The Most Overrated and Underrated VST/AU (Effects And Instruments)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
6649 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:15 am

pretty much yes ^
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

KVRAF
4728 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:29 am

how is klanghelm underrated? It's in literally every "best compressors" post or thread.

also fabfilter isn't over-rated; it's rated exactly what its worth. :P

KVRian
933 posts since 13 Oct, 2005 from digging a tunnel under your PC

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:05 pm

Spencer Maddox wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:19 pm
JoeCat wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:36 pm
But judging from a lot of the social media groups I lurk in, for a ton of young producers it's virtually the only third-party synth they know of. Plus you have the Splice tie-ins, etc. And the dev himself is famous as a producer, DJ. So the synth takes off, sound designers flock to it, lots of presets are made helping to fuel more sales (availability of sounds is of course a great selling point).
Ain’t this The truth.
I’m 21 so I am in these groups and my goodness people love their Serum :hihi:
Not the only one tho usually they know 5 VSTS
Serum. Sylenth1. Massive (x), Kontakt, And Spire.

It’s not a bad thing, per-say, I mean.
but With great exposure and success comes a lot of mixed results in quality, and when you have boatloads or Gen Z’s armed with Serum, and an boatload of overcompressed Riddem Presets...
I feel serums success with younger much less experienced producers as well as its heavy preset industry that was powerful enough to literally BUILD companies (Cymatics comes to mind); has almost given it a disadvantage in forums like KVR.

Not to over-read the demographics of KVR but KVR has always seemed to lean away from that style of music and production period. For example People share actual compression knowledge instead of telling people to “Put OTT on it Bro” :hihi: (I kid I kid). Most users here seem to be more experienced, knowledgeable and tend to sway away from the heavy preset, smash mouth compressed style of some of the well known “Serum” kinda music :hihi:

You make a really good point about it being overexposed.
Mabye the best I’ve seen in terms of dealing with the complicated divide it seems to have on KVR.
I echo every word of this. I also think part of serum's success was that it had a fancy GUI that appeals to this particular kinda synth-illiterate demographic. It's probably also one of the most cracked plugins ever. I've demo'd it 3 times after thinking "am I missing something here ?", and I wanted to give it a chance, but 3 times I've decided I don't like the sound of the bare-bones oscillators, and it doesn't matter what fancy graphics, or modulation matrices you add on after that, if the oscillators don't appeal. So, for that reason, Serum for me, is overrated, and because it's been so overexposed.

Underrated -- Cableguys Curve 2 is one of the best synths I've heard. I never hear anyone talking about it, but it can do practically anything, and the sound quality is incredible. Hugely underrated.
The TAL synths are amazing too, and I'd love to see what those guys could do with a budget akin to that of N.I. because their JP-8, Bassline and Modulad synths sound great, and so much more realistically priced, even though the quality rivals what some other developers are charging double for.

KVRian
836 posts since 29 Oct, 2015 from Jupiter 8

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:31 pm

TAL wouldn't need more budget, but maybe a few more Patricks (even though he already does incredible work in his singular form)
Native Instruments actually used to be more innovative when it was still a bit smaller as far as i'm concerned
There's no Logic to Windows

KVRist
191 posts since 1 Sep, 2003 from Studio Telex

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:44 pm

Underrated = Propellerhead Europa (and, frankly the whole Reason system as a plug-in. If someone released that now you’d all go bonkers).

KVRian

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:45 pm

FapFilter wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:31 pm
TAL wouldn't need more budget, but maybe a few more Patricks (even though he already does incredible work in his singular form)
Native Instruments actually used to be more innovative when it was still a bit smaller as far as i'm concerned
If TAL is just one patrick, that's even more commendable. He would surely benefit from a multi-patrick approach, or some kind of Patrickulation matrix

KVRAF
3256 posts since 28 Jan, 2011 from MEXICO

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:53 pm

Serum is overrated but the reason for me is the CPU use and while some filters sound very good I think it still lacks filters as good as Diva/Repro and for the CPU costs it is kind of a hard deal for me.

Serum is easy to use, as was Massive before, they are both important in the history of UI design for Synths. That is important for noobs and those who want a fast workflow.

Replika Xt is also underrated IMHO.
dedication to flying

KVRian

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:44 pm

rod_zero wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:53 pm

word. It;s a gem. Upgraded mine recently, and it's a very different machine to the lite version. Awesome delay !!

