Reason price hike starting October 1st

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just saw this on VI-Control. If you're waiting around for the promised M1 support or on the fence for other reasons now is the time to buy.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/reason-new-pricing

BTW at jrrshop.com the coupon code "forum" gets you the upgrade for $114.81

Propellerheads sure does know how to scare away customers don't they?

hoxclab wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:46 am Propellerheads sure does know how to scare away customers don't they?
Propellerheads has been no more for several years now. They don't make the calls.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:04 am
hoxclab wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:46 am Propellerheads sure does know how to scare away customers don't they?
Propellerheads has been no more for several years now. They don't make the calls.
Just a name change isn't it? or did they get bought out or invested in like NI, Roli, Studio One etc. etc.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:23 am
antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:04 am
Just a name change isn't it? or did they get bought out or invested in like NI, Roli, Studio One etc. etc.
They've been bought by venture capital company (Verdane) I believe in 2016 or 17, replaced the CEO and - what it seems like - many senior staff. And obviously made lots of other moves that (part of, at least) community isn't happy about.
Music tech enthusiast

Hmm? no. I upgraded from 2.5 when they announced the Reason Rack, and IMO the GUI change and M1 support are enough for me to get 12.

There was no penalty at all for upgrading from Reason 2.5 to 10, this is how it should be, pay the upgrade when you see the features you want without penalty for not keeping up. I'll probably be on 12 for 5 year or more, unless they get to it. :)

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:26 am They've been bought by venture capital company (Verdane) I believe in 2016 or 17, replaced the CEO and - what it seems like - many senior staff. And obviously made lots of other moves that (part of, at least) community isn't happy about.
I get that, I like that Ableton, Image Line, Bitwig and MOTU are all independent outfits. Makes me less worried than I get with Roli, NI, being bought by investors, or Steinberg, Pro Tools, Logic, Akai, Cakewalk etc. being small potatoes to their larger corporate conglomerates.

I always used Reason rewired though, so to me it's a super ROMpler. :)

machinesworking wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:33 amI always used Reason rewired though, so to me it's a super ROMpler. :)
Yeah, then I'd assume you're in the camp that's happy about Rack Plugin and their mainly focusing on that, instead of the DAW? Although probably less happy about Rewire disappearing?
Music tech enthusiast

Bah! I cannot be blackmailed like that. Me and Reason 11 suite 4ever it is if they insist then. I got what I need and far beyond.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:42 am
machinesworking wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:33 amI always used Reason rewired though, so to me it's a super ROMpler. :)
Yeah, then I'd assume you're in the camp that's happy about Rack Plugin and their mainly focusing on that, instead of the DAW? Although probably less happy about Rewire disappearing?
Rewire could have been absolutely great! You could see it's potential with DAWs like Reaper that could be a Rewire slave while still hosting VSTs. This would solve so many porting between DAWs annoyances. But yeah, they decided to jettison it instead. On Mac OS anyway, all the parts are there for rewire to be built up as a stand alone application that does what Reaper can do, sync both timelines, and allow audio to be streamed into one. Rewire also never accesed more than one Core though, so it's not that much better than a Rack plug in. Live 10 also had great rewire support, allowing Live to access Push 2 so you could use it as a drum machine etc.

Rewire is already causing problems on Mac OS, DP11 still must have partial support, and it crashes DP for some people. Rewire is dead, and if I'm smart I'll remove it before some update really hoses it.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

A couple cool things about 12, tab to flip the rack works in the Reason Rack plug in.
I like the browsing with arrow keys for presets, why is this so often not done?

machinesworking wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:08 amA couple cool things about 12, tab to flip the rack works in the Reason Rack plug in.
That was actually added in one of the v11.x releases.
machinesworking wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:08 amI like the browsing with arrow keys for presets, why is this so often not done?
It does in many DAWs, that have a dedicated "focus" mode when the device "knows" patches for it are being browsed, e.g. Live's hot-swap mode, Bitwig's pop-up browser when as hit B when device is selected, etc.
Music tech enthusiast

£199 for ultra late graphics, shove it.
Nova II, FL20+Fire, Sytrus, Transistor Bass, DUNE 3, Thorn, Viper, ANA 2 SynthMaster, Discovery Pro, Reason, SugarBytes, SoundToys, LION, TRIAD, Plugin-Alliance, T-Racks, AmpliTube, MODO Drum/Bass, iZotope MPS 2.
One Day: FLEXXX, Alpha Forever, Diversion 2

Who didn't see this coming? Add a subscription model. Attempt to get everyone on board. Say, sure, there will be standalone versions still. But now, let's almost double the price of an upgrade or new license.

DJBuddhaBear wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:51 am Who didn't see this coming? Add a subscription model. Attempt to get everyone on board. Say, sure, there will be standalone versions still. But now, let's almost double the price of an upgrade or new license.
The hike? I don't see anyone saw it coming. I definitely didn't see anyone predicting it and I'm active on several forums... What everyone assumed is that RS will stop - or further slow down - development of the DAW, maintain high price on new REs sold in Shop while adding stuff for "free" to the R+ thus making it more compelling to subscribe and use the Rack in other DAW.

I actually hope both aren't true, i.e. they seem to be commited to developing the DAW at least where it overlaps with Rack Plugin or where it's necessary to catch up and they said multiple times that permanent licenses aren't going anywhere. So in the end the price has to be weighted vs. new & improved features you're getting. For some everything we alrady got in v12 and know is coming will not be enough, for others a single feature - be it high-res, AS support, VST3 support, etc. - might do it.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”