Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

Teksonik wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:19 pm Has there been any mention of a demo release date? Still interested in giving it a go.
Testing it now, should be Monday or Tuesday worst case
Teksonik wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:19 pm I agree an FS1R would be much preferred although finding a unit to emulate could be somewhat difficult and expensive. But I've seen enough people ask for an FS1R emulation over the years that one could possibly be a financial success. (The SY99 being at least partially sample based may cause legal issues if emulated)
We actually have an FS1R and most other mainline Yamaha units of the 80s and 90s.
Only thing missing is a FVX-1 (we accept donations). Not sure about the financial success part though.
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

Over the last 20 years i'm waiting for a TG-77 emulation.
After the FM7 in the past I got hope but now and today I believe I give it up...
OPS7 sounds like 1983 but not even like the DX7II ?
Why not import of the performances?

If you got and Fs1r please emulate this synth.

davidv@plogue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:23 pm Testing it now, should be Monday or Tuesday worst case
Cool looking forward. :tu:
davidv@plogue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:23 pmWe actually have an FS1R and most other mainline Yamaha units of the 80s and 90s.
Only thing missing is a FVX-1 (we accept donations). Not sure about the financial success part though.
Awesome! We'll expect an FS1R emulation sometime next week..... :hihi:

But seriously I've seen a lot of people wanting an FS1R emulation over the years. Whether that lust would turn into adequate sales I can't say but I can say I'd be a buyer. :D
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

OrionAlpha101 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:54 pm Over the last 20 years i'm waiting for a TG-77 emulation.
After the FM7 in the past I got hope but now and today I believe I give it up...
OPS7 sounds like 1983 but not even like the DX7II ?
Why not import of the performances?

If you got and Fs1r please emulate this synth.
Oh yeas please ..
I have a tg77 but just can't bring it up to install a new display
If plogue would do a tg77 emu that would be ace ! (waveblade included :lol: )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Teksonik wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:19 pm (The SY99 being at least partially sample based may cause legal issues if emulated?)
There's always the possibility to reach an agreement with Yamaha. I don't think they behave the same way as Roland, and the samples are quite old.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:11 pm
Teksonik wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:19 pm (The SY99 being at least partially sample based may cause legal issues if emulated?)
There's always the possibility to reach an agreement with Yamaha. I don't think they behave the same way as Roland, and the samples are quite old.
I suppose it's possible. Are you aware of any such agreement between a plugin developer and Yamaha?

I suppose it's also possible Yamaha no longer hold the copyright to the samples, it has expired etc.

I'd love to see an SY99 emulation just not sure what hurdles would have to be cleared for that to happen. I'd be a buyer. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

fmr wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:56 pm
OrionAlpha101 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:43 pm Another boring DX7 plugin!
Why nobody makes the FS1r or even the SY99?
Although I see some potential in this (if David is willing to take some extra steps and make a DX5/DX1, or even the DX7II, and polish the GUI and other aspects that are pulling the synth down) I am with you in that I would rather prefer a SY99 (IMO one of the best synths EVER made - I own it) and/or the FS1R. :tu:
the dx1 and dx5 are essentially two dx7's .
And the plugin has two layers for dx1 or dx 5 duties
Almost all yamaha rom cards are available on the sector 101/waveblade site , it has been for years and YAMAHA (unlike Roland ) obviously doesn't make a problem out of it
https://www.sector101.co.uk/waveblade.html
Eyeball exchanging

davidv@plogue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:50 pm
mofufu wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:57 am I honestly can't see why this is not one of the highest priorities in plugin design in this era, second only to in-depth modelling :?: :?: :?:
Your MIDI settings will not be replaced if you just load DX7 sysex presets (the same is true in PortaFM/SFC/MD if you "rip" or use 'single' sound presets). Only the top main recall presets, which contain {nearly} everything.

I know custom MIDI mapping is important to many, but certain MIDI maps also can be used creatively in sound design, say CC1 to TL of a modulator. We know its not perfect, and are thinking about solutions.

Another option many people use is Komplete Kontrol/Maschine (NKS) controllers. Where everything is pre mapped always. Its not like we dont care.
Thanks David, that sounds promising - for PortaFM, when you say "rip" or use single sound presets, do you mean those from the custom sound dropdown list?

Also, good to know there's a demo coming for OPS7 :tu:

mofufu wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:50 pm Thanks David, that sounds promising - for PortaFM, when you say "rip" or use single sound presets, do you mean those from the custom sound dropdown list?
That or from OPLL or OPL2 (SoundBlaster) VGM files if you want to study early sound design of course ;)
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:22 pm Almost all yamaha rom cards are available on the sector 101/waveblade site , it has been for years and YAMAHA (unlike Roland ) obviously doesn't make a problem out of it
Well, this only confirms my impression that it would be easy to reach an agreement with Yamaha. But if I was a developer, I would not risk to launch an audio instrument without clearing that previously, of course.
Fernando (FMR)

But aren't those samples to be used in Yamaha synths?

Are there samples that can be downloaded for use in current VSTi synths? I'm not seeing any at first glance.

You're right that coming to an agreement with Yahamha would be a good idea before any developer proceeds with an emulation project. The fact that there is no direct emulation of the SY99 yet could be an indication. (I'm aware of the UVI stuff but those are just samples of patches they've created. If they're anything like the VFX samples they did they completely miss the mark.)

Teksonik wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:14 pm But aren't those samples to be used in Yamaha synths?

Yes
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:18 pm
Teksonik wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:14 pm But aren't those samples to be used in Yamaha synths?
Yes
So how would that translate to the legality of creating an SY99 emulation plugin?

(I have no idea I'm just asking. I'd love to see an SY99 emu but if it's not legally possible then there's no sense dreaming)

Teksonik wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:02 pm
davidv@plogue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:23 pmWe actually have an FS1R and most other mainline Yamaha units of the 80s and 90s.
Awesome! We'll expect an FS1R emulation sometime next week..... :hihi:

But seriously I've seen a lot of people wanting an FS1R emulation over the years. Whether that lust would turn into adequate sales I can't say but I can say I'd be a buyer. :D
Count me in too. And if you ever go for the SY99, it would be a first day purchase by me, no questions asked :wink:

As I said, I have a real SY99, as well as a TG77 (expanded with a Musitronics ROM card). These were my main synth for years, and I have piles of my own presets programmed, as well as piles of other presets, all stored in SoundDiver format and in floppies (but I'm not sure the floppies are still readable, and my SY99 floppy disk drive is long gone).
Fernando (FMR)

Bick Tick Rhino can capture that SY vibe, it's kind of outdated in operation though.

Return to “Instruments”