Baby Audio Taip - AI-based tape effect

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

3ee wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:01 am Don't want to be teh party pooper but, what's with the 'monstrous aliasing' ?' :borg:

The tech is interesting tho.. probably people would have complained about CPU usage if oversampling was used.
Thanks for being "that guy!" Saves me the trouble. I checked out something else from Baby Audio once before and wasn't impressed. I'll also be that guy and just pass on this one entirely if they're not doing anything to reduce aliasing.

Coming from Baby Audio I'm not expecting a "mastering" grade audio plugin, but I can usually count on them being pretty fun to use and so far Taip is no exception. There's plenty of tone shaping flexibility here and I'm liking the glue control which behaves kind of like an upward compressor. One thing which wasn't immediately obvious at first is there appears to be a soft clipper or limiter always engaged on the main outs, so both the Drive and Output knobs can be pushed independently to offer their own distortion characteristics. The CPU usage is probably middle of the pack, far less than IKM's Tape Machines, but can't compete with other very efficient alternatives like KiiveAudio's Tape Face which not only offers more oversampling control, but is also zero latency. Overall Taip's intro price seems quite fair for something like this.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:37 pm
3ee wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:01 am Don't want to be teh party pooper but, what's with the 'monstrous aliasing' ?' :borg:

The tech is interesting tho.. probably people would have complained about CPU usage if oversampling was used.
Thanks for being "that guy!" Saves me the trouble. I checked out something else from Baby Audio once before and wasn't impressed. I'll also be that guy and just pass on this one entirely if they're not doing anything to reduce aliasing.
From what I can tell in plugindoctor, you have to drive the in or out pretty hard > 10db (don't remember exact number) before it starts aliasing. I think one reason for the latency, as well as the behavior when enabling/disabling the plugin, that there's at least some kind of oversampling going on, but I could be wrong.

Though Neold Big Al has a smoother frequency response and phase (overall), it's easier to get Big Al to alias in the audible range (> 10hz, < 20khz) than TAIP. Somewhat comparable overall, though.

Great news! TAIP look first sight VERY interesting, and as with Smooth Operator and Space Out (my favs) I am sure it will ensures lot of fun and professional results.

I've been a little bit skeptical with the plugins that are out there on the same subject of tape characteristics emulation, but TAIP looks different and pretty outstanding! AI algorithm and the quote about the use of artificial intelligence make me very intrigued.

I can't wait to try it! THANKS, Baby Audio.
Session guitarist and music producer from Venezuela
One of my old demos: (Scarbee and Overloud)
https://bit.ly/3mDq0D3

Algorithm itself is not AI, algorithm was designed with tape machine analysis guided by AI.
it's basically black-box approach, but automated.

Considering it's based on a80 and sounds really similar to u-he satin a800 preset they like did something right, but it's more "out there" compared to satin probably due to AI. at more tame settings it's pretty authentic imo

AI doesn't exist. It's a marketing buzzword. Even the top scientists in the world are not able to do proper AI in any field. Let alone in music software.

Plugin devs that use the term AI are either misleading customers, or too stupid to know what AI really is. Both cases are a good reason to avoid them.
More BPM please

f**k it's a marketing term for machine learning. its fine, let people have their candy

I tried using DrMS (Mathew Lane) to increase 3d stage feel of the audio.
Then next alternating with TAIP and softube tape.
Softube is able to retain the spatial senses created by DrMS.
I have also just purchased softube Overstayer and I learn to love the openness when a saturator can keep the spatial feel.

Tried this on the master bus, didn't like it so much but then tried it on a few different guitar tracks.

Interesting results for sure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S0JL7b5NZc

SteveWZ wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:32 am Tried this on the master bus, didn't like it so much but then tried it on a few different guitar tracks.

Interesting results for sure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S0JL7b5NZc
Seems to excel at track tape action rather than master bus.

dionenoid wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:01 am AI doesn't exist. It's a marketing buzzword. Even the top scientists in the world are not able to do proper AI in any field. Let alone in music software.

Plugin devs that use the term AI are either misleading customers, or too stupid to know what AI really is. Both cases are a good reason to avoid them.
This is incorrect. You're likely thinking of superintelligent AI.

briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:21 am
dionenoid wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:01 am AI doesn't exist. It's a marketing buzzword. Even the top scientists in the world are not able to do proper AI in any field. Let alone in music software.

This is incorrect. You're likely thinking of superintelligent AI.
Nope. AI doesn't exist yet. What companies call AI is just machine learning, or mostly even just averaging based on measurements.

But it's a common mistake. Big companies have been using the term AI for all kinds of products, so much so that most ppl actually believe that it exists. But it's nothing more than a marketing word.

Here's some scientific pages about it :

https://towardsdatascience.com/no-artif ... 18d83fdfe8

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... exist-yet/

https://www.swoknews.com/opinion/wannab ... bf774.html
More BPM please

Meh, semantics. I did AI at University, and all the branches came under the general term Artificial Inteligence

todd_r wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:29 am Meh, semantics. I did AI at University, and all the branches came under the general term Artificial Inteligence
You did "AI" at University but don't even know how to spell "intelligence". :lol:
More BPM please

congrats, you're now as smart as Microsoft's Clippy

Return to “Effects”