Wavestate, or Modwave

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just seen this posted:

https://youtu.be/YwCqt-5M0l4

Not sure if this is with original samples or now imported user samples, but does show how subtle and ambient the Wavestate can be, if that's what you like.
<List your stupid gear here>

pdxindy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:06 pm The Wavestate looks excellent, but I am fairly sure I would find the workflow too daunting and end up mainly using presets. The Modwave looks more like a UI that I would dig into and make my own sounds. I just haven't been inspired by the sounds in the various Modwave demos I've heard. Not that it doesn't sound good cause it does, but for me to buy a hardware synth, it has to inspire somehow. I was considering ordering one, but I never came across a demo that made me go, okay there it is.

I ended up ordering the new Waldorf M. Most of the M demos have been without FX (it has none) and it catches my ears with tones that do it for me. There is something unique there.
That’s how I feel, though now that UDO has a module, the Super 6 is also tugging at my divide-down heart strings. Then the Hydrasynth Deluxe got announced, so now I’m torn between the three. The Hydrasynth is my least favorite but I’ve been looking for a new polyphonic aftertouch controller.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:51 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:06 pm The Wavestate looks excellent, but I am fairly sure I would find the workflow too daunting and end up mainly using presets. The Modwave looks more like a UI that I would dig into and make my own sounds. I just haven't been inspired by the sounds in the various Modwave demos I've heard. Not that it doesn't sound good cause it does, but for me to buy a hardware synth, it has to inspire somehow. I was considering ordering one, but I never came across a demo that made me go, okay there it is.

I ended up ordering the new Waldorf M. Most of the M demos have been without FX (it has none) and it catches my ears with tones that do it for me. There is something unique there.
That’s how I feel, though now that UDO has a module, the Super 6 is also tugging at my divide-down heart strings. Then the Hydrasynth Deluxe got announced, so now I’m torn between the three. The Hydrasynth is my least favorite but I’ve been looking for a new polyphonic aftertouch controller.
The Hydrasynth Deluxe looks like an appealing controller. I don't currently have a 61 note keyboard in the studio. I ordered the Polybrute which should be here in a week or two. It is 61 keys and has the X/Y/Z morph pad and the ribbon controller. The Polybrute plus the Osmose creeping towards release, dims my interest in the Hydrasynth Deluxe as a controller. Plus I just don't find myself attracted to the sound of the Hydrasynth itself.

Who knows when the UDO module will be out. I dropped the idea of the Super 6 cause it is supposed to support MPE but it is still not there in the firmware. I'm developing an allergy to gear that is a work in progress.

We have a lot of good gear to choose from these days!

As for price, I got my Modwave here for about $710 U.S. here in Canada.

It's funny guys, I keep hearing people complaining, or at least, not liking Hydrasynth's sound. I've not had the privledge of actually hearing it in person, alas, but I can't see how, with its dense and hugely varied filtering capabilities, that you can't come up with good to great sounds. It sure sounds good to me from the YT videos I have seen. Due to my 2 keyboards having different issues, varied erroneous data going into Reason/Cubase, and after seeing the deluxe looking Deluxe with the 73 keys, ribbon, and, 2 engines so configurable, I'm having issues resisting the temptation. One aspect of Modwave I also love the look of is the Kaoss stuff. The Opsix, I am also sure, can be covered by the huge and brilliantly incorporated FM in the Hydrasynth too, which is why I didn't entertain it as a possibility. I mean, cost wise, all 3 of those seem incredibly cheap for their inherent powers.
Last edited by rockmachine on Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockmachine wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:42 pm It's funny guys, I keep hearing people complaining, or at least, not liking Hydrasynth's sound. I've not had the privledge of actually hearing it in person, alas, but I can't see how, with its dense and hugely varied filtering capabilities, that you can't come up with good to great sounds. I sure sounds good to me from the YT videos I seen.
I don't think it sounds bad... but it just doesn't speak to me. I just find it uninteresting... maybe a bit flat sounding or something like that.

I watched a guy do a side by side test between a revised Model D Mini and Hydrasynth for bass type sounds, saw and square waves, and the Hydra matched it in my opinion, plus, was better down very low whereas the mini actually seemed a little weaker in the lowest registers. I've got a friend in England who's been awed by the Wavestate and who also owns the Hydrasynth. I'm leaning towards that combination, but it'll be the Deluxe 73 note for sure, due to the 2 engines. The number of excellent Youtube videos for both machines has been both informative and helpful, that's for sure.

I have a Modwave, so I am stuck with my choice, and I think it was a good one.
My first new synth in almost 3 years as I vetoed every other choice, and now I have bought
the Modwave, it will have to do for another long while.

I find it matches well with the Blofeld, and although a different tone to the Blofeld,
stands well against it when both patches are written to bypass the filters, to minimize a filters characteristics.

IMO, a wavetable should be able to stand on it's own, without going through a filter.

But when I do use the filter, I find the Modwave's to do gentler to the wavetable than the Blofeld.

The Blofeld and the Modwave both have their advantages and disadvantages.

This is not a football game, so it is not synth x vs. synth y, but rather compare and contrast!

Can't comment on the Wavestate though. Never have owned and played one.

I bought the wavestate but I can't do anything with it. just can't enjoy using it at all. I dont want to trigger elaborate breathy sequencer using relative steps? just a very alien experience and not my thing. too cheap to really sell without losing a lot on fees and shipping so it is just sitting there.

gminorcoles wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:52 pm I bought the wavestate but I can't do anything with it. just can't enjoy using it at all. I dont want to trigger elaborate breathy sequencer using relative steps? just a very alien experience and not my thing. too cheap to really sell without losing a lot on fees and shipping so it is just sitting there.
How long you had it?

i listened lot of demo online and for me it seems the Xd seems more intresting sonically cause of his caractere when having many plugins already ,at least for my taste and never used these synths

gminorcoles wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:52 pm I bought the wavestate but I can't do anything with it. just can't enjoy using it at all. I dont want to trigger elaborate breathy sequencer using relative steps? just a very alien experience and not my thing. too cheap to really sell without losing a lot on fees and shipping so it is just sitting there.
This is why I didn't bought Wavestate/Modwave. Instantly I had the feeling that I'll not enjoy it. For me it's overall UX, user interface and need for menu diving. I like to have fun with synth and with those I feel like I'm at work - if this makes any sense.

It's just me or those synths sound like they have low sample rate? Like idk... 32kHz SR. Kinda like early plugins. When I'm listening to demos I feel like there's a brickwall LPF with digital artifacts.
I don't hear that in other "current gen" synths or even in Jv1080 which has low sample rate.

Is this how they supposed to sound? To emulate old digital synths?

Are you listening through Youtube. The only way IMO is to hook up some headphones and listen for yourself.

pixel85 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:46 am It's just me or those synths sound like they have low sample rate? Like idk... 32kHz SR. Kinda like early plugins. When I'm listening to demos I feel like there's a brickwall LPF with digital artifacts.
I don't hear that in other "current gen" synths or even in Jv1080 which has low sample rate.

zaphod betamax wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:32 pm Are you listening through Youtube. The only way IMO is to hook up some headphones and listen for yourself.

pixel85 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:46 am It's just me or those synths sound like they have low sample rate? Like idk... 32kHz SR. Kinda like early plugins. When I'm listening to demos I feel like there's a brickwall LPF with digital artifacts.

Yes but it means nothing because other synths listened through YT doesn't have this kind of a 'signature sound'. It's only in those two synths that I can hear it. I doubt that videos of those synths are recorded in 128kbps on purpose ;)

Naturally, it's always best to go to the shop and listen. It's not always possible tho.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”