Whats your all-purpose/secret sauce compressor plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i actually forgot that DC8C also has “easy modes“ until it was mentioned here.
That's not to sound snobbish because i'm using the “pro mode“ all the time as it is actually really easier for me, because everything happens “naturally“ and gradually with each move, while with different algos you are suddenly pretty much almost in a different universe in every one of them that you have to explore and learn first really well to know what actually makes each of them unique.
Maybe it helps that my introduction to compression has been with Kjaerhus Golden Compressor, which pretty much can be seen as an early spiritual predecessor of Unisum as it is actually not that far off from it's tweakability.
Having said this though, Unisum's tweaker's tap still feels a bit alien to me, even though i can achieve great things with it, but not with fully knowledge what actually happens. :party:
Wish i could save these as own compressor templates.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

hoxclab wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:11 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:22 pm Ozone 9 is hardly a compressor :D
If we’re playing dirty then Voxengo premium bundle (everything) for less beats izotope for every penny twice
Voxengo looks so bad.
beauty is in the eye of the beholder, i love voxengo look

OK, so this is neither "secret sauce" nor all-purpose, but my go-to for punchy in-your-face vocals and bass is the good ol' Waves CLA-2A. Sometimes, I just add a little sprinkle and, other times, I layer it on thick like peanut butter.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Ploki wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:08 pm
If we’re playing dirty then Voxengo premium bundle (everything) for less beats izotope for every penny twice
Voxengo looks so bad.
I like them too, especially the black ones, but there are some not so fitting colorway presets for sure.

But in the end, do you decide what to use depending on the best looks, or the best sound?

And regarding Ozone hardly being a compressor: why not?
I heard it a few times where people really liked the comp of Ozone or Trash.
For me, they already have way too sluggish GUIs and use too much CPU, but if it works for people, it of course can be their weapon

FapFilter wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:11 pm
Ploki wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:08 pm
Voxengo looks so bad.
I like them too, especially the black ones, but there are some not so fitting colorway presets for sure.

But in the end, do you decide what to use depending on the best looks, or the best sound?

And regarding Ozone hardly being a compressor: why not?
I heard it a few times where people really liked the comp of Ozone or Trash.
For me, they already have way too sluggish GUIs and use too much CPU, but if it works for people, it of course can be their weapon
Because its a multi tool- also a compressor but “ozone” is like 10 plugins, 2 compressors and 2 limiters iirc

So is Drumformer, but it has still my favorite gate for what i reach first when i want a smooth and easy to dial in sound.
So yes, Drumformer is my personal best gate - and not MB comp, EQ, or saturator, etc.

And i even forgot that from i think it was O7 onward, you can also load up all of it's components as separate dedicated plugins if you own the Advanced version(s)

Drumformer is definitely secret sauce material.

All-purpose for me screams Pro-C though... which isn't much of a secret.

Maybe Voxengo Marquis.

Yes, Marquis is AWESOME!

(despite “missing“ one or two more controls for even more flexibility)

I use Mcompressor and NI Solid dynamics all the time. They are both incredibly easy to dial in to a nice sound. I have lots of others that are handy for many other uses, but for most individual tracks those are my first choices.
The one exception is Waves' RVox which I almost always use for vocals. It's one of the easiest compressors around.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:23 am
The one exception is Waves' RVox which I almost always use for vocals. It's one of the easiest compressors around.
Totally agree! So simple, but so effective :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

A lot of people here mentioned RVox, so i tried if i can get similar action with any of my compressors so i dont need to buy another (because it does work stupid and to the point).
So if anyone wants RVox and has Pro-C2:
Pro-C2 "Vocal" style
attack 0.005ms, lookahead 0.90ms
release 2500ms.
Threshold to taste, like with RVox.
it's a bit faster on the tail of the release.

I have tons of compressors here but I pretty much do everything with TDR Molot GE and Kotelnikov GE. I also like Fircomp 2 a lot!

heavymetalmixer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:06 pm TDR Kotelnikov, it sounds good on everything, even though it's a clean compressor.
I'll probably get laughed at or corrected but I like this one too. Took a shine back when & stuck with. Still use ye olde PSP and stock gens as well. I'm not enough of an international sensation to require much more than that.
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

?
Was it ever in question that Kotelnikov is awesome?
It's not light on the CPU though - like pretty much everything from TDR

Return to “Effects”