guess that it's not a very big deal for most day to day work, but once you get into running hundred of tracks with effects alongside video, it can become a factor.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Using an integrated GPU will steal a bit of your RAM so that's also a factor to consider.

Ableton running at 4K, with some plugin windows open, uses 0,7% of my GTX 1050 power, which at that time was the cheapest card that even allowed to connect 4K monitor.

So no, it's not about GPU performance. Just seemingly some plugins have less-that-perfect GUI implementation and clash with each other. I especially notice that when running Izotope GUI next to ShaperBox GUI. Their GUIs start to run at lower refreshing rate, but of course it doesn't have any impact on sound whatsoever.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I used to get massive system slowdowns having all my plugins open , even in the background. I thought that was GPU related, but I think its more CPU.

I run a RX 580 , as i like the odd game , but maybe it helps with Cubase or not, I dont think it matters, I am not sure though. I would have thought it would have freed up CPU cycles for the GUI of the DAW.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

A bit off topic, but I think this source (about parallel processing in Fathom) is quite interesting. https://www.fathomsynth.com/parallel

Also, FWIW, I've found that quitting putting so many fx all around my tracks makes my mixes more coherent. So, I do more and more bussing and reverb sends, rather than using different reverbs on different tracks in the DAW, and am downsizing on the number of VSTs I use. So apart from getting a clearer result, that's also a way of keeping CPU performance in check. (Personally, I would also do a mixdown of choirs etc, rather than have mixes with a hundred tracks playing live, but we all work in different ways.)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

LeVzi wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:56 am I used to get massive system slowdowns having all my plugins open , even in the background. I thought that was GPU related, but I think its more CPU.

I run a RX 580 , as i like the odd game , but maybe it helps with Cubase or not, I dont think it matters, I am not sure though. I would have thought it would have freed up CPU cycles for the GUI of the DAW.
It does if the software utilizes gpu. If it doesn’t, then no. Most vector graphic iirc are calculated on the cpu.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”