Toneboosters Flowtones Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Sound Waves

Double post, sorry.

I think it sounds good, but it badly needs an easier way to display the modulated parameters (animated indicators would be great). And, of course, a mod matrix. 3 envelopes, 4 LFOs and no mod matrix? That makes absolutely no sense.
Also, there should be a way to link the amp and filters envelopes between oscillators. Most of the time I don't need separated envelopes for each oscillator.

TLDR, it's got a really bad workflow, IMO, against competition (very fierce these days). I hope it gets improved.

When a plugin needs such a drastic change from version 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 it's a bad sign. Also, versions of all TB plugins are updated without any sense of scale - a simple bug fix is treated the same as important new feature or big GUI alteration and gets an x.x.1 increase. Most developers would treat this GUI change worthy of version 2, or at least 1.1.

As a happy owner of several TB plugins, I'm sad to admit that Flowtones is underachiver (at the moment). Aside from offputting interface layout and confusing workflow, for me the biggest turn-off is the core synthesis engine. I've expected something else/more than subtractive OSCs with ring modulation (c'mon, it's 2021!). No amount of "vintageness" or post processing can fix that. The sounds coming out of it are super-MEH, I've installed and uninstalled it two times (v1.0.3 was a second chance) in under 10 minutes, without a hint of regret.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Sound Waves Soundset by Abc Sound Design for the ToneBoosters - Flowtones VSTi

Thanks to ToneBoosters for this innovative, highly recommended Synthesizer.
Flowtones is a analoger polyphoner Softsynth, with a surprisingly good sound.
Great, extraordinary, beautiful and easy-to-use graphical user interface.

Here are 100 High-Quality-Patches as a Thank-You Present for
the excellent ToneBoosters - Flowtones Virtual Synthesizer. 

Soundbank Details
• Inside: One Sound Waves Soundbank by Abc Sound Design with 100 Patches
• Genre: Ambient - Electro - Sci-Fi - Trance - EDM - Modern Synth Music
• 44x Arpeggios, 04x Effects, 15x Leads, 13x Pads, 24x Sequences
• For: ToneBoosters - Flowtones v1.0.3 or later
• BPM / Tempo: Select  " 120 " in your DAW
• Format: *. XML (Presets) & Zip file 
• Release Date: October 2021
• File Size: 1,95 MB
• Price: Free - Gift 

Sonic Sirius - Synthesizer Soundsets
Freeware Soundsets for Software and Hardware Synthesizer
http://ohlenbostelhelge.magix.net/public/

Royalty Free Soundset License
All ' Sonic Sirius ' Freeware Soundsets they can be used commercially
in things like movies, games,and anything else you might need a cool
sound for. You may not however redistribute them for a profit.

Free Download
http://ohlenbostelhelge.magix.net/public/misc.htm
Last edited by Future1313 on Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's their first synth. Synthesizers are not easy. Give them constructive criticism. Flowtones have some cool, unique features.

What’s unique about it?

have no idea
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Ploki wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:24 pm What’s unique about it?
What synth you have in mind to compare with it?

a9k1tp wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:19 am
Ploki wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:24 pm What’s unique about it?
What synth you have in mind to compare with it?
None in particular, just wondering what do you think is unique to it.

One (and probably the only) thing that stands out to me is intelligent randomiser.
There's randomisers in few drum synths, but i don't think i've seen one in general synths.

Future1313 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:58 pm Here are 100 High-Quality-Patches as a Thank-You Present for
the excellent ToneBoosters - Flowtones Virtual Synthesizer.
Although I don't own Flowtones yet I want to thank you for your generosity in sharing patches not just for this synth but for all the others on your site as well. Thank you for being a contributing member of the community :tu:
Ploki wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:29 am i don't think i've seen one in general synths.
I don't know if they quality as "intelligent" but Tone 2 synths have a randomiser or at least Warlock does.

As much as I like making my own patches I've found Warlock's randomiser about 90% effective at creating usable and often times inspiring patches. :tu:

Anyway my dyslexic brain can not see Flowtones without reading Flowstone. :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Oh. Its flowTones. I just read it as flowstones lol

Unfortunately,at the moment that synth should be called Fizz Tone :wink:
No auto tune...

Despite the somewhat harsh criticism from a few here, Flowtones is off to a great start. The updated GUI is a huge improvement, and the synth sounds great. I've never seen a GUI updated so quickly based on user feedback.

As for areas where improvement is needed: I would really like to see modulation improved. There is no aftertouch, and there should really be a way for velocity, modwheel, and aftertouch to scale LFO and envelopes on all mod destinations (rather than just mw+lfo on pitch). LFO Rand is not random, and so there is no real S+H LFO. Osc drift would also be a welcome addition.

The effects section, as one would expect from TB, is excellent.

teilo wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:06 pm Despite the somewhat harsh criticism from a few here, Flowtones is off to a great start....
For the record,I'm a Toneboosters fanboi since the early days and the effects plugins are first call for me...

Unfortunately,Flowtones (silly name) hasn't hit the spot, or even come close at this stage...

It's up against some stiff competition in a crowded marketplace and it needs more than a GUI update and a few small tweaks to get it up to speed :wink:
No auto tune...

Return to “Instruments”