Unfiltered Audio Silo - is the whole greater than the sum of its parts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Plugin Alliance Mega Sale is running and so I've downloaded Silo to demo it. I was quite surprised that I was into it at the first test as it is usual works with Unfiltered Audio's plugins for me. Really underwhelming. I tested Silo against a simple Live fx chain (Granular Delay, Reverb), a Max4Live fx chain (Lambda, Convolution Verb) a VST fx chain (MBGranular, ValhallaVintageVerb) and I got quite similar results as well as more impressive results sometimes. I don't used the spatial part much I have to admit. And I have to admit that I spend max an hour with Silo so maybe there is something I missed? It's now to grab at 29.99 but if it will just collect dust (like many UA plugins on my side) it's not worth.

What do you think? Should I spend a bit more time with Silo? Is the whole really greater than the sum of its parts? What did I maybe missed while demoing Silo?
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

You got some nice plugins that will do it for you. I like the simple interface and the conveniance of not having to create a complex signal chain when I am jamming out material. I picked it up for $15.00 with a voucher not long ago. I wouldn't pay regular asking price but it is worth it to me when on sale. . Right now it is on sale again with a $20.00 voucher up until October 2 for $29.99.
Last edited by Scotty on Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scotty wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:45 am You got some nice plugins that will do it for you. I like the simple interface. I picked it up for $15.00 with a voucher not long ago. I wouldn't pay regular asking price. Right now it is on sale again with a $20.00 voucher up until October 2.
I see. Sure one plugin with one page interface is easier to operate than two or three separate plugins. And when one of this plugins is by Melda things tend to get a bit cluttered :hihi:
I don't want to hit the PA/UA trap again. I got all UA plugins but only G8 and BYOME/TRIAD are in occasional use the rest rod at my hdd.
I'll test Silo a bit more as I still have a bit of time till the sale ends and I'll test it against BYOME this time. Let's see how it holds up. I love reverb and granular synthesis but Silo? :?

I demo'd Byome and Triad but didn't get into them. I like most of the other Unfiltered Audio plugins. I am a Melda user and yes sometimes you wind up in engineering mode with their plugins when I prefer to be in creative mode. It depends on where I am in the process. Sometimes the deeper functions win me over when I am polishing stuff but if I am just capturing ideas I like simpler plugins which may get swapped out later. By the way don't forget to scrub the audio on the wave display in Silo. I didn't realize that it was interactive with the mouse and it opened up the sound quite a bit. Sorry if that was obvious. I missed it.

Not that anyone cares but I'll skip Silo. BYOME as well as TRIAD are way more powerful for my use cases. Silo feels a bit like a random product to me.

I can't speak for Silo, but the I picked up BYOME some time back. The various fx didn't really me sound/quality wise to make the neat all in one interface push me to really user it much.

It didn't grab when I had some initial play arounds. Probably means it's great and I jumped to conclusions too quickly and should give it a more in depth try... :hihi:

noiseresearch wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:29 am Unfiltered Audio's plugins for me.
Maybe you could change the thread title to say Unfiltered Audio?

UA is Univeral Audio...

_leras wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:27 pm
noiseresearch wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:29 am Unfiltered Audio's plugins for me.
Maybe you could change the thread title to say Unfiltered Audio?

UA is Univeral Audio...
sure?

https://www.abbreviations.com/UA

sorry, couldn't resist

for multi-effects I prefer simpler stuff like Soundspot: Nebula, Paradox, Nevo (multi-saturator)..

I have been enjoying Silo, sometimes getting great results, but when all 3 effects (including spatial)

Other times I am struggling with it, but I am still learning it.

The presets are fairly useless imo

I don't do much with granular so picked it up when I could get it cheap (£13) and I'm happy with it. Nice GUI, all in one, some lovely sounds from the Spatial section, not sure I'll ever use it on any thing rhythmic but I like what it can do with pianos etc.

Only compared it to the free Fracture and Byomes granulator and prefer it to both of those so... hardly essential if you have the other toys but I'd give it a 7/10.
soma1985 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:48 am The presets are fairly useless imo
Yeah, that seems to be the way with UA, nice illustrations of what you could do but not what you necessarily would do... ;)

Presets for granular plugins are always tricky as granular synthesis highly depends on the material you are feeding it into. To take with a pinch of salt and explore on your own for the best discoveries.

I think it's a great sounding plugin, really using it a lot

Its absolutely great, no other granular fx can do what this does. Finally long grains (up to one second) and useful shapes. Also the ring buffer recording can be up to 9 seconds. My advice is to start tweaking instead of preset hopping… Inspiring and fun to fiddle… Worth much more than I spent…

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:42 pm Its absolutely great, no other granular fx can do what this does. Finally long grains (up to one second) and useful shapes. Also the ring buffer recording can be up to 9 seconds. My advice is to start tweaking instead of preset hopping… Inspiring and fun to fiddle… Worth much more than I spent…
Exactly - and treat it like a musical instrument, not a passive effect

Return to “Effects”