Your fave MIDI fx, arp, mapper, mangler, generator, chorder, controller, utility. VST or MFX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ThomasHelzle wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:52 pm Yeah, as a VST and with a more streamlined usage concept, I would be all over this - the principle is great.
And if it wouldn't use one core even when idle - that is silly for a Midi generator.
But why does he need three different, separate mouse modes for selection, placing new points and connecting them?
And setting values like note values is really badly done.
Is that based on a game engine?
And yeah, I don't want steam running on my production system.

Will have to see if something clicks for me with more demo time, so far it didn't.

But I think I'll rather get the original, Nodal 2: https://nodalmusic.com
Looks much deeper with the node/note scripting and while it's external too, probably lighter on the CPU - will test tomorrow.

Cheers,

Tom
be interested on how you find nodal comparatively - nodal did not click with me when I tried it a while back - one of the things I liked about the video look at midinous was it seemed easier and more powerful than Nodal. But maybe I am misremembering - will demo both

@dopet
Thanks for the info on note needed to sync w/DAW. Their support did respond as well. :wink:
dopet wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:16 pm ...Interestingly, the midi files exported out of InstaTrack (to the desktop, for example) don't open anywhere....

I could not load an InstaComp exported midi file into my standard editor - Sekaiju, though all my other midi tools accept it. The only thing noted was an extreme PPQ in the header - 33488.
I can see my editor being old/odd, but why S1 ver 5 is troubled :?:

What's the deal with Sugarbytes and VST3?

Alchemedia wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:48 am What's the deal with Sugarbytes and VST3?
I’m not sure, Jerry.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:03 am
Alchemedia wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:48 am What's the deal with Sugarbytes and VST3?
I’m not sure, Jerry.
"I am so busy doing nothing… that the idea of doing anything – which as you know, always leads to something – cuts into the nothing and then forces me to have to drop everything."

This was the reply I got back from support when I asked them about VST3 support:

Sugar Bytes Support wrote:unfortunately, there are no plans with VST3 on the table, yet but we may
consider this for the future in case VST3 assert better in all current DAWs.
To be honest right now VST3 standard does not bring any relevant
features for us and there are already a ton of interfaces to support, so
I doubt we wil consider this at least in near future.
Sorry for not having any better news for you!
:l

fairlyclose wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:17 am be interested on how you find nodal comparatively - nodal did not click with me when I tried it a while back - one of the things I liked about the video look at midinous was it seemed easier and more powerful than Nodal. But maybe I am misremembering - will demo both
Yeah, you are right. Nodal gave me the same somehow stale vibe I remember from many years ago.
I probably will pass on both of them, although I still think the principle is cool.

I currently get more fun out of bespoke: https://www.bespokesynth.com ;-)
Opensource, a full daw if you want, may become a VST in the future, tons of interesting Midi tools, Python scripting... Great for generative things.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

TR4 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:27 pm
This was the reply I got back from support when I asked them about VST3 support:

Sugar Bytes Support wrote:unfortunately, there are no plans with VST3 on the table, yet but we may
consider this for the future in case VST3 assert better in all current DAWs.
To be honest right now VST3 standard does not bring any relevant
features for us and there are already a ton of interfaces to support, so
I doubt we wil consider this at least in near future.
Sorry for not having any better news for you!
:l
Sugarbytes used to be such an innovative company.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:15 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:17 am be interested on how you find nodal comparatively - nodal did not click with me when I tried it a while back - one of the things I liked about the video look at midinous was it seemed easier and more powerful than Nodal. But maybe I am misremembering - will demo both
Yeah, you are right. Nodal gave me the same somehow stale vibe I remember from many years ago.
I probably will pass on both of them, although I still think the principle is cool.

I currently get more fun out of bespoke: https://www.bespokesynth.com ;-)
Opensource, a full daw if you want, may become a VST in the future, tons of interesting Midi tools, Python scripting... Great for generative things.

Cheers,

Tom
Played a bit with midinous (and nodal again) and I quite like midinous but still not a fan of nodal. Midinous is about the price of a one and a half pizzas here so will probably get it - will give it some more time first. Might contact the dev about some simple additions as well and see what he is like, but I found it very good for quickly generating various interlocking "In C" style fragments

But can you run it w/o Steam?

Alchemedia wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:12 pm But can you run it w/o Steam?
Dont think so - but I am now contrasting with using midi notes to trigger Stochas fragments and that might be easier to get similar. Having some trouble getting Stochas to start and stop or mute and unmute reliably tho.

EDIT - working a treat now - not sure why I was having so much trouble last night
Anyway Reaper, free item positioning mode and Stochas is a winner. I dont think I will bother with midinous now, although it is a great start from that developer

Another plus for Stochas is the Surge dev team is at the helm.

I certainly don't want Steam running on my production rig. So much for that.

tatanka wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:08 pmWonder if this is the long overdue of re-compose liquid notes
I asked. It is not. Still no news on an update for liquid notes.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

fairlyclose wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:21 pm
Dont think so - but I am now contrasting with using midi notes to trigger Stochas fragments and that might be easier to get similar. Having some trouble getting Stochas to start and stop or mute and unmute reliably tho.

EDIT - working a treat now - not sure why I was having so much trouble last night
Anyway Reaper, free item positioning mode and Stochas is a winner. I dont think I will bother with midinous now, although it is a great start from that developer
Would you mind providing a little additional detail regarding this Reaper/Stochas setup and how you are using it to get results similar to Midinous?

Thanks!

bharris22 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:02 am
fairlyclose wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:21 pm

Would you mind providing a little additional detail regarding this Reaper/Stochas setup and how you are using it to get results similar to Midinous?

Thanks!

this setup does not exactly mimic midinous but for my purposes this is the sort of thing I can do - and I quite like Midinous and will follow its development
make a sequence with Stochas, using the note probability options
set mute to C3 unmute to C2 in Stochas midimapping

make a midi clip for C2 and another for C3 and position them where you want on a free item position track in Reaper. Copy, Stretch and shorten the clips as desired (oh, Stochas is on this track so it can receive those C')

Anyway you can elaborate that to any extent

Return to “Effects”