Drum generating plugin that follows tracks

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe I'm hoping for too much here, but I'm looking for a smart or AI plugin that can come up with complementary beats for existing tracks.
I have a bunch of drum plugins, MIDI and WAV files but they seem very limited and it can take hours going through them to find anything even close to what I'm looking for.
Even tried extracting a groove from the instrumental track in Ableton onto a MIDI drum file, but it still doesn't have the right feel.
Used to jam with a drummer who could handle doubles and triplets in the same bar, and knew when to hold back or go wild. But then she went off & had a baby, so I'm just looking for a plugin to keep me busy till she's ready to come back.
Suggestions?

Jamstix
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Jamstix will not do this automatically, but it's as close as you can get to having a real drummer without being able to lay down drum tracks yourself.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

true and in fairness I should have commented of the learning curve :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

If you're on Mac, Logic Pro X Drummer is outstanding.
I mostly use Ableton Live, but still turn to Drummer for this.

Almost like a real drummer...to be more realistic:
- at least half of the included drummers would be named 'Mike'
- it wouldn't own a car and would always ask you for rides and 'just a little help carrying my gear', and
- it would hit on your significant other/spouse during set breaks...
...all things I've experienced in my 36 years as a working bass player :party:

Agreeing with Jamstix. It's really cool in that it makes decisions on the fly, rather than use an assortment of ready - but static - MIDI packs à la EZDrummer. To me, it might not make so much difference during normal rhythm playing, but it makes a huge difference to fills. In Jamstix, these are all made up on the fly, meaning no fills will sound the same in your song.

I must say I'm not happy about the latest versions of it, which I think are too complicated and more geared towards real drummers than to us who just want a complementary drum track. Still, you should get it sorted within a few hours tops. Note that there is a rather generous free version of Jamstix. Maybe it will suffice for your needs.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Actually, thinking of triplets and doubles in the same bar, you might actually appreciate the more advanced features of Jamstix, so I'd say it's Jamstix hands down for you. ;) Note that it can be extended with percussion ("jamcussion") and various sorts of drum styles and drum sounds, so you can tweak it to your needs.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Winstontaneous wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:18 pm If you're on Mac, Logic Pro X Drummer is outstanding.
I mostly use Ableton Live, but still turn to Drummer for this.

Almost like a real drummer...to be more realistic:
- at least half of the included drummers would be named 'Mike'
- it wouldn't own a car and would always ask you for rides and 'just a little help carrying my gear', and
- it would hit on your significant other/spouse during set breaks...
...all things I've experienced in my 36 years as a working bass player :party:
+1 for this. Logic Pro Drummer is really flexible and gives me a different flavour to drums to Ableton. I suppose it’s £199 (I got a student bundle discount) but I’ve spent more on individual plugins…..

I have no experience with the products mentioned, but what i would try doing is use the other tracks as a sort of template, if its got a rhythm, to tweek an aproximate drum groove. I'd much rather explore possibilities this way than search for a workable sample, if no real drummer is available.

Sounds like you need to learn about tempomaps in daws.

Whem juzt uzing a midi clock it can give some interesting chamges within tbe pattern.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”