KVRAF
5529 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:24 pm

Serum can sound absolutely wonderful if you know what you are doing. It's a very deep synth which can do much more than these obnoxious harsh sounds.

The problem with it is doesn't have an inherent pleasing character, like some other synths, such as Spire or UHe synths, you have to find out the combinations of wavetables, filters, effects etc, which work. If you program it in an "intuitive" way, that is pick a random wavetable, feed it into a random filter and add a cool looking modulation curve to some random parameters you'll likely end up with these harsh and ugly sounds which ruined so many genres in the last years.
Last edited by recursive one on Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/s ... travels-ep

GRRRRRRR!
12505 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:58 pm

It's all a matter of perspective. I don't rate U-He synths or Spire much, if at all, and certainly not over Union, Invader or Saurus. What you consider "harsh & ugly" someone else might think is the best thing they've ever heard.
gunark wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:44 pm
Underrated = Propellerhead Europa (and, frankly the whole Reason system as a plug-in. If someone released that now you’d all go bonkers).
Didn't Propellerheads do that a while ago? I seem to recall my bandmate getting all excited at the prospect and disappointed with the reality of it.
2NDMOUSE wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:44 pm
rod_zero wrote:
word. It;s a gem. Upgraded mine recently, and it's a very different machine to the lite version. Awesome delay !!
It's just a f**king delay and sometimes it uses more CPU than even my most CPU-hungry instruments, FFS! I don't even bother installing it any more.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRAF

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:09 am

BONES wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:58 pm
It's all a matter of perspective. I don't rate U-He synths or Spire much, if at all, and certainly not over Union, Invader or Saurus. What you consider "harsh & ugly" someone else might think is the best thing they've ever heard.
:clown:

KVRAF
5529 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:40 am

BONES wrote:
What you consider "harsh & ugly" someone else might think is the best thing they've ever heard.
Poor people :D

I'm not arguing about tastes and actually I do use quite a bit of agressive and harsh sounds in my music.

I'm just saying that it's not the only thing Serum is capable of. And there may be different kinds of "agressive and harsh", it may sound cool, edgy and hi-fi or it may be just a torture for ears, Serum is equally capable of both but the latter comes from it naturally and the former requires a bit more effort.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/s ... travels-ep

KVRAF

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:30 am

Spot on.

how much effort it takes to get a certain sound pretty much defines a synth in my opinion.
You can make a super saw with pretty much any modern synth, but it takes significantly more steps and effort to get one from different synths.
Layout and workflow inherently steers you towards certain sounds.

i.e. bazille sounds surprisingly (or not surprisingly) similar to Spire in character, but it's a completely different synth and while bazille is capable of more; getting to certain spire-like sounds requires much more time than with Spire.
you have to like synthesis to work bazille

KVRian
946 posts since 6 Jun, 2003 from Reading UK. (U rrrrrrs)

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:51 am

Underrated:- Beep Steet's - Dagger VSTi. Such a lovely combination of great filters and modulation options means, for me, this is the best VSTi for big phat juicy synth bass. To get some perspective on my personal taste, my other favourites for synth bass would be something like TAL's BassLine 101 or Exonic UK's MegaHertz. Downside with Dagger is that it isn't immediately obvious what each control does and needs a good couple of hours or so of experimenting with all the controls to really get some idea of just what Dagger can produce. Take a couple of hours experimenting with Dagger and listen to how these controls work and interact - Wave/ Phase/Detune/ Filter Mod options, Filter velocity control, High Pass filter settings, Filter Drive, Amplifier Drive etc. Looooooooooooooooooooooooooovely!! :love:
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

KVRAF
3256 posts since 28 Jan, 2011 from MEXICO

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:32 am

BONES wrote:
gunark wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:44 pm
Didn't Propellerheads do that a while ago? I seem to recall my bandmate getting all excited at the prospect and disappointed with the reality of it.
2NDMOUSE wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:44 pm
rod_zero wrote:
It's just a f**king delay and sometimes it uses more CPU than even my most CPU-hungry instruments, FFS! I don't even bother installing it any more.
Replika XT has quite a bit of features in a simple GUI and sounds excellent. Not many delays have Tape+ difussion algos plus pitch shifting. It is deceptively simple.
dedication to flying

Return to “Instruments”